Jaguar Forum banner
661 - 680 of 685 Posts

·
Premium Member
Jaguar XJ X351 Portfolio 3.0 V6 D Caviar
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #661 ·
Next up are a couple of Christmas presents, I have finished one for Amy and halfway through the second which will be for Andy, her husband, it's amazing what you can do with a bit of imagination and some upcycling wood ,,, oowww errr ... get you mother!

It's not that I'm a cheapskate you understand, but I simply like to make things out of 'nothing' and I dislike wasting good wood.
Ask Anita, I don't throw anything away, talk about hoarder, but I always say, you never know when it might just come in handy, and it does! I drives her up the wall and round the bend I does, well, until she wants something made or fixing that is
Facial expression Smile Vertebrate Cartoon Mammal

So, the back is made from a wardrobe, the other wood is from now dismantled huge crate I had made for our 4 Bulldogs to travel in our Transit, so they didn't get squished by our 4 Gt Danes. The photo is of Amy and a stray cat that she has befriended as it came into her polytunnel and is now taken up residency, the Perspex was from my BIL, which was a remnant from his aviary and given to me when they moved house 5 years ago, the clock, washers, screws, dowels and pins are new. The two types of glue I used were Gorilla wood glue, Mod Podge, also clear outdoor varnish and Plasti-Kote clear acrylic spray and this is how it went with my first DIY clock ...

Product Wood Clock Watch Font

Smile Lighting Wood Clock Quartz clock

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #663 ·
I have just come across a website with oodles of interesting articles some of which I have put up links to as below and I have read many and from my understanding I have tried to extract and précis some of the bits you might find useful or interesting too …

In the main I have been looking at the old chestnut of fuel additives again, so straight away if you are tired of this one, the following is not for you.

I will kick off with probably the most important Q&A and that is ‘are they safe for the engine?’ to a lesser extent, 'should additives be added to a full or empty fuel tank?' with the short answers being ‘yes’, and ‘it doesn’t matter’ respectively.

However, to elaborate a little, best practice requires following the manufacturers guidelines/instructions, using products with proven ingredients and probably also using one from a commercially known manufacturer. When adding the additive to the tank, it is recommended to do so first, i.e., PRIOR to the fuel, which will then flush the additive into the tank and prevent it being trapped in the filler neck.

The author does suggest that if you don’t like putting the additive in the tank at the petrol station, you could always fill a Jerry can, part fill your tank, go home, put in the additive and then wash it down with the fuel from the Jerry can.
To me this all seems rather odd and I certainly wouldn’t condone this, all that faffing about, the added risk of filling the Jerry can at the garage and decanting it into the car at home and I'm sure I would feel more of a twit filling up the jerry can than I would tipping some additive into the fuel tank … … er what … really??? Nah, don’t do this one, that’s my advice.

All because you don’t want to put the additive into the tank at the garage … better advice would be to something more like just before you reach the petrol station, pull over where safe to do so, put your additive into the tank and then drive into garage to fill up your tank – not too difficult eh?

What I did like though, was that the fuel and additive mix almost instantly, which surprised me, and just driving will provide sufficient agitation to do the job.

Are Fuel Additives Safe? | Fuel Tech Experts - Lifting the Lid on Fuel & Oil Additive Market

Should Fuel Additives be Added to an Empty Tank? | Fuel Tech Experts - Lifting the Lid on Fuel & Oil Additive Market

• Helpful
Reactions: OBC John

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #664 ·
The next big question is of course, ‘do fuel additives work?’ and the realistic answer has to be yes, but everything depends on what you mean by ‘work’. In order to answer this, it's best to understand what the individual additive professes to achieve, what result you are after and managing your expectations as to the outcome from using the additive, so that the results are viewed in perspective.

The purpose of a fuel additive is to basically clean/lubricate/protect/preserve fuel/improve quality of combustion etc. If any of these factors are achieved, then it may have a knock-on effect of benefits such as, more power, better mpg, smoother idling experience and engine, quieter and less vibration, also lower emissions etc. Given this, if an additive does any of the above things, then it can be said to ‘work’, you simply need to know what an additive is capable of, why you are using it, what you hope to get out of it and try to manage those expectations into getting a reasonable/realistic/acceptable outcome.

The difference between standard and premium diesel at the pump is two additives, one a detergent usually DW-10 tested and the other a cetane booster Ethylhexyl Nitrate (2-EHN).

Both these are found in AR6900-D along with ester diesel fuel system lubricant, combustion catalyst, water handling, dispersant, demulsifier, stabiliser and anti-corrosion pack all of which are tested and proven functions, where ‘proven’ means it is guaranteed, safe to use, and no-harms tested. etc. Like I have said before, if you tend to buy premium fuel or would like to, buy standard fuel, use this additive you get the same benefits plus some others and you save on cost. The good news is that this product addresses the cat, turbo, DPF etc, so no need for lots of different products to clean and help the engine run efficiently.

The author acknowledges his roll is in the business of selling additives, in one of the articles I read, but also explains away pretty well his time and effort in helping others, isn’t always covered by the cost of his wages – my words not his.

At the time of writing (2009) polyether amine (PEA) was proven, recognised and approved to be the only chemical compound that could remove ‘fast’ from petrol engines, carbon deposits that were hard-baked on and PEA is in AR6400. A further article of 2 Sept 2022 indicates that the efficacy of polyether-amine is now a hot topic in the auto world.

So, where does the carbon go? Apparently by ‘dispersal’ i.e. once the PEA and other chemicals dissolves the carbon/deposits fragment by fragment and a lot of the dissolved carbon gets burned like fuel turning to energy.

I liked this bit, if you have a petrol car, they have shown a way to see for yourself if the additive is working, i.e. remove a spark plug and shine a light down the spark plug hole and note the black carbon coated top of the piston. Add the AR6400-P or AR6900-P and fill the tank with petrol.

Once the tank is half full, remove the spark plug and check the condition of the piston head again and then repeat again once the tank is just above the ‘red’ empty tank – the challenge being that there should be no black carbon deposits at all on the top of the piston head after the runoff of the full tank of fuel.

Do Fuel and Oil Additives Really Work? | Fuel Tech Experts - Lifting the Lid on Fuel & Oil Additive Market

Archoil AR6400 & AR6400-D - Fuel Tech Experts - Lifting the Lid on Fuel & Oil Additive Market

Injector Cleaners | Fuel Tech Experts - Lifting the Lid on Fuel & Oil Additive Market

• Helpful
Reactions: #steve and OBC John

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #666 ·
Big, BIG animal lovers, that's what mbd ;)

Started off with Otis the orangutang and grew from there, and here is a small selection of the ones we have in our garden, I won't mention inside the bungalow ...

Plant Vertebrate Green Nature Organism

Giesel our lady gorilla was a surprise gift for Anita, we had seen her in the shop window in town and thought she was gorgeous. One sunny summers day and I had been out on my mobility scooter, when I suddenly took it upon myself to pop into the shop and said that if they could get it on my scooter I would have her there and then. Try as they could, she was too big/awkward to fit on or tie on, oh bother I thought, but being the determined type, as you might know, I plonked her on the seat and walked along beside her. Got a few laughs I might add as Exmouth was very busy and I was stopped more than once so she could have her picture taken, needless to say I moved out of shot rather sharpish like. When I got out of the precinct, given I couldn't walk any further, I ended up sitting on her lap for the rest of the 1/2 mile ride up the main Exeter Road to get home ... on the pavement of course.

All ended well with a great surprise when I rang the bell and she was sat on my scooter outside the door with me hiding behind the wall ... what a hoot!

Anita was so pleased we called into the shop to see if they had a male gorilla to keep Giesel company, we always loved visiting the gorillas at Bristol Zoo and seeing Jock and his lady friends and new babies when they arrived, so that was the draw. Anyway, the gent got the catalogue out and there was this huge male silverback, ... at a price ... he said as we had bought a number of statures from him, he would give us a discount ... we said we would have to think on. The next thing was when I passed the shop again, the silverback was sitting proudly in the window, I shot home, told Anita, we came down in the van, price was right, and Jock came home with us.

One night we heard a terrible ruckus, dogs were barking, and we looked out but couldn't see anything, of course we naturally thought that someone had been in and pinched our Jock and Giesel, but nope, they were still there, In the morning we checked everything was where it should be and all seemed okay until we saw this ...

Primate Botany Temple Sculpture Organism

Little monkeys have been up to no good and looking as though butter wouldn't melt, hmmm, indeed, and what do you know, two new babies had arrived ... awwwwww :giggle:
Cartoon Happy Sharing Gesture Font

·
Registered
907 Posts
That was your 666th post!
To sustain growth and prevent extinction need at least 2.1 babies 😂 .
Nice surroundings

Reactions: Ruby351

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #668 ·
That was your 666th post!
To sustain growth and prevent extinction need at least 2.1 babies 😂 .
Nice surroundings
I never noticed and get another in quick then ... post not baby ;)

• Haha
Reactions: mbd424

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #670 ·

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #671 ·
Christmas has come early in our place; another new toy arrived this afternoon and big old smile on Ruby's face ... this is beginning to get a bit serious :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #672 · (Edited)
I also picked up a great tip whilst ordering spare sanding discs and belts, you experts in woodworking will of course know about them but with us DIYers, it's all a learning curve, so spreading the love the tip is rubber sticks or something like that.

