Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2000 model and in the process of replacing a blown number plate bulb, I discovered there was no power being delivered to the bulb fittings: yet the boot interior lights were working. After tracing the wiring all the way back to the fuse box, and discovering there was no power all the way there, I discovered that when I removed the number plate bulb and side light fuse, the side lights remained on. Can anyone suggest what might have been done to the wiring and where I might next look to solve this issue? My appreciation in advance of any, and all, replies.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
there is a well known issue with the boot wiring , where it is fixed to the boot hinge going into the car the cables get ' work hardened ' and can break , as its in a loom bundle you dont readily see it ,

the only way is to unwind the loom tape and separate each wire out, if any wires have a lump or stretch in them , even if the outer plastic insulation is intact the copper wire core may well be broken ,
i had this in my own car, some soldering and insulting, and all has been good for the last five years ,

once repaired , try and place the loom in a different point , or better still dont fix it back the the hinge

BB

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BB, thank you for your reply. I was aware of the boot hinge problem and hence tested the wiring for power below the hinge. The real mystery is the fact that removing the number plate lights and side lights fuse does not cause the side lights to go off (see original post). Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Again, my appreciation in advance of any replies.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
The side light fuse in the boot is for the side markers for USA markets.
Not the lights at the front and rear of the car. (parking and tail)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.