Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Any advice would be very welcome ..........
Went out last night - no problems except there was a lot of rain and big puddles everywhere. Went to start the car this morning and it won't !!
All dash lights etc. are OK. All other electrical systems seem to be OK but when I turn the key - nothing - no clicks from relays, no click from solenoid, no starter motor.
Have checked fuses and they seem to be OK. I would suspect solenoid (maybe got soaked and hasn't recovered), but ........ although message centre works OK with clock, odometer and trip mileage, I get "Fuel Computer Data Error" for average MPH & MPG which makes me think that maybve fuel system isn't getting any power, thus preventing the ECU from "allowing" the car to start.
Anyway - if anyone has any ideas about where to look next, I would be extremely grateful.
Thanks,
David.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
You could try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, that may allow the computer to clear it's memory and restart.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried jump or bump starting the car (if manual)?

It is possible your battery has sufficient charge to light bulbs etc but not enough to engage the starter solenoid though the lack of clicking is suspicious...

If you have a voltmeter to hand check you have power to the starter solenoid

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Redfox and OriginalCaruso. Will try those ideas. Rain lashing down at the moment so not ideal for electrical diagnosis !! However - if it was "just" the battery, I don't think I would be getting the strange message on the dash.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
It is possible - low voltage causes some weird stuff to happen - "electronic farts"

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
I had that message just before my fuel pump gave up. But when it eventually did, the car would turn over but not start (obviously, the fuel pump died on me, i blame high speed ;)) So its leaning towards the battery, for now.

Best bet is to try jump starting off another car/batt.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The plot thickens ............. Disconnected battery for 30 minutes - still won't start. Connected up my volt-meter. Key out and nothing on = 12.16 volts. Ignition on = drops to 11.98 volts. Turn key to "start" position = no change. I would take that to mean that no volts are getting to the solenoid ? And - when I turn to "start" position, touch screen goes blank.
Also ........ When ignition is turned on - I get a red warning light on the water temp gauge and the red "alarm" light is illuminated. This stays on for about 30 seconds, then flashes 4 pause 2 pause 4 pause 2 - which would indicate some sort of code, but can't find any mention of this in owner's handbook. Any ideas anyone ?? The battery is probably the original, so many years old and maybe on its way out so will replace it anyway.
Cheers,
David.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
you say the battery reads under 12 volts when ignition on? The battery is goosed. These x types are funny things they'll run the lights and everything else, but the starter is a fussy bitch. They like to have plenty of juice in them at all times and when it drops they throw up all sorts of strops. Pretty much like a women! Jump using leads off another car and if she goes well then there's your answer :D if not, report back, and we'll go from there...

Another thing. No point in sticking it on a charger because once a batterys goosed it wont hold the current for long anyway.

Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
O.K. New battery - old problem !! No change - 12.9 volts on new battery but problem / symptoms still the same. I am sure the car is trying to tell me something with that "alarm light code" - it's not random - it stays on for 30 seconds, then flashes four times, pause, flashes twice, pause, flashes four times, pause, twice ......... any diagnostics experts out there who has come across this before ? Also - don't think it can be the ignition switch because when I turn it to the "start" position, the touch-screen blanks out, so it must be making contact with something somewhere. Anyone know where I can find a circuit diagram for a 2004 Diesel. Have looked on the forum, but can only find 2.0 petrol, which is totally different - even down to the shape / configuaration of the engine compartmentr fuse / relay box.
As always - all advice gratefully received !
Cheers,
David.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Remove the earth strap from the body work (other end of the neg terminal cable from the battery post) and clean it up with a wire brush.
Do the same with the pos connection to the starter solonoid.
Cant help with the error codes.

·
Registered
8,748 Posts
Code 42 is the answer to life, the universe, and everything!
The only reference to alarm codes I could find in the JTIS was the statement that if there's a fault the code will be flashed up after 60 seconds when the key is turned to position II. No table of codes that I could find. :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks scm. Not being picky, but .......... does JTIS mean that if there's a fault WITH THE ALARM, a code will be flashed up, or do you think if means that if there's a fault ANYWHERE in the electrical / management system, a code will flash up ?
Fulman - will try cleaning the earth & positive, but frankly, I don't hold out too much hope. I know that amps are as significant as volts in many cases, but there's no voltage drop AT ALL when the key is turned to the "start" position, which makes me suspect that - for whatever reason - a sensor or relay or bit of software in the ECU is not 'allowing' power to any of the systems required to start the car - e.g. fuel pump, starter solenoid.
The first car I ever owned had two fuses and one relay. In some ways, I miss those former times !!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for that. I'm thinking it's maybe the alarm circuit that's at the root of the problem. I gather that there are some bits of the alarm system in one of the wheelarches. Now - if I drive through a very deep pubble and lots of water gets splashed up under the car, then perhaps ................
Maybe I'll just call the AA !

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
have you tried your spare key?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds like you need an auto electrician - unless you have the wiring diagrams and can trace the volts to the starter...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Radnorman,
Thanks for the link - will do a few checks along those lines. However, I also found this on another forum in the U.S. :

Okay, I've only had the car a few short days. I was checking both key fobs and checking the panic alarm on both. After about 10 minutes when I went to start it the car wouldn't start. The red light above the DSC button just below the shifter flashed rapidly.
Everything worked and powered up, but it just wouldn't start the engine. I called Jag and they said to try to jump it... didn't work. Then they said to try to reset the alarm or something by locking the car with the key inserted in the door, then unlocking the same way... didn't work. Maybe it was in lock down mode or something. (I saw that in a post, not sure what it means) I thought I drained the battery, but the jump didn't work and every time I tried to start it all the lights, radio, nav screen and dash lights came on fine, but when I went to turn the key to start, the nav screen would go out and it wouldn't start. Then the red light (of death) flashed a pattern of 5 times, paused, then 1 time and repeated this pattern. The doors locked and unlocked just fine and the light stopped flashing when I locked it up. WTF!! lol I came back 90 minutes later and it started just fine. ???? Not that I'm complaining that it works now, but what caused this? Did I mess with the alarm and lock it up from starting? Does the car need to be reset or something? What does the flashing red light mean? Hate to be on the way to L.A. and have this happen in Baker or Victorville. (It's like Deliverance out there) lol

Other than the fact that his flashing code is different (and Honiton isn't much like Deliverence apart from one Banjo player) - it looks very similar to my issue, so I'm still suspecting the alarm system.
Thanks to everytone who has taken the time and trouble to reply.
Cheers,
David

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.