Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following a few requests for photos of our other cars and the shows we've been to with them, I've started this thread in this section, as wasn't sure where else to put them.

I'll start with a few pic's from Holt vintage transport festival, one of my favourite events as we get to ride about in old busses and on the railway free of charge if you exhibit a vehicle, which in turn, generally means there's lots of nice cars, commercials and bikes to look at. Too many and varied to really do the show justice here, but here's a small selection.

Cloud Car Sky Vehicle Land vehicle

The Capri and Lotus plus 2 with a few others from a local small car club that we've recently joined.

Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Couple of nice XK's. Most of the mesh grille conversions I've seen look wrong, but love the look of this one.

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Tire Vehicle Wheel Sky

One of my favourites, and I don't mean the Cavalier :ROFLMAO: It's a 1600GT, I had a similar 1600 GT XLR in gold with the black bonnet years ago. One of those cars I wish I still had.

Wheel Car Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle

And some more, because I like em :)

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

My favourite French car.

Bus Tire Sky Cloud Vehicle

Some nice old busses were there, most of them doing what they were designed to do. My friend was driving this amongst others.

Plant Toy Urban design Building Landscape
Picture frame Green Architecture Urban design Landscape

Model railway layout, something I've always fancied having a go at, but never seem to find the time.

Train Plant Wheel Vehicle Flowerpot

And the real thing :) A 9F 2-10-0, one of the most powerful steam loco's built in the UK. Sounds gorgeous with a full rake of carriages pulling up the hill from Kelling to Holt (y)

More events to follow in future posts ;)

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Cracking pics Tim. Lovely mk1 Capri. I did actually quite like the cavalier ☺ my dad had one new in 1979. Nice to see Black Prince too as opposed to Evening Star 👍

·
Premium Member
2017 Autobiography
12,059 Posts
I preferred the Mk1 Capri, too.

Peripherally related - whilst at Beaulieu my son asked my why cars had vinyl rooves. I was absolutely stumped: apart from disguising the bent roof when one rolled the car, I couldn't think of a single sensible answer.

·
Registered
2010 XJL Portfolio
48 Posts
Vinyl roofs in the 70s were purely a fashion thing. In the distant past (read: pre war) car manufacturers had problems to make roof sections in a single piece with repeatable dimensions. Thus a vinyl cover was used to hide the imperfections, which are generally much more noticeable on a shiny surface. Post war steel presses could easily achieve the required surface quality for smooth roof tops and vinyl covers were not required anymore. Two tone or even triple tone paint was fashionable. In the 60s and 70s manufacturers realized that the two tone color scheme was easier to achieve with a vinyl wrap for the roof. No extra paint curing cycle needed!

·
Premium Member
2017 Autobiography
12,059 Posts
... a good vinyl roof
I think that is an oxymoron.

My son's suggestion was that coupe owners wanted it to look like a convertible.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My dad always reckoned he liked them as it left less paintwork to polish and they stopped a car sounding like you were in a tin shed when it rained :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
Jaguar XJ X351 Portfolio 3.0 V6 D Caviar
3,363 Posts
Following a few requests for photos of our other cars and the shows we've been to with them, I've started this thread in this section, as wasn't sure where else to put them.

I'll start with a few pic's from Holt vintage transport festival, one of my favourite events as we get to ride about in old busses and on the railway free of charge if you exhibit a vehicle, which in turn, generally means there's lots of nice cars, commercials and bikes to look at. Too many and varied to really do the show justice here, but here's a small selection.

View attachment 53921
The Capri and Lotus plus 2 with a few others from a local small car club that we've recently joined.

View attachment 53922
Couple of nice XK's. Most of the mesh grille conversions I've seen look wrong, but love the look of this one.

View attachment 53923 View attachment 53924
One of my favourites, and I don't mean the Cavalier :ROFLMAO: It's a 1600GT, I had a similar 1600 GT XLR in gold with the black bonnet years ago. One of those cars I wish I still had.

View attachment 53929
And some more, because I like em :)

View attachment 53936
My favourite French car.

View attachment 53925
Some nice old busses were there, most of them doing what they were designed to do. My friend was driving this amongst others.

View attachment 53926 View attachment 53927
Model railway layout, something I've always fancied having a go at, but never seem to find the time.

View attachment 53928
And the real thing :) A 9F 2-10-0, one of the most powerful steam loco's built in the UK. Sounds gorgeous with a full rake of carriages pulling up the hill from Kelling to Holt (y)

More events to follow in future posts ;)
Great selection of photos and even the cars behind the main subject (y)

·
Premium Member
2017 Autobiography
12,059 Posts
... and sometimes less so:
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood

... but it certainly disguised a world of hurt after SWMBOs first off-road adventure!

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Reactions: John Wilko

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cracking pics Tim. Lovely mk1 Capri. I did actually quite like the cavalier ☺ my dad had one new in 1979. Nice to see Black Prince too as opposed to Evening Star 👍
Great selection of photos and even the cars behind the main subject (y)
Credit for the pics must go to Lena. There are lots more, way too many to put them all here.
There is always such a diverse selection of things to see there, it was difficult to decide what to post, so lets have a few more of my favourites.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

A very nice and unusual conversion.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

I did say there was a diverse selection :)

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Some like to make a proper weekend of it :cool:

Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky Land vehicle

Even the beeb were there :ROFLMAO:

And finally, some views from the train.

Cloud Plant Sky Building Road surface

Cloud Plant Sky Plant community Natural landscape

Cloud Sky Plant Tree Natural landscape

Cloud Sky Plant Ecoregion Natural environment

Cloud Sky Plant Ecoregion Nature

·
Premium Member
Jaguar XJ X351 Portfolio 3.0 V6 D Caviar
3,363 Posts
Me too and that Dodge is a funky looking dude too :cool:

Reactions: orsom weels

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, the CA was nice, very original on the outside, but a bit more 'upmarket' on the inside than it would have been when built, and looking at the gear stick position, I think the power train had had an upgrade too :unsure:

Car Seat belt Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Yes, the CA was nice, very original on the outside, but a bit more 'upmarket' on the inside than it would have been when built, and looking at the gear stick position, I think the power train had had an upgrade too :unsure:

View attachment 53997 View attachment 53998
Oh yes that's very different on the inside, yes it would of been a column shift originally

Reactions: orsom weels

·
Registered
1,271 Posts

View attachment 53997 View attachment 53998
Strangely those seats don't look anywhere near as 'out of place' as I would've thought!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Just spotted this thread, some great photos, thank you!
Brought back loads of happy holiday memories trundling between Sheringham & Holt and that Roman Bronze Capri in the first post had me looking to see if it happened to be STV594R which donated the significance of the "...TV" part of the registration on my Super. (STV594R was previously owned by Grandad, then Mum - she sold it in favour of a mk1 XR2 when I was about 13.)
Love to see unusual cars / vehicles being well appreciated :).

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Strangely those seats don't look anywhere near as 'out of place' as I would've thought!
I tend to err toward originality, but the whole thing had been very tastefully done and did have that 'right' look about it (y)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just spotted this thread, some great photos, thank you!
Brought back loads of happy holiday memories trundling between Sheringham & Holt and that Roman Bronze Capri in the first post had me looking to see if it happened to be STV594R which donated the significance of the "...TV" part of the registration on my Super. (STV594R was previously owned by Grandad, then Mum - she sold it in favour of a mk1 XR2 when I was about 13.)
Love to see unusual cars / vehicles being well appreciated :).
Glad to have rekindled some happy memories (y)
If you're referring to the MK2 Capri next to the Roller, it belongs to one of the members of the car club we were with. I can't quite make the reg out, and don't have a better pic of it. I'll try to remember to make a note of it next time I see it :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts