Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 LHD XJ8 Executive that was imported from Japan. I keep getting a P0028 error which goes away when I clear it but then it comes back again a few days later. I have changed the oil and have replaced the VVT solenoid twice with spare solenoids I had in my shop. Both times the solenoids tested fine - good strong movement when I applied 12V to the pins.
What would be the next thing I should do to get rid of this fault code?

When I first got the car it had a lot of pep and was very sporty and fast. It is still strong but I don't think it is as sporty as it was when I first got the car. I wonder if the two are related.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
23,456 Posts
P0028 is the generic code, you will need a more in depth code reader to get the next part of the code that will determine the exact cause.

Reactions: FlatCap

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jim.
I have a dedicated Jaguar scan tool made by Icarsoft. This is all it spat out - P0028. I can't get better than this code.
Is there not a standard set of tests one can do to check component integrity?
Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't want to count my chickens before the eggs have even been laid.... but for now I may have solved the problem. I disconnected the two connectors that are attached to the engine ECU and cleaned them with carburetor cleaner. The connectors looked in good shape. I reconnected and so far the check engine light has not come on. I have driven the car a whole day so far.
Dare I say - the ECU is not such an easy place to access......

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Sounding good so far joemar, hoping that it continues that way for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts