Paint hardness for polishing

UltimateBlack

Reaction score
Hi All,

Does anyone know if ultimate black paint specifically is on the harder or softer side?

Tried researching a bit and in general it seems Jag paint is on the harder side, but wondering if any fellow detailing enthusiasts have had any specific experience.

Got a fair bit of swirling all over (and a little hologramming on the bonnet from whoever maybe tried to polish incorrectly) That I’d like to tackle soon ish. Have people found this to be relatively hard work?

As a little background, I’m relatively competent with a dual action, and had some decent results on a few cars I’ve tried with a rotary which had a bit more correction needed.

Many thanks,
Chris

Jimbov8

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
If you’re ok with the DA then you’re half way there. Clay bar is a must first followed by a good quality compound using the DA. A polish specifically designed for black cars next and lastly a carnuba wax.

It’ll come up like a diamond.:mrgreen::cool:

X-type_Bobstar

Reaction score
Hi, the Ultimate Black paintwork is very soft and you'll find you'll be able to easily correct it with a machine polisher, even a DA rather than rotary. Use a soft polishing pad with something like Menzerna 2400 or 3800 polish and you'll remove majority of marks easily and quickly. After wash, do a thorough decontamination to remove tar spots and use clay to remove embedded dirt. you don't need a polish specifically for black cars, just use one that has no fillers for best results.

JimC64

Reaction score
Hi, the Ultimate Black paintwork is very soft and you'll find you'll be able to easily correct it with a machine polisher, even a DA rather than rotary. Use a soft polishing pad with something like Menzerna 2400 or 3800 polish and you'll remove majority of marks easily and quickly. After wash, do a thorough decontamination to remove tar spots and use clay to remove embedded dirt. you don't need a polish specifically for black cars, just use one that has no fillers for best results.

Our resident detailer has spoken :cool:

Jim

UltimateBlack

Reaction score
Great, thanks Bob appreciate that! Going to get round to it soon when there’s a weekend with some decent enough weather.

I already have some menzerna which I use anyway so that’s good to hear, and of course have all the other bits and pieces including some ironx, bug and tar, clay bars etc. for the prep after wash - wouldn’t dare polish anything without doing that!

Thanks again!
Chris