Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So collected my XJR this evening and had a lovely 1 hour drive home in it. A few things I noticed;

1. This car is FAST!
2. The fuel economy isn't as bad as I thought it would be, was getting about 25 - 27mpg. This was on a run and I'm expecting town mpg to be around 15.
3. Getting low coolant level warning pop up intermittently, despite it being topped up. Will check levels again in the daylight tomorrow.
4. This car is FAST!
5. Both keyfobs aren't working. Going to try new batteries first, then check rear screen antennea, have cleaned contacts. If not will send for new switches from ebay guy.
6. I already love this car.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi mate - it seems a bit quiet round these parts.. I've had more luck over on Retro Rides. Ive just picked up an 01 xjr myself; i agree.. they're ****** fast! Mines lpg'd :)

·
Premium Member
17,795 Posts
Welcome aboard, that's one fast ride you have

Hopefully minimal issues and all is well
Cheers
Jim

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
@Daveyboy20 I was toying with the thought around going LPG. Do you notice any performance hits on yours?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome aboard, that's one fast ride you have

Hopefully minimal issues and all is well
Cheers
Jim
Yep going to top up the coolant, I don't think it is anything sinister (hopefully) as at the beginning of the year it had all the cooling system replaced by the previous owner, so hopefully just the key fob issue to sort out.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
congrats

The coolant level floats, not longer float.
If you take the cap off when cold and give the float a bit of a prod up and down it might free it, and make it work for a bit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
congrats

The coolant level floats, not longer float.
If you take the cap off when cold and give the float a bit of a prod up and down it might free it, and make it work for a bit.
Thanks Andy, I'll give that a try and have a poke around on my lunch break to see if that helps. I've read that the connector for the float also gets a bit corroded and can cause the same problems. So a few bits to try.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Opened the bonnet up on my lunchbreak and had a poke at the float, didn't seem stuck as it bobbed quite happily. Topped up the coolant to the brim. One thing I did notice is that whenever I put some fluid in it seemed to vortex away. This happened a couple of times and I had the horrible feeling that it was just emptying out under the car. But no leaks or pooling. topped it up and put the cap on and took it for a spin. Temp gauge sat at halfway mark solid and I didn't get the Low Coolant message pop up. Will keep an eye on it and check the coolant levels everyday for a few days to make sure it stays full.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Opened the bonnet up on my lunchbreak and had a poke at the float, didn't seem stuck as it bobbed quite happily. Topped up the coolant to the brim. One thing I did notice is that whenever I put some fluid in it seemed to vortex away. This happened a couple of times and I had the horrible feeling that it was just emptying out under the car. But no leaks or pooling. topped it up and put the cap on and took it for a spin. Temp gauge sat at halfway mark solid and I didn't get the Low Coolant message pop up. Will keep an eye on it and check the coolant levels everyday for a few days to make sure it stays full.
Hmmm Water should stay just under the cap. Best way to fill is when cold and engine on as the level does drop when running. Leaks are a common problem , check the valley pipe as best you can as these are prone to failure. Leaks are hard to spot as in the valley and can sometimes be seen down the back of the gearbox housing. Fobs. Make sure they work before sending to Fingaz, he only fixes buttons (well worth it ;) ) he can't sort broken boards :(

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there any back pressure from the expansion tank when the engine is cold ?
No back pressure, I checked again this evening before I left work and the coolant level is sitting where it should be. Will be checking regularly for a few days though

·
Banned
7,619 Posts
Thats a welcome relief . you mentioned earlier about the previous owner doing some renewals to the coolant system ,
I think regular checks and taking nothing for granted regarding the veracity of this previous work is how I would be
approaching things . Looking forward to hearing your future experiences , thanks

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Don't fill it above the 2 pipe connections at the top, else it will just flow into a container under the wing/headlight.

I actually keep mine a lot lower.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think everyone's trying to prove me wrong re: getting replies �� where are my replies on my cold misfire thread?!! I'll try not to take it personally....

Re: lpg... I'll hold judgement until i get it running right then let you know!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I've managed to get both the fobs working. I cleaned all the contacts/rubber button contacts with meths, made sure the antennae on the rear screen was connected, and reprogrammed both. Didn't get any confirmation chimes or led flashes, but when I tried it all working. Going to send them off for new buttons to be fitted now.

But...

Low Coolant warning is back.
Yesterday was fine, got home parked up, and drove into work this morning. Just pulling into our office car park and the warning popped up. I haven't checked the coolant levels as I'm waiting for the engine to cool down before I check.

When I was looking at the repair ticket from the beginning of this year, all the cooling bits were done along with the head gasket. The only thing it seems that wasn't replaced was the water pump...

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Water pumps on early ones were a problem. But would have hoped yours was ok.

My light comes on sometimes. I take the cap off and put it back on and that's enough to sort it lol. So worth trying.

I guess it must suck some fluid out the expansion bottle but it should really happen automatically.

·
Registered
99 Posts
First suspect: Old cap on the tank, not able to keep pressure, which then let the coolant expand to the wingtank, but not let it be sucked back, they are cheap to replace,
Second: Lines not crossed on the expansion tank,
Third: a small leak (it took me 2 months to find mine, by that time it was not small any more, and showed),
Forth: Unfortunately, maybe a head gasket leak (have seen several threads start like this).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
First suspect: Old cap on the tank, not able to keep pressure, which then let the coolant expand to the wingtank, but not let it be sucked back, they are cheap to replace,
Second: Lines not crossed on the expansion tank,
Third: a small leak (it took me 2 months to find mine, by that time it was not small any more, and showed),
Forth: Unfortunately, maybe a head gasket leak (have seen several threads start like this).
Thanks, I hadn't thought of the seal on the cap causing a lack of pressure. I'm going to give that a try first as it seems to be the most straight forward (and cheapest) option. I did take a look at the cap when the engine was cold and the o-ring on it was a bit crusty and looked worn.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is what I miss about owning an older car, I learnt a lot when I had my old Series III Land Rover!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.