Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a few EPB issues in my 4.2 X350, usually cured by a reset, although I did have an issue when a caliper follower stuck, but always cured, until now.
So I have Parkbrake Fault showing, and the brake symbols flashing. When I operate the brake lever, I don't hear the motor whirring at all. I've disconnected the parkbrake module, and wired directly to 12v. When I do this, I can hear the motor whirring, reverse the polarity, and it whirs the other way - however, when I energise the motor, I can't see the cables going in or out. The cables all appear to be ok, So the motor appears to be working, but could it be that the actuator isn't?
But if this was the case, wouldn't the motor work when the lever is pulled up or down too?

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Sounds like the drive gears or something mechanical is broken in the unit.
The EPM module will know if the mechanism is moving and also measures current.
If it knows there is an issue it will no longer try and drive the mechanism.
Works similar to a one touch window relay , stops as current curve increases.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers, that's my thinking as well, just wanted to back up with a 2nd, 3rd, 4th opinion :) What you say about the module knowing there's a problem and no longer trying makes sense too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its ok, I know the cables aren't moving, I've got the wheels off, and unclipped the cable ends. Motor whirring, but nothing happening with the cables at all. When I push on the cables, they seem to be free, moving in and out with ease, but not being pulled up or down by the motor.|
So, how do I get the motor / actuator out? Is there a How To anywhere for a X350? Anyone done it before and can give some tips?

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
As far as I can see , the braking unit only has a single pulling wire from it,
This must lead to a clevis of some description to pull both caliper cables.
Follow them from the caliper back and you will find it , Google not very helpful on this one.
I would think maybe in the transmission tunnel if you're lucky, and above the differential if you're unlucky ........
Hopefully someone will have a bit more info for you.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Just rang my friendly Jag master technician to see where the unit is , his response was as follows ....

" It's in a f**k pig of a place above the diff Eddie , you can't get at it at all "

On the plus side , the brakes are not jammed on and you can still leave it in park to lock the transmission.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just rang my friendly Jag master technician to see where the unit is , his response was as follows ....

" It's in a f**k pig of a place above the diff Eddie , you can't get at it at all "

On the plus side , the brakes are not jammed on and you can still leave it in park to lock the transmission.
Cheers, I know where it is. I know that on S-types, you lower the diff to get it out, but looking at the diff on the x350, there's no room to get to the bolts by the spare wheel well.

I need to get it changed as its MOT time next week

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Solved it! And it really was a doddle in the end! Looking at the positioning of the parking brake motor, I figured that the easiest way to get at it would be if I cut a hole in the spare wheel well. I got out the angle grinder, and cut a letter box shaped hole at the back, near the top of the well about 8 inches by 3 inches, which gave room, not only to undo the two bolts that hold it in place, but also to remove the complete assembly out via the spare wheel well! Replacement was the reverse of this, in through the hole and bolted up! I then put a lip of aluminium around the piece I'd cut out, and glued and riveted it back into place - job done, and another 12 months of MOT in the bag too.

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
Solved it! And it really was a doddle in the end! Looking at the positioning of the parking brake motor, I figured that the easiest way to get at it would be if I cut a hole in the spare wheel well. I got out the angle grinder, and cut a letter box shaped hole at the back, near the top of the well about 8 inches by 3 inches, which gave room, not only to undo the two bolts that hold it in place, but also to remove the complete assembly out via the spare wheel well! Replacement was the reverse of this, in through the hole and bolted up! I then put a lip of aluminium around the piece I'd cut out, and glued and riveted it back into place - job done, and another 12 months of MOT in the bag too.
Utter Brilliance, buy a lotto ticket as you're on a winning streak.

Images Needed please.

2/3/4 year old car perhaps not.

9/10/11 year old car why the hell not, don't work harder, think smarter.

:-D

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Top man Jemp,
That is a good workaround and worked out well for you.
Have you got any pictures ? I would certainly follow suit if need be.
BR, Eddie

·
Premium Member
2016 Autobiography
2,370 Posts
Not wanting to temp fate, but this is ingenious, and noted for the hopefully never needed moment....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.