Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only had my x type for a month and here's a list of what's gone wrong.

Abs light came on for one trip then went off and hasn't been on since.

Engine management light came on after that and codes read it was egr valve so the dealer said he changed the egr and it went off.

The temperature gauge read that the car would not get up to correct operating temperature so the dealer changed one of the thermostats

The car is still not getting up to temperature so it's going back to the dealer on Wed next week.

Rear parking sensors don't work, also being fixed next week.

Tonight the engine management light came back on!

All the while I've had random instances of doors locking themselves or not unlocking some times and rear door open flashing on the info screen randomly.

What the heck is going on? Could a bad battery be to blame for all of this?

Surely a car that is seemly spotless and drives really well can't be so faulty after just over three weeks :???:

· Registered
718 Posts
Yes, A bad battery would cause at leat some of that list and as we are now into the colder weather, it would be worth getting the battery checked out anyway.

I am curious as to what you mean by 'not getting up to temperature' though. These diesels do tend to run a little cooler on the guage (around the 1/4) unless you are on a motorway or suchlike and especially so during the colder weather.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was under the impression that the temperature gauge should rise to around halfway and remain steady there, every other car I've owned (and that's quite a lot) sat around the halfway.

This goes to about the 1/4 mark but rises quickly if the car is accelerating on a motorway overtaking etc. And then drops back when speed stabilises.

are you saying that's the norm for this model?

· Registered
718 Posts
I was under the impression that the temperature gauge should rise to around halfway and remain steady there, every other car I've owned (and that's quite a lot) sat around the halfway.

This goes to about the 1/4 mark but rises quickly if the car is accelerating on a motorway overtaking etc. And then drops back when speed stabilises.

are you saying that's the norm for this model?
Exactly that Dcal. :)

I on on my 2nd Xtype over nearly 6 years, both diesels and both did(do) the same thing. I understand that replacing the oil temperature thermostat can resolve this but as it has so far not posed any problems on either car, i have left it alone.

· Registered
718 Posts
Just to add... I dont think that the temperature thing is considered as 'the norm' by design... Just one of these things that happen as the cars advance in age. I will almost certainly replace mine next year for the sake of the few quid that they are.

These cars are well known for showing up all sorts of electrical faults if a dodgy battery and/or a dodgy earth lead (Batt to ground) is present. I doubt it will cause your parking sensors to fail - that is probably the module in the spare wheel well or a faulty sensor but the other random electrical happenings are a common sign of the mentioned dodgy battery/earth lead. (most likely the battery - how old is it?)
When the EML comes on, does it show any signs of mechanical misbehaviour? Stuttering etc? If not, i would put money on the battery.

If this, as i suspect, is your first X type, dont worry too much. These cars are quite 'quirky' and can display what can be very serious symptoms for what is often a very simple and cheap fix. Often, it is as Mark said earlier - a lack of previous owner knowledge and maintenence to blame. Read the forums and always ask for advice. We are happy to help where we can. :)

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's my first x type, previous cars have mostly been nissans so ive never seen an engine management light before lol alarm bells have been ringing, :mrgreen: when the light has been on it hasn't effected the performance that I've noticed. As for battery age I am unsure but it doesn't look new. I didn't want to buy a new one for it not to be the cause if the issues though. I'm going to look through service history and see if there's mention of it being replaced at some point.

As to the temperature the dealer I bought it off had the car back in last week he said he had changed a thermostat but I'm not sure which one. But the temp still does what it was doing prior to that so it didn't fix it either way.

· Registered
1,689 Posts
We've had similar things on here before.

Poor battery can throw up some proper mental behaviour. I've had it where only one HID headlight would come on, dashboard needles would read zero, windscreen washers work without wipers. Crazy stuff.

That said, it may be that the previous owner got rid because it's riddled with electrical gremlins.

New battery can't hurt, apart from your wallet.

· Premium Member
23,854 Posts
Dcal, keep the ground points clean and tight and the battery fully charged and you will reduce the probability of encountering the dreaded gremlins.

· Registered
5,836 Posts
Usually only when the battery is on the way out......

· Registered
5,836 Posts
Varta silver 096

· Registered
718 Posts
Do you have a battery charger? If so, give it a full charge and it should at least give some indication towards solving or eliminating the battery issues.

That is, if you dont trust your local garage to give you an honest battery check. :)

· Registered
4,382 Posts
As to the temperature the dealer I bought it off had the car back in last week he said he had changed a thermostat but I'm not sure which one. But the temp still does what it was doing prior to that so it didn't fix it either way.
There are two thermostats. Cool-running problems are almost always caused by the oil-cooler one which is a DIY fix for about £30. Ask the dealer which one he changed.

· Premium Member
17,946 Posts
Yes yes yes and yes

A weak old or failing battery can cause all sorts of weird electrical glitches, seen many many times over different models and countries etc, all well documented over many forums

You're in a 2008 and my money says you're on the original battery, time for a new one probably. My sons ( now my wife's ) 58 plate with just 72k miles on her had hers changed around a year ago and that was the original.
Hope to hear

Jim

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm going to get a battery this weekend since the current one looks old so I may as well and see if it helps, as for the thermostats, the car is going back to the dealer to get a new parking sensor fitted so I will find out which thermostat was changed two weeks ago and then get the other one done to see if that sorts that out.

Other than these things the car is great, :-D

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
these little jobs are being done under the guarantee so free of charge that's why I'm scrambling about to get them cleared up asap before I'm liable for repairs myself.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.