Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I had the dreaded “ BATTERY NOT CHARGING” message come up on my 13 plate XF followed shortly after by a recovery home after it broke down. I couldn’t get it into a garage over the long weekend so I took out the battery and charged it up. Replaced the battery and the light disappeared. Drove it for ten miles fully electrically loaded and no issues. Next morning, light on again. I have replaced the BMS and scuffed up the negative connection. The batteries are relatively new and fitted by a reputable Jag garage. No water ingress whatsoever.
any thoughts please. It’s the intermittent bit that gets me. If the alternator was finished I wouldn’t expect it to come and go like this

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Hi, you need to test the charge being put out by the alternator, try checking at the battery with a voltmeter, it should be showing a charge rate of approx 14.7V. Phil

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
An alternator failure could be intermittent as it contains windings and components that could break down or 'self repair' due to heat and vibration, so don't be so quick to eliminate it. Sometimes it is exactly what it says on the tin!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
An alternator failure could be intermittent as it contains windings and components that could break down or 'self repair' due to heat and vibration, so don't be so quick to eliminate it. Sometimes it is exactly what it says on the tin!
I did not know that. Thank you, I have an electrical guy calling out tomorrow so hopefully he can pin it down. I’ve never seen the local garages as busy, two week waiting time everywhere!

·
Registered
632 Posts
As Phil pointed out above, you just need a multimeter (around £10) - with the car running the voltage across the battery should read 14.7v or thereabouts. Any less and it is more than likely the alternator but could be wiring. This has been said many times, but cheaper replacement alternators have been known to fail quickly if they are not the super-expensive Jag part. Perhaps worth getting from a breaker if you don't fancy paying the quite high cost.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Ant. That’s the reason I wanted to test directly at the alternator, to rule out wiring or fuse issues. I’ll have a look and see if there is somewhere to stick the multimeter probes on it

·
Registered
632 Posts
I would think if the output isn't what it should be it will be the alternator. It isn't easy to get to to stick in probes and may cause more damage. Every case I have heard of like this has been the alternator, not wiring.

·
Premium Member
23,456 Posts
The “battery not charging” warning is a dead giveaway. The BMS is a monitoring system and does not impact the operation of the alternator. With the engine running if you are not seeing 14.7v at the battery then your alternator is shagged.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Isn’t there a terminal in one of the wheel arches that can require cleaning up on the XF?
Maybe on the alternator?
I seem to remember some members with an issue similar to the OP looking in that direction.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would think if the output isn't what it should be it will be the alternator. It isn't easy to get to to stick in probes and may cause more damage. Every case I have heard of like this has been the alternator, not wiring.
Thanks again Ant, I have ordered a new alternator and look to getting it fitted next week. I don’t suppose any of you have ever attempted to replace one or should I leave it to the garage?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Have you bought a genuine part or alternative brand. Not sure why some of the replacements seem to fail quickly but I understand fitting can be a bit awkward so fitting twice can start to get expensive, especially if you supply the part, as a garage will not guarantee it. Hope it goes OK though and report back on any issues.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have you bought a genuine part or alternative brand. Not sure why some of the replacements seem to fail quickly but I understand fitting can be a bit awkward so fitting twice can start to get expensive, especially if you supply the part, as a garage will not guarantee it. Hope it goes OK though and report back on any issues.
Thanks Ant. I have bought a genuine reconditioned one with a 12 month guarantee. If it fails I will be seeking labour costs as well as a replacement. It’s going in on Wednesday and I’ll post an update then

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Final update. Had the reconditioned alternator fitted and all is well in the world again. Cost £96 with my local garage for replacement and diagnostic check. So with the cost of £104 for the alternator and a few quid for the belt I think I did well considering. Thank you to all who posted replies.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts