Not a newbie, quite.

frankc

Reaction score
In case you guys dont know me I currently have a lovely X100 XKR Convertible. Won't bore you with the details but I am looking to get a more practical car i.e does not cost quite as much to tax, insure, and better MPG. Keeping my XKR for fun but need a more economical setup too.

I always say to those looking for a Jag to take someone along who already has one so they can look at it with more subjective eyes rather than 'I want one eyes'.

Models from 2018 onwards.

So what do you recommend in the XE line? And which should I avoid? Do any of them have any sort of parking assist?

I look forward to your replies!

Thanks!

Jimbov8

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
Get in touch with IanD, he will have some valuable information on what to look for Frank.

MrKis

Reaction score
Your probably better off with a petrol. The diesels need longer trips to keep them happy. It seems the petrol's command more money at the moment.
The 180 and 250ps engines are mechanically identical, so the lower output one can be re-mapped to the bigger factory spec.
The 2019 update included new bumpers and lights along with spec changes.
a 2021 update will include the new Pivi Pro infotainment.
Some of the smaller infotainment units are classed as end of life and are not being updated any more (might not effect 2018 cars).

Faltwen

Reaction score
I believe parking assist was an extra.
My 16 plate 20T has it, think it was added by the first owner.
As stated, if low mileage then petrol is a wiser choice.
20T engine gives 37-50 mpg, dependent on right foot and distance driven.
Mine is the earlier Ford engine, a good tested unit but the later Ingenium is supposedly more economical.

J.J.X.T

Reaction score
Hi Frank

As has been said IanD is the guru on the XE sure he will be a mine of information on these cars.

Back in the summer I looked quite seriously at the XE as a replacement for my mk1 XF. I test drove four different XE's and there were quite a few things I liked about them but in the end I decided it wasn't for me. So for what it's worth these were my impressions of the XE:

I drove both petrol and diesel engined models. I have never had a diesel and expected to prefer the petrol engine but to my surprise it was the other way round! I drove a 250PS petrol XE and whilst it had plenty of oomph the way it delivered its power left a lot to be desired. The changes through the auto box were far from smooth it seemed to change its gears in a very jerky fashion that really affected the driving experience. This was so different from my XF where the gear changes are virtually seamless which is what I would expect from a Jaguar auto. By contrast the diesel engine cars seemed much smoother in their gear changes and I liked the low end grunt of the diesel so I think that would have been my engine of choice - perhaps the petrol engine I drove was a bad example!

The XE is a great handling car but I was disappointed by the comfort and ride which I thought was quite hard compared to my XF maybe that's not a fair compression as its a bigger car.

I like the exterior styling of the XE I think its a really good looking car that looks like a modern Jag. Unfortunately I couldn't say the same about the interior which I just found too plain - I think you would find it very different from your XKR. There is no wood or veneer in most XE's but lots of black plastics. Most XE's seem to have an all black interior which I think looks rather stark, Jaguar do a couple of light coloured interiors but there aren't many about. I think the facelifted XE that came out in 2019 has a better interior although I have not actually sat in one.

Most XE's are fairly well equipped although I think the top of the range Portfolio is the one to go for - I thought the seats seemed more comfortable and it has better leather. Having said that there are few things that don't come as standard even on the Portfolio such as a reversing camera, folding mirrors and the rear seat does not fold down. A lot of XE's have these fitted options fitted but you need to check any car you are considering.

If you are looking at cars registered after April 2017 need to check the VED cost. All cars registered after that date with a list price of over 40k new including options are subject to a "premium" tax of £325 per annum in addition to the standard VED, this is payable for the first five years. I think a lot of XE's fitted with a few options could easily have a new list price of over 40k which means the VED will be getting on for £500 per year! This doesn't apply to cars registered before April 17 and the VED for a diesel XE in this category is £30 per year although more if its AWD.

When I started looking at XE's I thought I was likely to buy one but in the end it just did not tick enough boxes for me. Have since looked at the Mk 2 XF which I think I prefer although have yet to be convinced enough to buy one!

Good luck with your search Frank would be interested on your thoughts on these cars

frankc

Reaction score
Its going to sound like sacrilege but I have done a load of research and as much as I like my Jags I do not think my next car will be one. I see those Jags suggested and, unknowingly, put my 'I want one' eyes. They are some beautiful cars. I cannot argue with that.

After all this work I have narrowed my list down to a few.......... C Class Merc or more likely an Audi A5 Convertible. 4 seats you can use. Not too big. Economical. Nice looking car that is well made. Lots of toys I will probably hardly ever use.

From previous experience I learned a few lessons. Tempting as it is I am not going to buy a new car. I am looking at buying a 2020 car. Hang on Frank.......... that is a new car! Not if you wait till March 2021. New plates in etc. I can get the car then and save myself 10K and have a higher spec. Talking of which my next job is to pick which A5. Sports line? Any Audi A5 owners in here?

As I said previously the cars suggested by you are some stunners. If I had not got my XKR I would be going for one of those.

I am enjoying these conversations keep the comments coming. Always value your comments and suggestions.

j777stp

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
I have been looking for something with 4 doors lately . My process has been F type if I buy a 3.0 will I regret not buying a 5.0l and will I be able to get in and out of it in a few years time and keep my Dignity. I have been looking for an XFR but not easy to come buy and then the XJR which is just too big for my needs. I hadnt even considered the XE until recently I looked at the reviews on YouTube. Its the V6 I would consider and they get excellent reviews as do the other models in the range. Now the problems for me as it was in the S type R and some XJR interiors is the two tone leather. Very few have nice sedate one colour leather interior . There is one near Hull in Bronze with a really nice interior which I may try to get across this weekend . I like Frank have considered others but just couldnt see myself in a BMW or an Audi .2016 Bronze Jaguar XE 3.0 V6 S Auto (s/s) 4dr for sale for £21400 in Selby, North Yorkshire (autotrader.co.uk)

Last edited: