Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pedestrian warning system. Only just completed fitting a new water pump etc and now I have another message. has anyone any experience of clearing the Pedestrian Protection System warning message, or investigating its cause? My brief research today suggests there are sensors in or around the front bumper that trigger the raising of the rear of the bonnet if hit by a pedestrian. It seems these sensors can move if subject to jolts and bumps thus triggering a message on the screen. Some suggest it can only be cleared at a main dealer, but others say they have cleared and solved the problem but do not give details.

Looks like I need yet another steep learning curve to solve this one.

·
Premium Member
23,456 Posts
Hi John,
A suitable code reader, such as the icarsoft will clear the code and the dash warnings, however, if the fault has not been repaired the warning will reappear straight away.
If you have the XK then you will be able to change the sensors from the top by removing the black plastic cover under the leading edge of the bonnet.

Reactions: XKJohn

·
Registered
164 Posts
It isn't just a question of clearing a code. You need to get the system checked out either by an indie or a main dealer, whichever you prefer. Here is a recent thread that you might find of interest relating to the issue.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi John,
A suitable code reader, such as the icarsoft will clear the code and the dash warnings, however, if the fault has not been repaired the warning will reappear straight away.
If you have the XK then you will be able to change the sensors from the top by removing the black plastic cover under the leading edge of the bonnet.
Great, I have an icarsoft, brilliant indispensable bit of kit. Never had this message appear before but will have a look tomorrow - many thanks for your information. Will keep you informed of progress.(2011 XK portfolio convertable)
Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Car

Photo taken last week in the Vosges area of France outside the birthplace of Joan of Arc - no warning messages during trip!

·
Premium Member
23,456 Posts
The icarsoft will also tell you which sensor is causing the problem.

Reactions: XKJohn

·
Registered
312 Posts
"Pedestrian Protection System"... Is this the mechanism that detects when you've struck a human and it pops the hood (bonnet?) a bit so that bodies don't have a hard impact against the engine? I had literally never heard of that before until I saw mention of it on these forums. I've never heard that we have anything like that on U.S. variants. Does anyone know what countries require that? It seems so incredibly bizarre to me, and I can't imagine how much it adds to the build cost on the car. And is that required on all cars, or just those where there's very little clearance between the bonnet and the engine? Does the Pedestrian Protection System do anything other than pop the bonnet open?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It isn't just a question of clearing a code. You need to get the system checked out either by an indie or a main dealer, whichever you prefer. Here is a recent thread that you might find of interest relating to the issue.
OK I will also take this into account tomorrow when I investigate further - annoying faults on XK.

·
Registered
164 Posts
"Pedestrian Protection System"... Is this the mechanism that detects when you've struck a human and it pops the hood (bonnet?) a bit so that bodies don't have a hard impact against the engine? I had literally never heard of that before until I saw mention of it on these forums. I'm pretty sure we don't have anything like that on U.S. variants. Does anyone know what countries require that? It seems so incredibly bizarre to me, and I can't imagine how much it adds to the build cost on the car. And is that required on all cars, or just those where there's very little clearance between the bonnet and the engine? Does the Pedestrian Protection System do anything other than pop the bonnet open?
My post #51 in this thread will help you - Check Pedestrian System warning

·
Registered
312 Posts
My post #51 in this thread will help you - Check Pedestrian System warning
Thanks, Marco Polo. I'd certainly heard of passive approaches to pedestrian safety (design & materials used in bumpers), and more recently, the broad use of automatic braking systems to dramatically reduce speed to lessen impacts (or avoid them altogether). But the concept of popping the bonnet to avoid pedestrian impact with hard surfaces underneath it is, I think, next level. Perhaps I had never run across it because Jaguar's deployment on the XK appears (from your post) to have originated on the 2011MY; my XK is 2007.

interesting, though, that the post from which you quoted originated by someone trying to bypass the system; he said he had a 2009 XKR. So maybe it was introduced prior to 2011?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks, Marco Polo. I'd certainly heard of passive approaches to pedestrian safety (design & materials used in bumpers), and more recently, the broad use of automatic braking systems to dramatically reduce speed to lessen impacts (or avoid them altogether). But the concept of popping the bonnet to avoid pedestrian impact with hard surfaces underneath it is, I think, next level. Perhaps I had never run across it because Jaguar's deployment on the XK appears (from your post) to have originated on the 2011MY; my XK is 2007.

interesting, though, that the post from which you quoted originated by someone trying to bypass the system; he said he had a 2009 XKR. So maybe it was introduced prior to 2011?
No - it was introduced when the X150 model was launched in 2006.

·
Registered
312 Posts
No - it was introduced when the X150 model was launched in 2006.
Very interesting. So either a) my 2007 has it and I'm not aware of it, or b) it wasn't on the 2007 MY when it came to the U.S. (Note that 2007 is the first year the X150 was available in the U.S.)

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Just replaced both sensors on my 2007 XKR.
Icarsoft showed it as the left hand sensor but decided to do both while I had the bumper off.
Seems they get very sensitive to heat as they get older, mine were failing while on a trip through Spain but not failing in the UK.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just replaced both sensors on my 2007 XKR.
Icarsoft showed it as the left hand sensor but decided to do both while I had the bumper off.
Seems they get very sensitive to heat as they get older, mine were failing while on a trip through Spain but not failing in the UK.
Thanks for the info, mine is a 2011 XK but I am sure there will be little difference in the sensors. How much were the sensors? Can I get them from a general supplier, or will I have to go to Barretts Jaguar parts?

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
The ones for earlier cars are now superseded by the ones fitted to the later models like yours,
I didn't find much difference in prices so bought mine from my local main dealer. I think I paid £128 each.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The ones for earlier cars are now superseded by the ones fitted to the later models like yours,
I didn't find much difference in prices so bought mine from my local main dealer. I think I paid £128 each.
Thanks, I am on the case today so will plug in the icarsoft and search for the fault codes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the info, mine is a 2011 XK but I am sure there will be little difference in the sensors. How much were the sensors? Can I get them from a general supplier, or will I have to go to Barretts Jaguar parts?
Have the icarsoft connected but cannot find the section or readout dealing with these sensors - any pointers, thanks

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
XKJohn, just had a quick look and I think it comes under system list 25 Impact Classification System.
Does a smart scan not show up the fault ?
Mines a Version 2 iCarsoft.

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Just a thought, when mine was in fault it showed a warning triangle on the dash and in the centre info screen, When the fault was cleared or a sensor not failing I did not see a warning.
As you know mines a 4.2 2007 but I doubt the "alarm" display would be different.
I'm just wondering if you're trying to find something when it's not actually in a failed state.
The faulty sensor I had only faulted in warm/hot weather.
Nick

1 - 20 of 28 Posts