Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I have not been about on the forum for a week or two and would like to apologise for my tardiness.
Anyhow, as a catch up, my S-Type is running as sweet as a coffee with three sugars in it, my budget replacement battery is working a treat and my even more budgeter smart battery charger has smart charged every battery in a fifteen metre radius, with no complaints.
So, as stated it the title, my curiosity and lack of brain power has led me to ask this question.

If I stop the car and turn off the ignition, yet remain in the car with the key still in (imagine waiting outside of a shop while your misses/nipper nips in for 20 woodbines and a packet of pork scratching's or some such ) after 20 or 30 seconds, there is an electrical whining noise that may last 5 or 10 seconds. Does anyone know what this noise is?

Like I said, not a problem, just curious.

/.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
May be the a/c trying to move the blend doors. Not always entirely successful or quiet.

If you've a car with EPB and you remove the key expect a whirring as the park/emergency brake is applied.
Had a feeling it might be something to do with the AC, but no idea what a blend door is.
Key always firmly in the ignition.

/

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
Hi Rich.

The blend flaps are behind the dash, in what's called the plenum.

They are motorised and mix the warm air from the dual heat exchanger with cold air from the AC compressor to suit your dual settings.

Sometimes their pivots get dirty and they grate as they move, or don't move fully.

Sometimes they just want to grumble for 3-4 minutes after switching off the engine.

There's a reset procedure for them in our S Type Stickies subforum, give it a go and report back.

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
There you go Rich.

Enjoy your Catwoman.

When you can, ponder over your next best placed small spend on her. Oil & filter I got done at National Tyre, around £65 with premium oil it's not worth me doing it myself.

But, be sure they tighten the filter fully and properly because it seems this generation of mechies don't know how.

There is even a Jaguar Tech Bulletin about this problem.

The mechie should wipe a big dollop of fresh oil on the gasket before screwing it on. Tell him these filters are difficult to seal and they leak. Blame the car.

I lost 4 litres from the 6.5 litres, nearly lost my engine.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Cheers for the tip. Don't have to worry about it yet as it was done just before I got it. Also, I'm pretty confident that I could do that job myself (always done it in the past)
I still have not replaced the serpentine belt yet (it looks slightly perished) so that will probably be next.
I have changed loads over the years (all old cars done years ago) but last year I had to change one on a citroen that I had. Complete nightmare. It took me three days. Had to access it through the wheel arch, the adjuster was seized solid and I couldn't budge it and then the threads all stripped when I was refitting the adjuster (it was like a square plate held on by four bolts).
Might let someone else do it as the jag is too big to fit in my garage so it would be a front garden job. Probably not much fun in this weather. Have been quoted around ninety pounds for the job, so that's not too bad.

Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.