Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may help someone.

For the past week my car has put up the restricted performance message followed by the check engine light. The DTC was P0332 knock sensor output low etc - common to many Jaguar engines.

Nothing much seemed to change as to how it was running, so I was puzzled.

First I thought - flat battery, it did need a good charge, but the DTC came back after a few days.

Hopefully it isn't a bad sensor or ECM, that would be expensive - next thought it could be an air leak

It was, the airbox lid was not closed properly, the next week should prove or disprove this........

Merry Xmas all :)

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Check your battery with a load test. My battery has not been holding enough charge in the past when the weather became cold especially when I was only driving short distances.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Battery problems on these cars are always a good place to start. The battery should be ok, it is a Yuasa 5000 and less than 2 years old, but it was quite discharged. On my car a flat battery normally shows as the phone, cd changer and voice not working - which happened this time.

After I had charged it the problem returned after less than 1/2 mile so probably not the battery this time. By comparison, closing the airbox lid properly and clearing the DTC has (so far) resulted in no problems.

I'm going out this afternoon so that will be a useful test.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Take a multimeter with you if you have one and the car plays up again. Then check the voltage. I am afraid to say with these modern batteries that once they have been discharged. Then they can give up the ghost.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I always have a multimeter etc in the car at all times !

You are definitely correct about modern battery quality being suspect, the OEM Yuasa in my previous S Type lasted over 14 years with no real problems running the car at all. I'm pretty sure the current battery is fine it was last charged over a week ago and the DTC has not returned so far.

I could connect the diagnostic gadget to the car to record the battery voltage during the journey this PM.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So far so good, the fault has not returned since the airbox lid incident, which does seem slightly bizarre.

I also tried to record the battery voltage - but that was the only parameter the icarsoft LR v2 won't do, neither does it let me monitor the injectors even though they are in the list of recordable parameters.

Still, the problem seems to be fixed, hopefully this may help someone

1 - 6 of 6 Posts