Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all. Car (X-type 2.2D SE auto 2009) had her 37,500 service today and the good news is-not as much as I’d expected. The sad news is-Westover Poole found the O/S/R radius arm bent. They say it’s consistent with either wrong jacking up or ramping issues. I contacted Marshall Ipswich to advise them of this situation as four new tyres fitted prior to purchase and they hoist, not jack. They maintain their 120 point check did not pick this up = happened after I bought the car Aug 2011. It was mentioned that perhaps a pot hole could have caused this—nope--. On further discussions with Westover, with something as radical as this, I would surely have been aware of at the time with perhaps a blow-out or a cracked alloy. Much ‘phone calling and there is no way I understood all this technical stuff so have asked Ipswich to send over all documentation on the car to Poole. Suffice to say the tyre wear (7mm front and 6mm rear) shows no tracking issues; sorry, this is where I lost the plot, am better with baking ingredients!! At the end of the day I’m not prepared to pay for this and will leave the two service departments to come up with some sort of agreement. I really feel like “piggy in the middle”. Well technical chaps on this forum, I really would appreciate your comments/input on where/how to go on from here.

I'd so appreciate your comments/input on where/how to go on from here.
Kind regards, Barbs

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
There haven't been many that have suffered bent hub carrier arms, but there have been one or two in the past.

I can't for the life of me remember why posters thought they got bent, but jacking up under one could well be possible as I suppose pothole damage could be as well, they are springy, but wouldn't take much to kink one.

You should stand your ground with both dealers, the first just want to be paid for any work, they won't care who pays.
The second obviously won't be over enthusiastic to pay out either.

You could ask for evidence that these arms are part of the 120 point check and that they were checked at the time (Aug 2011).
I wouldn't take anything but a check of these arms as proof, not wheel alignment, tyre wear etc, only a tick in a box next to "hub carrier arms checked - OK" would satisfy me.

If they are using this 120 check as evidence that they were ok, it's worth seeing if they are part of it, if not, you could argue they are trying to fob you off and are using this check to "desperately wriggle out of their obligations".
At which point a call to Jaguar customer services would probably help, complaining of a fob off and their use of dubious evidence and trying to baffle you with "technical jargon".

If the worst comes, remove the car from the dealer and have it repair at an Indie, labour rates will be much cheaper and they'd probably do a better job!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Many years ago, on my Mk3 Mondeo (same trailing arms), I jacked it up on the arms and duly bent them. I did my best to flatten them out in-situ.
Later on, when I had a heavy trailer on the car, I stopped on an uphill incline, and applied the handbrake. The weight of the car and the trailer pulling the car back down the hill was against the handbrake, and thus compressing the trailing arms. One of the arms buckled and was pressing hard into the tyre. I could only move a few yards. I took the trailing arms off, and beat them flat with a lump hammer. They still buckled. The only solution was to fit replacement arms from a scrap yard.

The moral of the story here is not to jack the car up on the arms. But if you do, you will never recover them, and will have to replace them.

Barbs - if they offer to 'straighten it out', please heed my words above and refuse and demand a replacement.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much Goudy and Winco for taking the time to reply with your words of wisdom.

I did mention to both main agents that I would be posting this problem on the Jaguar Forum. I've also started a "dear diary" of what was said to whom and when just incase I need (hopefully not) to get Jaguar Customer Care involved. I did ask if there was a metal check to establish how long ago it happened. Was told because of all the wet weather it was not possible ?! I've requested
Ipswich send all documentation to Poole for them to check it out. I'll give it a few days and start again on Tuesday. On the service invoice test drive it was noted the "steering pull to the left". This is something I was unaware of as I'm pretty light footed on the braking system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Late this afternoon Ipswich ‘phoned and they’d been in contact with Poole over the problem. When the conversation went “if the suspension is not correct then uneven tyre wear would be an issue”, I stopped him. I can’t do technical. Again, I had to ask for them to send the 120 point checklist. I also asked they send all service records for this car too. I somehow feel this will not happen. All I have is a stamped book with no details of any other work carried out.

At present, Ipswich has a long standing customer with my brother-in-law. “Because of this association and not as an admission of guilt” the two service departments have got the price down to £420. Ipswich is prepared to pay half.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This issue still meanders on. The 120 point check faxed to Poole from Ipswich consisted of a handwritten altered piece of paper marked "technicians report". Not even on Jaguar paper or with a job number.-----------

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Evening to all. Still haven't got the 120 point checklist paperwork. After many emails and 'phone calls to Ipswich I'm still awaiting all previous service/repair documentation The car was registered new in October 2009. Two emails today from me produced a computer listing from their records; which has thrown up two further anomalies. Honestly guys, I'm at my wits end and becoming very sceptical about the provenance on this car. My little pea brain suggests it's had a side swipe. Anyway, I've asked Poole to have a look at the codes used on their computer invoicing print out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.