Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last ten years I've been driving 3.0 / 3.2 litre diesel estate cars as I've needed them to carry my disabled sons equipment, have loved the fuel economy and now i have the 3.0 petrol S - type which is less than half as economical as any of the other cars.

So my question is what are the differences between the petrol and diesel S - type?

·
Registered
349 Posts
I've had both.

3.0 petrol was an old un but good enough, like you say a little thirsty.

Curren jag is a 06 2.7 manual and its worlds apart from the old pez one I had.

its just as quiet as the 3.0 but has more torque which makes it lovely and smooth

Average 40mpg running around and around 50mpg on a run.

if you do decide on a diesel make sure you either get a pre 05 non dpf car or if you get a dpf car make sure you do the mileage as they soon clog up then it's bye bye engine!

Horror stories on here say diesel mixed with oil causes the bottom end to fail.

a good rum now and again sorts the regen cycle out, I've had mine 3 years and in that time I've only covered about 20k but I do a lot of longish runs so no problems with it.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
diesels are nice and everything, but have a habit of destroying themselves in many ways :(

So if you can't afford to write off the car, don't buy one

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
I am running a 2003 sport manual with 3.0 liter motor. Which I get around 29 miles per gallon running around and on long runs around 34. I
personally find that this alright and dont worry about the cost. I looked at diesel cars when I was trying to buy a s type and the extra 2000€ was not worth it as it would take a lot of diesel before I saved this amount.

Also here in Germany the car tax is twice that for what you pay for a petrol car and with the court cases against pollution (NOX) that are currently running it may not be possible to drive them in quite a lot of cities here.

If you are worried about the cost of running a Jaguar S type then it may not be the car for you as they are getting a bit long in the tooth and are also quite expensive to service if you do not have the facilities to do it yourself but there are not many cars out there with the same smile factor.

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
You can buy any diesel for a lot less than last year.

Next year you'll sell it for less than half

In 3 years you'll have to give it away but can buy a far newer far better one for less than a grand.

You'll be a target for the anti pollution Gullibles.

That's it.

Go for whatever diesel you want, start with an offer around 50 to 70% of the asking price.

Few other people will buy a diesel now.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Would not touch a diesel car in the present climate, and as said you soon won't be able to give them away.

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
Would not touch a diesel car in the present climate, and as said you soon won't be able to give them away.
That's why they are a perfect buy Graham.

Here is 2007 Jag Diesel in top condition as an example:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708278732214

Even that low price can be dropped.

An awful lot of car for peanuts if the owner doesn't need to go into city zones.

Owners can't get rid easily so the prices are dropping.

There are many other marques you can get newer for the same money.

For another example...
£3k loss maximum over 2 years... Nothing.

Check out bigger newer diesels on autotrader, can get a 6 year old for that now.

Get rid in 2 years for any money, buy a 3-4 year old for £4-5k then.

All good in my view.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was more interested in comparisons between the diesel and petrol s type, drivability, noise level etc, more than happy with my petrol one.... just needs a little tlc ��

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
The diesel is almost as smooth as the petrol. Lots more torque means it picks up speed very quickly with less changing down. I like the manual, but your preference. Get a pre- DPF one if possible.

I don't know how many miles you plan on doing. If it's not too many I'd go for a 4.2 V8. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
Sorry Andy, just checked and they still work for me.

I searched for Jaguar S Type and diesel fuel.

Then I changed make to any and the BMWs come up.

There are so many diesels now.

I would offer £700 less to start if you like one.

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
I am just hanging on to mine at the moment as the replacement needs to be 2014/5 to get the Euro6 version. I know the DPF is going to be a problem as I do mostly shortish journeys but a couple of times a month I do a reasonable trip over 100 miles. But I find the diesel engine is easier to maintain than the petrol.and will last longer if looked after. That's just my opinion though.

Roger

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I am just hanging on to mine at the moment as the replacement needs to be 2014/5 to get the Euro6 version. I know the DPF is going to be a problem as I do mostly shortish journeys but a couple of times a month I do a reasonable trip over 100 miles. But I find the diesel engine is easier to maintain than the petrol.and will last longer if looked after. That's just my opinion though.

Roger
Sounds like you do far far too few miles to make a Deisel worth considering.

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
I do about 9K per year. Overall average 35mpg a petrol equivalent would be 25 so well worth it to me as a retired old man:)

Roger

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Petrol is far far easier to maintain, far simpler, and reliability has swung poles.

The deisel has all the components on the petrol.

+ DPF
+ Two Turbos
+ Timing Belt
+ Intercooler

The 9000 Miles equates to about £914 per year. With the risk of the above issue, and the ( Previous higher purchase cost) the margins become slim economically.

TT

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Petrol is far far easier to maintain, far simpler, and reliability has swung poles.

The deisel has all the components on the petrol.

+ DPF
+ Two Turbos
+ Timing Belt
+ Intercooler

The 9000 Miles equates to about £914 per year. With the risk of the above issue, and the ( Previous higher purchase cost) the margins become slim economically.

TT
Yes but I have the X Type Haha
1 turbo
No DPF
No Timing Belt
No Spark Plugs
No Coils

I do not know where you get your costs from but I have spent £1270 in fuel in the last year against £1870 for the equivalent in petrol.:-?

Roger

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.