Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
an addition to the niggles on my 04 s-type....there have been three or four occasions now where it's been hard to move the gear selector from the park position, is this easily rectified or is it the start of something more terminal....cheers..

· Registered
22,331 Posts
Is you battery fully charged, 12.6 volts at rest before you start the engine first time?

Brake switch first suspect.

Just get it changed, they often fail intermittently at first.

It could also be something as simple as cleaning and lubricating the gearlock solenoid plunger but this is unusual.

I haven't dug down to it so I don't know what's involved or if you can get to it from the cabin.

Maybe someone has and can help?

But brake switch first.

· Registered
22,331 Posts
Or the 2 bolts (8mm head I think) on trans side. Known for loosening / falling out!
On the ZF box too?

Oh dear. Thought that was just the Ford box in early models.

· Registered
318 Posts
Mine does the same for a few days then is okay! I tried listening for the solenoid click when depressing the brake pedal but can't hear it. Anyway, last time it wouldn't release from part I moved the lever across slightly then pressed the brake pedal and I heard it click and lever was free. I do this now and it seems to work.

· Registered
201 Posts
Unless you already do so, apply the handbrake before you select park to ensure the car can't creep foward a fraction . I've found that if the car moves either foward or backwards even just a fraction after park is selected, then it can be difficult to get it out of park

· Registered
476 Posts
This can be caused by the pawl under the selector fascia breaking or getting stuck. On older jags there used to be a star shaped plug which screwed out to provide access. On the S Type the whole fascia pulls off easily to reveal the assembly UNLESS YOU HAVE AN EARLY CAR UP TO ABOUT 2001. For poor devils in this boat see my post of about August 2017 because it explains how to remover the screws UNDER THE FASCIA to facilitate removal.

My ribs have just about healed after three months so pad the door sill well before laying down and cursing.

Mike.

· Registered
91 Posts
I EXPERIENCED THE SAME A FEW TIMES BEFORE I REALIZED I HAD A LOOSE BATTERY CABLE AND CHEAP BATERY.
ALL BETTER NOW.[:

QUOTE=Jim_S-V6_2004;1044883]Is you battery fully charged, 12.6 volts at rest before you start the engine first time?

Brake switch first suspect.

Just get it changed, they often fail intermittently at first.

It could also be something as simple as cleaning and lubricating the gearlock solenoid plunger but this is unusual.

I haven't dug down to it so I don't know what's involved or if you can get to it from the cabin.

Maybe someone has and can help?

But brake switch first.

.[/QUOTE]

· Registered
153 Posts
Sometimes mine is a bit of a tit, but if I give it a few seconds or so after first starting the engine, it is fine. It is only normally is a bit stiff after starting the engine and being impatient to get going (either front ways or back ways) so I take my time and chill a bit (pop my seat belt on, adjust the climate control, shuffle through the cd's in the multi player etc.) and it's all peachy.

Hope this helps.

· Registered
518 Posts
The brake pedal switch has been known to fail, but if you are on any kind of incline when parking shift into neutral apply the hand brake take your foot off the brake pedal so the hand brake takes the strain then shift into park, this will stop the gearbox parking pawl taking the weight of the car.

RC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.