Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...Just hit one crossing the road on a carriageway slammed the brakes on but must have hit it at about 50mph on the nearside.
I was expecting the damage to be much worse, its cracked the mesh grill and the fixings for the surround, left a 3 inch odd crack in the bumper just to the left of the Headlight as well as pushing the bumper in a bit and loosening the fixing at the top corner by the wheelarch. Not sure about the deer, i saw him hit the side of the road but he'd completely disappeared.

I'm hoping the bumper can be re-set and the crack fixed but the grille will need replacing ... Anybody know of a good source of these sorts of body parts? I'm assuming Jag will charge a small fortune for new bits.

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Hi VNC, nasty. Did you report it to the Police as they can notify the relevant people who will look for the poor deer.
Sorry I cannot help with supplier of the parts as there will not be many scrapped XF's about. What does your insurance cover.

Roger

·
Registered
442 Posts
I hit a young deer more than 40 years ago with my Vanden Plas Princess 1100
I was on my way to collect my missus from work at Ballochmyle Hospital at the time. I turned round and found it lying by the roadside so I lifted it into the boot of the car then proceeded to collect the missus.

You should have seen the faces on the staff when I showed the “female” I had told them I had knocked down and injured.
I took the young deer to a local vet but unfortunately it died during the night from internal injuries.
I had to call on that same vet about 30 years later with our cat and he still remembered that night I brought in the deer.

·
Premium Member
17,893 Posts
I feel your pain, I've either hit or been hit by 3 deer in a little over 25 years....

i think the worst was one that ran into the side of me ( I was doing around 90 at the time ) and BAM......both passenger doors got it, made a real mess of the car. I looked in my rear view and saw the deer lying in the middle of the road struggling / squirming. I was on a dual carriageway, by the time I could turn round and head back it was gone.....no venison burgers for me lol

Good luck with the fix

Jim

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
The op is lucky it didn't trigger the bonnet airbags. That would have been expensive!

·
Registered
69 Posts
You don't have to report hitting a wild animal as opposed to domestic animals, however as far as welfare is concerned it is a good idea the police will have a list of firearm holders who can deal with RTA's ,I personally have been called on numerous occasions to deal with RTA's.

Unfortunately when a deer is hit by a moving vehicle it more often than not will suffer internal injuries ,even though it leaves the scene of the incident it will more than likely suffer a lingering death and a follow up as soon as possible to put it out of its misery is required.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You don't have to report hitting a wild animal as opposed to domestic animals, however as far as welfare is concerned it is a good idea the police will have a list of firearm holders who can deal with RTA's ,I personally have been called on numerous occasions to deal with RTA's.

Unfortunately when a deer is hit by a moving vehicle it more often than not will suffer internal injuries ,even though it leaves the scene of the incident it will more than likely suffer a lingering death and a follow up as soon as possible to put it out of its misery is required.
Yeah its a difficult one. I spent some 5 minutes after the accident looking for the poor thing as best i could on a unlit nat speed limit road in the dark with only the car lighting, but it had left the side of the road and scuttled off somewhere, i did hear some noises in the undergrowth from something that fairly large which i assumed was it.

I did consider driving back that way today to try and pinpoint the location and with the possibility of finding it. i'm not if reporting it at this stage will be of any use.
The damage to the car is fairly light, there are a few of its hairs stuck in various places including in the bumper crack but no flesh or blood but yes it could have suffered internally.

On the care damage side looks like the bumper crack can be welded and potentially the whole unit resprayed according to the body shop. Id did press it back together today and its hardly noticeable tbh.
the grille will defo. need replacing and come it at around £290+vat.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I hit a deer exactly a year ago in my 2012 BMW 5 Series just outside my village at around 35 mph. I had the repairs done at the main dealer in Northampton where I thought it would be done to a high standard but on close inspection the front wheel arch liner was still damaged, which I expressed my displeasure in a polite way and was replaced by the body shop manager himself in his lunch hour. The insurance payed out £1750.
If you have a protected no claims insurance policy get it fixed at the main dealers and then inspect it well when you get the car back from the body shop.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Reminds me of my brother picking up his new Alfa Romeo years ago and deciding to have a run through the new forest on the way home. He had to stop at some tempory traffic lights. Sat there minding his own business when a herd of ponies charged across the road around his car. In hot pursuit was a stallion with a huge hard on which charged into the side of his car. The head came crashing down on his bonnet and smashed the windscreen. Then it got up and ran off. He said when he rang his insurance the lady on phone couldn't stop laughing.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Reminds me of my brother picking up his new Alfa Romeo years ago and deciding to have a run through the new forest on the way home. He had to stop at some tempory traffic lights. Sat there minding his own business when a herd of ponies charged across the road around his car. In hot pursuit was a stallion with a huge hard on which charged into the side of his car. The head came crashing down on his bonnet and smashed the windscreen. Then it got up and ran off. He said when he rang his insurance the lady on phone couldn't stop laughing.
...that's the funniest thing i heard for a while LOL

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hit a deer exactly a year ago in my 2012 BMW 5 Series just outside my village at around 35 mph. I had the repairs done at the main dealer in Northampton where I thought it would be done to a high standard but on close inspection the front wheel arch liner was still damaged, which I expressed my displeasure in a polite way and was replaced by the body shop manager himself in his lunch hour. The insurance payed out £1750.
If you have a protected no claims insurance policy get it fixed at the main dealers and then inspect it well when you get the car back from the body shop.
Unfortunately i didn't protect it but the excess is 600 squids anyway. if it needs a new bumper in addition then it may be worth taking the insurance route but i'm hoping i can get away with having it welded back. Bumpers are priced about £650+VAT(unpainted) i cant find any suitable second hand ones

·
Registered
697 Posts
Hope you get it sorted soon.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Imo it looks OEM, great quality and a perfect fit.
I have pics somewhere I will try and find them, I did post them on another forum but it's bad form and against the rules to post links to other forms I think

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.