Jaguar Forum banner
641 - 660 of 685 Posts

·
Premium Member
Jaguar XJ X351 Portfolio 3.0 V6 D Caviar
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #641 ·
I've just welcomed a new member to the forum and the funny thing was, his what I can only imagine gorgeous new F-type has very nearly the same personalised number plate as Mark's gorgeous new Rosso and was I stunned or what?

Talk about coincidence and not to mention being loaded, not that I am at all a little green with envy you understand, but you know me and cherished plates, anyway, see what you think;

New member - MY18

Mark - 2018MY
As I was pondering why you would have a plate with such letters and numbers, assuming neither are aged 18, could it have been a good year etc., I thought nahhhh, something not quite right here and
Smile Pollinator Insect Cartoon Honeybee

Old Ruby at it again!

Cartoon Rectangle Happy Font Costume hat

Off I go on a quick search and what a twit I am, MY = Model Year ... well I'll go to the foot of our stairs, which could take a while given we live in a bungalow :rolleyes:

Generally speaking, the 'MY' indicates a specific version of a model that has several versions over a period of time and may include the year that version first appeared.

Model year - Wikipedia

Guide to abbreviations in car adverts - Saga

Product Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel

·
Premium Member
2007 X350 Sovereign 2.7 diesel
6,032 Posts
I've just welcomed a new member to the forum and the funny thing was, his what I can only imagine gorgeous new F-type has very nearly the same personalised number plate as Mark's gorgeous new Rosso and was I stunned or what?

Talk about coincidence and not to mention being loaded, not that I am at all a little green with envy you understand, but you know me and cherished plates, anyway, see what you think;

New member - MY18

Mark - 2018MY
As I was pondering why you would have a plate with such letters and numbers, assuming neither are aged 18, could it have been a good year etc., I thought nahhhh, something not quite right here and View attachment 56844

Old Ruby at it again!

View attachment 56843

Off I go on a quick search and what a twit I am, MY = Model Year ... well I'll go to the foot of our stairs, which could take a while given we live in a bungalow :rolleyes:

Generally speaking, the 'MY' indicates a specific version of a model that has several versions over a period of time and may include the year that version first appeared.

Model year - Wikipedia

Guide to abbreviations in car adverts - Saga

View attachment 56857
Bit confused here, aware of what MY means relating to cars etc. but neither MY 18 or 2018 MY come up on the DVLA website?

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #643 ·
Bit confused here, aware of what MY means relating to cars etc. but neither MY 18 or 2018 MY come up on the DVLA website?
My mistake NM-OLDER, I thought they were personalised plates when in actual fact I was completely wrong as the MY18 and 2018MY were simply descriptive terms for the Model Year of the new member and Mark's cars.

I was calling myself out in jest, for not knowing the fact that 'MY' stood for 'Model Year' in the car world and can be seen with some advertising especially on used car sales sites ... I apologise for my sense of humour and any confusion caused.

·
Premium Member
2007 X350 Sovereign 2.7 diesel
6,032 Posts
My mistake NM-OLDER, I thought they were personalised plates when in actual fact I was completely wrong as the MY18 and 2018MY were simply descriptive terms for the Model Year of the new member and Mark's cars.

I was calling myself out in jest, for not knowing the fact that 'MY' stood for 'Model Year' in the car world and can be seen with some advertising especially on used car sales sites ... I apologise for my sense of humour and any confusion caused.
No apologies needed :D

Reactions: Ruby351

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #645 · (Edited)
Had a few weeks worrying time with Lizzy while she sat quietly waiting on our drive for her appt with her doc , they are very, very busy and although they said we could take her out for short trips, we weren't taking any chances and we are fortunate to have other vehicles to get around in.

So, the problem you may ask, well this came up on the dash:

Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Speedometer Gauge

I have to say it did put the wind up us, although I didn't let on to Anita, just how much so for me, given that according to what I have read on the forum, repairs to Jaguars can be a costly ... errrrr ... that is a very costly business. So I spent the time wisely, every now and then subtly and not too frequently remarking how lucky we were to have such lovely cars, we haven't had to spend much on them to date and that we put money aside to pay for any work should it be needed so there are no worries on that score ... says she :eek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The day comes, Lizzy is dropped off the night before as that saves us getting up bright and breezy in the morning and surgery can start as soon as the gents want. No early phone call, good sign me thinks, as no indication of mega problem and mega bucks fee. Lunchtime tinkle, "she's all sorted and ready to collect", diagnosed the problem, fixed, taken on a test run ... bet who ever that lucky person(s) was had fun :cool: ... and cheap as chips, who would have believed it?!

