P0140, p0160 1999 jaguar xjr

Blue1999XJR

Reaction score
The car's behaviour is identical to when it first stalled. When starting it with the old and new battery the same thing happened. What do the fuel pumps have to do with the issue? My mind is set on the oxygen sensors being the issue but I could be wrong. Would a car not be able to maintain a run cycle if they were faulty? Thanks for your response. I appreciate it. Quick and interesting.
I'll check the fuel pumps. Thanks again for your help. Always appreciated.

ducmon

Reaction score
Is the car kept in a warm garage?

With the temperatures that you quoted I am wondering if you have frozen water in the fuel line.

I don't know if you can only buy alcohol diluted petrol like in the EU. We have found that this fuel breaks down within 3 months and a jelly forms which can block the fuel filter, this jelly contains some water. It may be worth you changing the fuel filter.

Blue1999XJR

Reaction score
Is the car kept in a warm garage?

With the temperatures that you quoted I am wondering if you have frozen water in the fuel line.

I don't know if you can only buy alcohol diluted petrol like in the EU. We have found that this fuel breaks down within 3 months and a jelly forms which can block the fuel filter, this jelly contains some water. It may be worth you changing the fuel filter.
Interesting theory. This is the second response I have received stating that the fuel filter may be the issue. With that being said, is there a way to test the condition of the fuel filter without removing it? Thank you for your help. Always appreciated.

Blue1999XJR

Reaction score
Interesting theory. This is the second response I have received stating that the fuel filter may be the issue. With that being said, is there a way to test the condition of the fuel filter without removing it? Thank you for your help. Always appreciated.
The car is currently in a garage which can be heated. Do you suggest turning the heater on for a given period of time aiming to heat the fuel lines? The vehicle has been in this garage for over a week

Blue1999XJR

Reaction score
Some stations have diluted fuel and others have pure. I've been using a mixture of both as I didn't think there would be an issue. I'll change that going forward. Thanks

ducmon

Reaction score
A fuel filter is a cheap and easy part to change. If you dont know how long it has been fitted I would change it.

At the same time you can see if the fuel pump works by turning the ignition on. Use something to catch the fuel though.

Andy K

Reaction score
So you are able to drive it then ?

An xjr starts the car on fuel pump #2
And then runs it on fuel pump #1

Above about 4000 rpm it uses both

So if #1 was faulty, it may start and stall

JimboV8

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
In total agreement with Andy, until you know whether the fuel pumps are working correctly you won’t get much further forward.