Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that phil neither does mine but most of the cars I have had seem to have a vacuum in the tank and you can hear it when you remove the cap just thought I might have a problem with them evap system but if yours is the same then all is well thank you for checking yours

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Thanks for that phil neither does mine but most of the cars I have had seem to have a vacuum in the tank and you can hear it when you remove the cap just thought I might have a problem with them evap system but if yours is the same then all is well thank you for checking yours
No problem.

I checked long before your post appeared because my X308 used to 'whoosh' upon opening.
This one - not a peep. Odd huh?

Phil.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Normally when you remove the fuel cap it should be silent if the tank and filler neck breather systems are working fine. In the past if your tanks breather system is blocked it creates the vacuum and hence the WHOOSH noise when releasing the fuel cap. I had an old mk5 cortina that sounded like a tornado when you removed the fuel cap and occasionally she would suffer from fuel starvation due the strong vacuum caused by the blocked breather. Never did fix it as I knew exactly when it was going to happen in the end.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine is also silent but I had an Opel Manta in the 1980s and at the start of a holiday in France it conked out with the fuel gauge indicating over three quarters full. The tank had collapsed inwards due to a blocked breather. I had to stop and fill up every 80 miles. On returning home the mechanic at my usual garage wrapped a rag around his airline and stuck it in the filler neck. After a couple of seconds there was a bang and the tank resumed approximately its correct shape. Not sure I should recommend this but it worked. Perhaps with modern plastic tanks this doesn't happen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.