Rectangle Font Parallel Document Paper

The thing is, Anita is still hankering after a 4X4 o_O Some kind of crazy person or what?!!!. I can't understand it for the life of me, no really, now why on earth would you want to chop in a magnificent Jaguar X351, for some top heavy, rolling, beast of a machine like a 4X4 that is going to cost just as much, if not more to repair, and far more to drive, well okay, that's not an issue for us given we do such low mileage, but you get my point right?

So my worry was not really just about what the car would cost to repair, in so much as if it ran into thousands, as obviously I have no idea but when you are talking hydraulics and stabilisation etc., well hmmmmm that could be a real problem ending up with the days of Lizzy being numbered and I my protestations would be like water falling off a duck's back and I would be one very miserable Ruby.

Hey-ho, this didn't happen, Lizzy is safe for the time being, we are two happy and I am one very, relieved bunnies

Dog Cartoon Carnivore Gesture Happy

·
Premium Member
17,834 Posts
Had a few weeks worrying time with Lizzy while she sat quietly waiting on our drive for her appt with her doc , they are very, very busy and although they said we could take her out for short trip, we weren't taking any chances and we are fortunate to have other vehicles to get around in.

So, the problem you may ask, well this came up on the dash:

View attachment 56941

I have to say it did put the wind up us, although I didn't let on to Anita, just how much so for me, given that according to what I have read on the forum, repairs to Jaguars can be a costly ... errrrr ... that is a very costly business. So I spent the time wisely, every now and then subtly and not too frequently remarking how lucky we were to have such lovely cars, we haven't had to spend much on them to date and that we put money aside to pay for any work should it be needed so there are no worries on that score ... says she :eek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The day comes, Lizzy is dropped off the night before as that saves us getting up bright and breezy in the morning and surgery can start as soon as the gents want. No early phone call, good sign me thinks, as no indication of mega problem and mega bucks fee. Lunchtime tinkle, "she's all sorted and ready to collect", diagnosed the problem, fixed, taken on a test run ... bet who ever that lucky person(s) was had fun :cool: ... and cheap as chips, who would have believed it?!

View attachment 56942

The thing is, Anita is still hankering after a 4X4 o_O Some kind of crazy person or what?!!!. I can't understand it for the life of me, no really, now why on earth would you want to chop in a magnificent Jaguar X351, for some top heavy, rolling, beast of a machine like a 4X4 that is going to cost just as much, if not more to repair, and far more to drive, well okay, that's not an issue for us given we do such low mileage, but you get my point right?

So my worry was not really just about what the car would cost to repair, in so much as if it ran into thousands, as obviously I have no idea but when you are talking hydraulics and stabilisation etc., well hmmmmm that could be a problem and then the days of Lizzy could well be numbered and I my protestations would be like water falling off a duck's back and I would be one very miserable Ruby.

Hey-ho, this didn't happen, Lizzy is safe for the time being, we are two happy and I am one very, relieved bunnies

View attachment 56945
Nice little fault and positively cheap as chips to fix too.
Pleased for you Gina

Jim

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Haven't been on forum much of last few weeks it seems, save for some fleeting glances at threads at "top of shop".

Have to say your motor a few pages back on your thread looked stunning in that sunshine. Colours really grown on me

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #648 ·
Haven't been on forum much of last few weeks it seems, save for some fleeting glances at threads at "top of shop".

Have to say your motor a few pages back on your thread looked stunning in that sunshine. Colours really grown on me
Thank you Andrew, I'm chuffed you think so. :)

Reactions: WelshBoa

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #649 ·
Just bagged a great saving on windscreen wipers, following a tip on JimC64's post "Jim's XJ X351 ownership thread"

Basically, Halfords are doing some deals on wipers with fairly hefty price reductions available and on top of this if you spend over £20 you get FREE delivery and over £30 you get an additional 10% off ... pretty good eh?

