Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Before you ask Jim I will put it in the stickies

· Registered
280 Posts
one of the jobs i will need to do on mine, been told i need to drop the gearbox mount first though?

· Registered
S Type 3.0 SE X206 Radiance Red
5,626 Posts
one of the jobs i will need to do on mine, been told i need to drop the gearbox mount first though?
Yes the rear mount is easy enough to drop.

"4" 13mm bolts that attach it to the body

"2" 13mm bolts that attach it to the back of the gearbox

once this is removed it allows access to the TCM connector seal and makes undoing the 8mm allan fill plug easier!! :mrgreen:

· Registered
280 Posts

once this is removed it allows access to the TCM connector seal and makes undoing the 8mm allan fill plug easier!! :mrgreen:
my main fear is that one of the torx bolts snaps then i'm stuffed as i will be doing it on my drive..

· Registered
5,626 Posts
my main fear is that one of the torx bolts snaps then i'm stuffed as i will be doing it on my drive..
I know the pain lol

i stripped 3 heads and snapped 6 off !! lol 8hrs of my life i'll never get back!!

use quality torx bits.

bacho, teng, famex etc i find cheaper brands are made of cheese!!

+ take your time!!

EDIT

to make life easier i would invest in a manual impact tool like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001K9R8U/?tag=jaguarfcom-21

It lessens the possibility of stripping the heads!!

just hit it with a hammer and it slowly loosens weathered screws/bolts very handy indeed.

the standard bolts are t27 torx, if it has been previously serviced it will have the uprated t40 torx bolts.

wish i had it when i did my gearbox!

· Registered
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dont forget the car has to be level if you are doing it on the drive.

· Registered
22,331 Posts

Eh?

The gearbox and car must be level.

There are several videos on YouTube on how it's done.

Do the videos drop the mount?

· Registered
5,626 Posts
Eh?

The gearbox and car must be level.

There are several videos on YouTube on how it's done.

Do the videos drop the mount?

The gearbox mount must be dropped to allow access to the tcm connector seal, a very common leak point on the zf tranny.

:-D

· Registered
22,331 Posts
The gearbox mount must be dropped to allow access to the tcm connector seal, a very common leak point on the zf tranny.

:-D
OK, well done H.

· Registered
22,331 Posts
The ones that I watched didn't change the sleeve ;).

Now we know to change the rectangular adapter seal behind the Mechatronix unit so that has to be removed too, another few bolts but worth doing.

And for the picky pickers, there are 4 more slide-in sealing tubes if you wish.

But we can save you around £200 by pointing you to buy 20 litres of original Shell M1374.5 fluid (same spec as the ZF LF6 they supply to ZF but not same dye) from their UK Distributor Smith & Allen for £98. Look for their website and on eBay.

Point the pundits to the thread with the parts lists please, Mr H? ;)

· Registered
3,745 Posts
I like this video myself

Although I disconnect the oil cooler line (at the front of car usually) and run the engine for about 10 seconds to pump all the fluid out of the TC. (over 3 litres!)

· Registered
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes this video is very good. The bit that I found interesting on the ZF video is that they are telling you about the millage and number of years that the fluid can remain in the gearbox.

· Registered
280 Posts
Well I've just been under my car to see about changing the oil and sump only to find ALL the torx holes are rounded off :cry: so im going to have to pay some one to do it :evil:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.