These little beauties just cost a few quid and are used to clean the sanding paper/sheets/discs thereby extending their life and efficacy along with the need to replace less often, thus saving you loads 'a' dosh (y)

This is what I bought and to be fair the larger size will probably do, but you know me, why buy one when you can get two? No, really, I thought the larger would work for electric tools and the 'stick' one for homemade/bought sanding blocks and hand used bits of sanding sheets etc., so method in my madness ... really! :rolleyes:

Product Gesture Rectangle Font Screenshot

Here is the block in use and if you just want to see what it does and skip past some of the dialogue zip on to about 1:15 min:sec...

Reactions: JimC64

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #674 ·
I always use 3M sanding paper, double price as normal, but lasts 10 times longer
Not always the case, but sometimes it really is a case of 'you get what you pay for' ... nice one Henkjan (y)

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #675 ·
For the past few weeks, we have been hither and thither with various appointments getting things looked at, serviced, fixed or whatever like for covid jabs then flu, hearing aids, sorting the cars out, vets about our cats and dogs, docs about getting medication sorted, seeing the neurologist and a big ol' lump on me head looked at etc, etc. etc.

After 3 months yesterday was the day we actually made it out for a lovely little drive in Lizzy and a meal - oh wonder of wonders! I found a new to us pub on the net the previous night, while I was looking for the directions to one we had been to before, and what a find, I bet it gets heaving in the warmer weather, as it was doing pretty well when we turned up at about 1.45pm.
Everything organised the night before, got the journey mapped out and written down with final part sort of memorised to try to not muck things up - got to keep Anita calm - oh yes, as she gets very anxious going to new places
Nose Smile Head Eyebrow Eye

Alarm set ... I must get up early, I must, I must, I MUST ... and I DID!

Awake and up for 10.45am, okay, for those that know me, that IS very, very early, Vienna fed, tea taken into the fairy with a gentle reminder that it was time to get up sort of now, if we are to take her for a walk before we go out and then I crack on with a few necessary chores that need to be done.

Oh yes, some I have some extremely sad news to report, we had to say goodbye to our gorgeous Elizabeth Eliza (Great Dane) last Friday, she was just about 10 1/2 years old and a beauty, so we were indeed blessed to have had had her that long, how time changes things eh? From always having a home full of dogs, to now only having the one, hey-ho, happy memories to keep us going and make us smile looking back at all the good times.

Plant Dog Dog breed Flowerpot Carnivore

Righto, back to our first trip out since the 10th of August, weather looks a bit dodgy so it's the Jag and not the Bentley that'll taking us for a spin, both cans of AR6400 left on the table the night before with a pair of latex gloves, just in case. I had checked how the nozzle and lid comes off, so that I won't look a nincompoop when I get to the garage, should I need a sharp object to break a seal or what ever. No problemo, it's a plastic ring pull under the screw lid so that was going to be a doddle.

Anita's up, cuppa tea drunk, Cats sorted, Vienna walked, cover off Lizzy and CTek unplugged - waterproof box has about an inch of water in the bottom of it and amazingly it has NOT shorted out electric power wise but the charge has indicated fault - well there's a surprise :eek::eek::eek:

Don't panic Mr Mainwaring, stay calm, keep Anita calm or she will want to swop Lizzy for a 4X4 again, disconnect everything, and leave to sort when I get home later.

You know what I do next of course, absolutely right - hold my breath while Anita starts her up ... whoooosh ... there she goes, who's worried, no not me sir, she fired up first time, never doubted her for a second :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Off we toddle to the petrol station, and I now have the pleasurable task of explaining that I have bought an additive, why, what it does and we need to fill the tank and again why ... all in the space of about 5 minutes.
Abridged version completed, accepted and in fact on further, more detailed explanation as our journey continued, deemed as plausible nay sensible and a suggestion made to make a note of the date, so we know when to add the stuff next year View attachment 57867

Sometimes don't folks surprise you? Like when I said I had bought the additive for each of our 4 vehicles - all good :oops: and the cost was about £22 each, while Anita's guess was about £50 each so - all good :oops: you've gotta laugh :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The AR6400-D MAX was simplicity itself to add to the fuel tank: the funnel/nozzle comes off the can being help on by the plastic ring, you then unscrew the plastic lid, remove the 'ring pull' plastic seal, screw the nozzle on where the lid was and insert the open end in, to empty the fluid into the fuel tank. Once done, bin the canister and 'fill' with fuel, thus washing any additive remaining in the pipework, down into the tank. I Found the task all very easy, straight forward and not in the least bit embarrassing and it only took a few minutes, and given this was the first time I did it, the next time will be even quicker as I now know what I'm doing,

Well, I say I wasn't embarrassed which is true, but Anita was, at me taking all the photos ... a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do, for the sake of the forum and to help even just one member along the way if I can - right?
Cartoon Art Painting Happy Font
Art Output device Circle Happy Font
Toy Yellow Art Font Happy
Smile Gesture Art Happy Insect

Automotive tire Font Art Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,834 Posts
Lol story and a half there Gina, well told.