Well you know me, likes a bargain I do and in for a penny in for a pound, off like a shot onto their website, smoke coming from the keys of my laptop and BINGO! Wipers ordered for Lizzy (Jag), Desiree (Merc) but no can do for Dolores (Bentus)
Cartoon Art Painting Rectangle Font

Here we go then ... spent £40 and saved £40, with the help of the 10% discount and a £5 bonus voucher I received yesterday, as being a member of Halfords 'motoring club' - I only have the free membership, by the way. which suits ne fine, Oh yes and I get an extra 6% by going via 'Top Cash Back' so that's another saving of £2.35 ... just under half the cost of John's brake fluid tester :cool:

So here we have it, this is what I bought, what they cost individually, what I paid, and the savings made:

Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Number
Font Rectangle Parallel Human leg Elbow

Smile Facial expression Happy Font Circle

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #651 ·
I got my wipers at full price about two weeks ago, I should have waited for another week.
Grrrrrr ... don't you just hate it when that happens? :rolleyes:

Keeping an eye on some trusty members threads, pays dividends - literally!

I have learnt so much and bought loads of things with many at bargain prices too ... wait a bit ... maybe not such a good idea after all, as if I hadn't read all these posts in the first place, I could have saved myself a small fortune
Smile Cartoon Emoticon Bird Art

• Haha
Reactions: XJ1983 and JimC64

·
Premium Member
17,834 Posts
I got my wipers at full price about two weeks ago, I should have waited for another week.
Its always a lottery with these things, same with tyres, oil, filters etc........we've all been there
Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, it all evens out, hopefully.

Grrrrrr ... don't you just hate it when that happens? :rolleyes:

Keeping an eye on some trusty members threads, pays dividends - literally!

I have learnt so much and bought loads of things with many at bargain prices too ... wait a bit ... maybe not such a good idea after all, as if I hadn't read all these posts in the first place, I could have saved myself a small fortune
View attachment 57334
Lol, you been dipping into those pockets again Gina??

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #653 ·
I got so excited about my little bargain, only went and forgot to get wipers for Bertha (Transit), so went back onto the website, put in her registration number, up popped suitable choices of wipers and I still managed to get a good price and free delivery, but I had to find something extra for about £3 to bump up the price to £20 to get it, as you do ... no 10% discount though, oh bother :rolleyes: ;)

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Screenshot

Rectangle Font Parallel Electric blue Brand

Handwriting Rectangle Font Electric blue Magenta

Ecoregion World Nature Natural environment Natural landscape

Reactions: JimC64

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #654 ·
I have purchased a few goodies for our girlies, which I have been thinking about for a long time with the AR6400 -D/P MAX and a matter of days with the fuel stabiliser. These products have been discussed in various threads which I shall provide a couple of links to, rather than go the full hog with in-depth explanations here.

As you know I have several bottles of Red-X petrol/diesel system cleaner to use up and a following some very comprehensive advice from Larry in Domgears post 'Oil Dilution' he recommends AR6900-D MAX additive, which is added with each tank full of diesel. To cut a long story short, this increases the cetane level of the fuel in the car, effectively 'turning' standard fuel to premium, if you get my drift and thus could be cost effective by not having to splash out for the more expensive fuel. Larry also mentions a number of other benefits this additive brings and I would encourage you to check out the post as I find it makes for very interesting reading: he joins the post on page 2 ... link below:

I have been mulling over getting the AR6400-D/P MAX, which intended as a one-off annual treatment, for vehicles that have been standing for several months or that need a 'boost' to get things working so to speak.

Being in no hurry, I thought I would wait for Nectar to offer a bonus and when they came up with 4 X on one item, I sent for the petrol version first...

Product Font Screenshot Rectangle Electronic device

Then a couple of days ago, Top Cash Back were offering 3% on Ebay purchases which was better than Nectar, so I went for it and ordered the 3 X AR6400-D Max for our Merc, Jag and Transit and the petrol stabiliser.
Only seems a few bob, but you would be surprised how quickly this mounts up over the year and I don't do a lot of shopping online - okay don't laugh - basically it's primarily Go Compare, Amazon, Ebay, sending flowers by mail order and the odd parcel every now and then.

'Look after the pence' my lovely mum would tell us, 'and the pounds will take care of themselves'. She was right you know, as all these diddy pennies here and there and a few big sums from car insurances etc., have left us with a few hundred waiting to be taken out in time for Christmas.

