Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe there's an ODB port under the dash somewhere. Does anyone use a bluetooth device for it and what device in particular and apps would you recommend if you do?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
On my 3.0 V6 I bought a cable plug in Foxwell NT 614 Auto Master Pro scanner that is compatible with the Jaguar system. Many of the members here use icarsoft units which seem to be highly rated. It is a must that whatever you use is Jaguar specific. The ODB port is under the dash...on my left hand drive car it sits just in front and slightly above the cabin fuse box. I believe on the right hand drive it is in the same position but with the luxury of easier access because you have more room to work without steering and pedals in the way. So if i'm not mistaken, it should be below the glove compartment near to the side pillar.
Bluetooth devices can be used to be read on a laptop or modern mobile phone but both should be Jaguar compatible otherwise they may only read generic codes or possibly not communicate at all.

·
Registered
425 Posts
On my wife's 2009 2.2d the obd port is on the drivers side (rhd) just about as close to the right hand side of the car that it could be. It is oriented front to back, 90 degrees from the S-type, xf and xj that I have owned, all of which were oriented left to right.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I believe on the right hand drive it is in the same position but with the luxury of easier access because you have more room to work without steering and pedals in the way. So if i'm not mistaken, it should be below the glove compartment near to the side pillar.
I'm sure it is a legal requirement that the socket must be within reach when sitting in the drivers seat, so in the case of the x-type it will be above the drivers right knee on a right hand drive car.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, I did some more research and discovered regarding bluetooth adapters for mobile phone apps I should get an ODB2 ELM327 bluetooth device, and it should probably be listed as a version 1.5 or 1.6. There are then a few apps available. One which keeps coming up is Torque, though I don't think this is iPhone compatible, so I will keep looking.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
One thing I would say is important with any scanner or mobile App is the live data facility with multi graph overlay.
Comparing before and after live data graphs is a really good facility.
When I bought my 3.0 X type it hesitated when accelerating, particularly in a low gear. I ran live data and it showed the engine was running lean. It led me to a vacuum fault and I changed the O rings on the IMT valves (inlet manifold tuning valves) mounted on the side of the inlet manifold. On starting I could hear a very slight difference in the engine note.
The car ran much better and after a 25 minute run of mixed driving while recording the live data again, I overlayed the original and new graphs and was surprised to see a very noticable change. Since then the car runs perfectly and hesitation gone.
I know nothing about the telephone Apps but check to see if there are some that will run live data...it is really useful.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Thanks everyone, I did some more research and discovered regarding bluetooth adapters for mobile phone apps I should get an ODB2 ELM327 bluetooth device, and it should probably be listed as a version 1.5 or 1.6. There are then a few apps available. One which keeps coming up is Torque, though I don't think this is iPhone compatible, so I will keep looking.
I use an Autel AP200 bluetooth scanner which works with iPhone and has a specific Autel app, it reads Jag codes. Only cost £44 last year and has been spot on so far.

Reactions: lamplighter

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use an Autel AP200 bluetooth scanner which works with iPhone and has a specific Autel app, it reads Jag codes. Only cost £44 last year and has been spot on so far.
Your Jag is 2008, have heard that 2005 is a rough cut off point between which bluetooth adapters versions can be used.

Though I also read the ODB2 wasn't standard this side of the pond until 2006... which makes me wonder if my car is ODB 1 or 2... the journey continues.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Am learning a lot as I've been reading on this...

ELM327s are mentioned a lot. And I've read that:
  • v1.4, v1.5, and v1.6 are more likely to work than v2+
  • diesels are less likely to work than petrols (something about chinese knockoffs)
  • for android they use either bluetooth or sometimes wifi
  • for iphone they use wifi
It all seems really flakey, how annoying.

Still haven't found a suitable alternative to the Torque app for iPhone either.

The main reason I want this is to be able to see error codes and get a good explanation of them. it seems many people get it working to show the codes but then have search what the code means online.

I've alse read that these things can interfere with the ECU and cause problems... that's worrying.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I bought this from Amazon in March for a tenner.

I use the free version of the 'Car Scanner' app, available on both iPhone and Android.

I had a problem with my car intermittently cutting out on the motorway and I suspected the fuel pump. I had the scanner connected constantly and could set an alarm to go off when fuel pressure dropped to under 20psi. When it finally cut out again, the alarm went off and when I checked the data, fuel pressure had dropped to zero at the time it cut out. Really useful piece of kit.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
I got an OBDLink MX+ for Christmas in 2019. Seems to have gone up in price a bit since then but is very convenient. Plugs into the ODB2 port under the dashboard, follow the simple setup instructions and pair it with your phone via Bluetooth. The manufacturer's OBDLink app is available from your phone's app store and is actually very good. There are tons of options for displaying realtime performance readouts and you can log pretty much anything and then graph the results or even produce overlays to put on maps. I once did a few test runs where I logged the engine temperature and then could see what it was at different points of the journey.

It's also compatible with third-party software, I have Torque Pro installed which offers a number of additional features.

OBDLink's product page for the MX+ can be found here and it's currently listed on Amazon among other places. Considering that a lot of garages will charge you an hour's labour just for reading the codes these days it'll pretty much pay for itself. It's compact, I just leave mine plugged into the port almost all the time, and uses barely any power when it's idle.

I'm not sure if it'll do advanced stuff like coding parts like other more expensive products can do but I personally would be unlikely to want to do that anyway.

The manufacturer mentions that "if you don’t require access to advanced Ford & GM networks, consider purchasing OBDLink LX" but I'm not sure how that recommendation relates to the X-Type. I got the top-of-the-range MX+ because such boring questions like necessity don't apply to presents. :)

·
Registered
635 Posts
I've got the torque app worked on my I phone no issues

1 - 14 of 14 Posts