Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way to Brighton this morning and have not used the car for over a week then after 20 mins of driving got stuck in traffic and the red Oil pressure low light came up on and off for about 5 mins then disapeared and did not come back on. Have driven over 100 miles and have no more warning or other lights come up also my code reader shows no codes.

Any idea's

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Have you checked the level? If it was my car i would have done that before i drove any further.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you checked the level? If it was my car i would have done that before i drove any further.
Oil level is OK but did notice it says OK but I have a full bar when a couple of months ago it said OK but was at 3/4 bar. I know it had the right amount in 6 mths ago because I changed the oil myself.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Oil level is OK but did notice it says OK but I have a full bar when a couple of months ago it said OK but was at 3/4 bar. I know it had the right amount in 6 mths ago because I changed the oil myself.
I don't like the sound of that: It seems likely that your DPF has been regenerating, and that diesel has got into your oil. I would get the oil changed straight away, since the diesel is diluting it.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't like the sound of that: It seems likely that your DPF has been regenerating, and that diesel has got into your oil. I would get the oil changed straight away, since the diesel is diluting it.
Why would it put fuel in the oil ? When I do drive it i always give it some beans and hardly never drive in the city or get stuck in jams.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Dip the oil and smell it . You will definitely smell the diesel if its contaminated and it will also appear thinner than usual . If it is then get it changed as advised . Might be early signs of oil pressure switch / pump failure . Bring back proper oil pressure gauges .

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dip the oil and smell it . You will definitely smell the diesel if its contaminated and it will also appear thinner than usual . If it is then get it changed as advised . Might be early signs of oil pressure switch / pump failure . Bring back proper oil pressure gauges .
Wish I could get to the oil but I have no dipstick which îs daft

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Why would it put fuel in the oil ? When I do drive it i always give it some beans and hardly never drive in the city or get stuck in jams.
I agree that if you always drive quickly and do long journeys at high speed the DPF ought not to fill up and cause diesel to get into the oil, but I cannot think of any other reason why your oil level would go up when you have not topped up the oil.

DPFs are a pain, and do not always do what they ought to do!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Agreed, drop the oil, it's a cheapish preventative step and you will get a chance to look/smell it.

Diesel gets into the sump as when a regeneration is occurring the ecu pumps extra fuel into the cylinders to raise temps (you can sometimes see your mpg crash to single digits during a regen), some of the fuel gets blown past the rings to the sump.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agreed, drop the oil, it's a cheapish preventative step and you will get a chance to look/smell it.

Diesel gets into the sump as when a regeneration is occurring the ecu pumps extra fuel into the cylinders to raise temps (you can sometimes see your mpg crash to single digits during a regen), some of the fuel gets blown past the rings to the sump.
Funyy thing is I did see the MPG drop noticed after the light went out.

So if this is happening is it time to get it into garage or is it a case of one of those things and just change oil.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK not driving it until Oil & Filter arrive so what do I do after changing oil ? get it into local inde anyway or get oil levels right and wait and see if it happens again.

Wondering if the remap might have anything to do with it as all that does if force more fuel in to get the extra power if that's the case I will get the original file put back on.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
If the sump if over filled and the crank is splashing in the oil whipping it into a froth then that would cause a low pressure light. That's why over filling is just as bad as under filling. Drain and refill. Smell the oil for diesel. If there is evidence of diesel get the map removed as your driving style should not cause dfp regens. If all looks good maybe its just a bad pressure sensor.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hi, the remap shouldn't give the problems you are experiencing, first off get the oil and filter changed, leave level halfway up dipstick, or if no dipstick leave it slightly low and see if it rises due to incomplete regen of the DPF, but I would see if the problem returns before dashing into a garage. Phil

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all

I will see how much oil comes out when I change it next week.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So how can be sure I am getting a full regen is there a set time and speed that you have to do to get it to do one if so I could perhaps just do a special drive once a week just so that I know it would have competed a successful re gen. the car is not used daily I just use it for pleasure so often don't get it out the garage for a week.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.