Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

The Phone Book list in the car has -MN after the contacts name ....... any idea what this is/means as is not something in my phone contact list.

Thanks

· Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Mobile Number?

Did you enter the list or is it someone else's?

It uploaded automatically from my phone when I paired it (Iphone 7) - so my contact names/numbers.

I thought at first it might stand for 'multi numbers' (or something like that) because some of my contacts have more than 1 number but when I checked even those contacts with only 1 number has '-MN' as well.

Are there any rules that contacts and numbers have to adhere too on the phone so they display correctly in the Jag ?

· Registered
41 Posts
is it not memory number if voice is fitted you can dial by speaking memory number ?

· Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is it not memory number if voice is fitted you can dial by speaking memory number ?
Thats a good thought. It does have voice but if that was the case would it not have '-MN' + a unique number after it to identify that contact ?

Its a puzzle - would be interested if anyone else with bluetooth & voice have the same issue .........

· Registered
22,331 Posts
Nah, can't be an issue Barry, it's a design Feature!

Hehehe ;)

There is a Telephony handbook somewhere, I'm sure I've seen it long ago.

Anyone have a link to it for Barry?

· Registered
640 Posts
Phone book suffixes
With some mobile phones, it is possible to
store phone numbers in different
categories:
• Work/Office
• Mobile
• Home
If numbers are stored in your mobile
phone in these categories, the vehicle
phone book will add a suffix to each entry:
WK (work/office), MN (mobile) or
HM (home).
This enables the system to handle
contacts who have several different
phone numbers.

clicky link to hand book,https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/top...654#b06b84d3-cc5e-4590-a605-6ab2b4c847d5!!2!1

or here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/...-factory-telephone-uk-33-jjm-10-31-99-552.pdf

· Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks V8Steve - thats the info I was looking for ........ makes sort of sense.

In my phone a contact can have multiple phone numbers with a field identifying if its 'Home' 'Work' 'Mobile' 'Custom Name' etc.

For some reason in the Jag ALL numbers have -MN beside them regardless of the identifier. Possibly because 'Mobile' is usually the first in the list (but not always).

I will have to play with the contacts and then update the Jag again to see what effect changes have.

At least I know what the -MN is now.

Thanks again.

· Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Let us know when you work it out Barry
Still not worked it out .....

So I change a couple of contacts in the phone contact list to see what would happen - tried ##2#*# to update phone book .... no change (looked the same as if no update had taken place).

Then unpaired the phone from the Jag and did a ##3#*# to reconnect (as this forced the phone book update originally) - now have just 1 entry in the Jag phone book, my own number with -MN after it.

Minor frustration set in and I gave up then ...... will continue another day.

· Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Duplicate post .... oops

· Registered
2,356 Posts
Just been out and checked mine. All numbers have MN after them whether they are mobile numbers or not on my phone (iphone 5).
Handbook clearly states that MN should indicate Mobile No. There is not one WK or HM displayed.
I am interested to know if there is an answer to this oddity.

· Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice to know its not just me .........

· Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ongoing saga .....

Used a 2nd phone (which has only 1 contact entry) to pair and this removed the previous address book.

Then re-paired the original phone but again it only listed my own number on the Jag screen.

Not sure where to go from here - interested if anyone else been through this ?

· Registered
2,356 Posts
I remember fiddling about for some time when I first bought the car and was not able to remove the MN code.
Its also a shame that when looking for an entry that the search will only accept the first letter of the surname which means scrolling through all the names starting with the same letter. I have just accepted that it is old tech.
I have recorded sound tags to my most used contacts which is useful and works.

· Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Well would you believe it - its working again....

What I did -

On the iPhone under 'Bluetooth' you can see your connected devices - one being the Jag.
Touched the little 'i' symbol against the Jag entry and there is a 'Sync Contacts' entry which you can enable/disable - this was already enabled.
Under that are 3 entries 'Phone Favorites' then 'Phone Recents' and 'All Contacts'

Favourites & Recents were enabled but not All - as am experiment I enabled all and disabled Favourites & Recents ...... this didn't work.
I then enabled everything and lo and behold I have a contacts list back in the Jag, they still have -MN after every number but guess I will have to live with that.

· Registered
2,356 Posts
Well done. Like me, you didn't give up!
Have you managed to record some favourites with t sound tag? It took ages to get the JagVoice to hear the numbers correctly but eventually I mastered it.
I found some numbers stored by a previous owner which I rang and obtained some useful history about my car :)

· Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well done. Like me, you didn't give up!
Have you managed to record some favourites with t sound tag? It took ages to get the JagVoice to hear the numbers correctly but eventually I mastered it.
I found some numbers stored by a previous owner which I rang and obtained some useful history about my car :)
I have so far recorded all of 2 Name Tags - as you say getting it to recognise the correct numbers as you say them is painful. The 2nd number I added took a while and in the end I just said 1 digit at a time and that seemed to work but obviously took longer than I would have liked.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.