Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while having a little tinker under the bonnet today i noticed that one of the earth points behind the left hand headlight looked a bit corroded so i thought i would give it a clean up,just as i touched it with my hand it came away from the body,then i noticed there was two more of these earth studs behind the right hand side headlight,both of them came away as soon as a spanner touched them, i hadn't even started to apply pressure,so i now have tree earth points i need to put right,not a huge problem just annoying,im guessing there is a few more of these dotted about so i may as well hunt them down and check them out,can anyone tell me how many there are and there location :(

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
There are 16 main earthing points around the whole of the XJ , not a bad job to resolve I'm sure.

Drill a hole nearby and clean up around it both sides , Vaseline & M8 AL bolt and nut with star washers.

Alternatively you could tig weld alloy bolts on to the body.

You can use standard BZP / zinc bolts and nuts for now , but will have issues again from the dissimilar metals.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Not sure, but I think a good quality stainless bolt is pretty benign with aluminium, better than zinc plated I'm sure.
Lucky you found them before electrical issues showed up.

Regards.................................IP

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies guys im now armed with electrical guide pointing out all the earth points,think i will have a wee look at all of them

·
Premium Member
6,566 Posts
Been there so here's

A link

to my showthread and what I did to mine behind the lights over a couple of pages.

Not had a random fault or dash light since.

Am I bothered about SS - Zinc - Aluminium being mixed together for this fix, no.

The cross member you'll be drilling and the bolts you'll be using are all substantial and are unlikely to rot before the rest of the car does.

An easy fix and enjoyable to do, apply the 7 P's and you'll not have an issue.

No idea where most of the other 13 studs are, but I believe a couple are in the boot space, 1 being next to the battery.

Rich

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been there so here's

A link

to my showthread and what I did to mine behind the lights over a couple of pages.

Not had a random fault or dash light since.

Am I bothered about SS - Zinc - Aluminium being mixed together for this fix, no.

The cross member you'll be drilling and the bolts you'll be using are all substantial and are unlikely to rot before the rest of the car does.

An easy fix and enjoyable to do, apply the 7 P's and you'll not have an issue.

No idea where most of the other 13 studs are, but I believe a couple are in the boot space, 1 being next to the battery.

Rich
thanks Ashanti,i will copy your repair :)

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I think dissimilar metals will always have corrosion issues. I would suggest when the earth stud is repaired and the new connection made, that it is covered by a clear lacquer or similar.
The presence of moisture accelerates corrosion. Maybe some of the good lady's clear nail varnish would do a good job.

Regards...................................IP

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.