Font Communication Device Screenshot Automotive tire Liquid

Reactions: #steve and JimC64

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #655 ·
The one Larry recommends is the AR6900-D MAX used with each fill of the tank:

The petrol equivalent is AR6900-P MAX:

·
Premium Member
17,834 Posts
I have purchased a few goodies for our girlies, which I have been thinking about for a long time with the AR6400 -D/P MAX and a matter of days with the fuel stabiliser. These products have been discussed in various threads which I shall provide a couple of links to, rather than go the full hog with in-depth explanations here.

As you know I have several bottles of Red-X petrol/diesel system cleaner to use up and a following some very comprehensive advice from Larry in Domgears post 'Oil Dilution' he recommends AR6900-D MAX additive, which is added with each tank full of diesel. To cut a long story short, this increases the cetane level of the fuel in the car, effectively 'turning' standard fuel to premium, if you get my drift and thus could be cost effective by not having to splash out for the more expensive fuel. Larry also mentions a number of other benefits this additive brings and I would encourage you to check out the post as I find it makes for very interesting reading: he joins the post on page 2 ... link below:

I have been mulling over getting the AR6400-D/P MAX, which intended as a one-off annual treatment, for vehicles that have been standing for several months or that need a 'boost' to get things working so to speak.

Being in no hurry, I thought I would wait for Nectar to offer a bonus and when they came up with 4 X on one item, I sent for the petrol version first...

View attachment 57394

Then a couple of days ago, Top Cash Back were offering 3% on Ebay purchases which was better than Nectar, so I went for it and ordered the 3 X AR6400-D Max for our Merc, Jag and Transit and the petrol stabiliser.
Only seems a few bob, but you would be surprised how quickly this mounts up over the year and I don't do a lot of shopping online - okay don't laugh - basically it's primarily Go Compare, Amazon, Ebay, sending flowers by mail order and the odd parcel every now and then.

'Look after the pence' my lovely mum would tell us, 'and the pounds will take care of themselves'. She was right you know, as all these diddy pennies here and there and a few big sums from car insurances etc., have left us with a few hundred waiting to be taken out in time for Christmas.

View attachment 57395

Love your eye for a bargain Gina, got to be part Scots / Yorkshire in there somewhere lol

Old adages are the best and yes, look after the pennies and the pounds do look after themselves.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #657 ·
Love your eye for a bargain Gina, got to be part Scots / Yorkshire in there somewhere lol

Old adages are the best and yes, look after the pennies and the pounds do look after themselves.

Jim
Happy to be associated with either or both Jim ;)

Reactions: #steve and JimC64

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #658 ·
Font Screenshot Parallel Rectangle Brand

Font Material property Screenshot Parallel Rectangle

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #659 · (Edited)
Next up then is the fuel stabiliser, now you are probably thinking I'm daft here, and you wouldn't be far wrong, when I tell you that until very recently, I never knew that fuel goes off :oops:

More shocking to me after a bit of research, was finding out that when it comes to petrol, it starts to deteriorate after only about 3 months and diesel 6 months, which quite honestly, I found dumbfounding.

There is a saving grace though, you can add a fuel stabiliser to extend the 'life' of the fuel and greatly slow down its deterioration. Should you wish to find out more about this as well as information regarding fuel, storage etc., pop over to the post, "Jerry Cans: What are the UK regulations on fuel cans, filling and home storage?" and the bit on stabilisers starts at :

Below you will find a link to the same article I put up in that post and I bought the second stabiliser recommended i.e. STA-BIL, the reason being, I don't require system cleaners, given I am using other products to do this job.

Best Fuel Stabilizers (Review & Buying Guide) in 2022 | The Drive

This is what I bought for petrol engines and where I got it from, as I want it primarily for Dolores (Bentley) who doesn't go out much during the winter months and for our new generator - once I pluck up courage to fill it up and start using the darn thing:

Product Font Screenshot Multimedia Software

I found this one for diesel engines, but I haven't bought any and didn't go into any great shakes looking for the 'right' choice: just thought I would provide one as food for thought:

Recipe Font Screenshot Advertising Web page

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #660 ·
I've been having great fun with my new toys, finished repairing Bobby and his friend's bird table and made two trays to place on the top, all varnished so can be cleaned, so no more mouldy seed, nuts or bread for our birdies, no sireeee

I think they like it ...
Plant Flowerpot Houseplant Outdoor furniture Lamp
Wood Rectangle Plant Bird House

641 - 660 of 685 Posts