Glad that Lizzy got a wee outing, its been Delores I've been reading about lately, playing favourites? lol

Sorry to hear about your dog, they do become part of the family.

Sounds like a good day out all round

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #677 ·
Lol story and a half there Gina, well told.

Glad that Lizzy got a wee outing, its been Delores I've been reading about lately, playing favourites? lol

Sorry to hear about your dog, they do become part of the family.

Sounds like a good day out all round

Jim
Thanks Jim, and the other half is coming next, certainly felt like a treat and a great day out ;)

Big loss our Elizabeth, she was our 5th generation and second to last litter that we bred and you are so right about them becoming a part of the family.

Reactions: JimC64

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #678 · (Edited)
Now we set off making our way to The Coombe Cellars, Combeinteignhead, Newton Abbot, Devon, TQ12 4RT, it's 25 miles from our place, down the M5 which changes name to the A38 then take the left fork towards Torquay on the A380 and head towards Newton Abbot, taking a left at the first large roundabout where it is at the end of a narrow twisty road which is just about 2.5 miles long.

Ecoregion World Map Atlas Parallel

Cloud Sky Plant Hood Automotive lighting

Sky Cloud Car Plant Tire

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Grille

Grand views, huge car park, few piccies taken and who says the XJ is too big to fit into a space ... just about everyone that has one or who has been in one, that's who and looky here, see what I mean ...

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Car Tire Land vehicle Sky Wheel

Lovely place inside, spacious and more grand views with decor pleasing aesthetically, menu interesting and Anita goes for the rib-eye which is usually the case and mine was the slow cooked belly pork, scallops, smoked haddock Florentine bonbon, potatoes in a truffle flavoured sauce with if I remember correctly pureed carrot and suede and a side of mac & cheese, which we shared - both meals tasted as good as they looked.

Building Water Cloud Sky Table

Food Tableware Plate Dishware Ingredient

Sky Water Property Flower Cloud

As we left the pub, and carefully made our way back up the narrow road, both of us nearly had a second helping, when a black VW Golf/Polo came haring round the bend and at some kind of crazy speed - I kid you not - why? I have no idea, but if we had taken the corner just a smidgeon wider, we would have been toast, Like I always say, it's not necessarily how you drive, but you have to be prepared for the unexpected in how other's drive and this male or female in my opinion seemed to have some sort of death wish or the like and was happy to not be going for it alone.

Anyway, popped into Newton Abbot Asda, Anita had seen something on the telly she wanted to get me towards Chrissy from Vienna, and I had wanted to buy some Gorilla Glue and detergent that was suitable for washing microfiber cloths as a result of a series of posts on 'JimC64's XJ X351 ownership thread' (link as below)... more to follow on that a little later.

Nice little drive back, covered up our gal and one thoroughly enjoyable afternoon had by all.

Oh yes, I did say I was up very, very early for me didn't, I, well it must have taken its toll, as I fell asleep in my chair with my laptop open in front of me and woke up at 5.40am ... ooops! :oops::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #679 ·
I've been at it again, seriously think I have a problem, some sort of ology I guess or something or other aniac :oops: Sorted myself out another didy sander and then Black Friday, saturday sund..... well you get the gist came along, no stopping me now.

I bought these last week and they are very useful heavy duty spring clamps, all be it they are a bit manly for my weedy grip - even two handed, I particularly went for these with the suede leather on the ends, being 'dual' purpose e.g., to help hold on beading/edging etc.

If you already have spring clamps, I got a tip from a YT woodworking gent, that cut pieces of bicycle innertube and fitted this over the ends of some of his spring clamps, to do the same sort of job ... great idea I thought.

Wood Font Tool Metal Paint brush

I also got one of these last week, and what a little sweetie ...

Evolution 400w Electric Thin Belt Sander Power File 230v With Flat & Curved Surface Heads | Evolution Power Tools UK
Tool Handheld power drill Machine Engineering Composite material

Font Rectangle Screenshot Number Parallel

·
Registered
2017, Jaguar XJ
119 Posts
I've been at it again, seriously think I have a problem, some sort of ology I guess or something or other aniac :oops: Sorted myself out another didy sander and then Black Friday, saturday sund..... well you get the gist came along, no stopping me now.

I bought these last week and they are very useful heavy duty spring clamps, all be it they are a bit manly for my weedy grip - even two handed, I particularly went for these with the suede leather on the ends, being 'dual' purpose e.g., to help hold on beading/edging etc.

If you already have spring clamps, I got a tip from a YT woodworking gent, that cut pieces of bicycle innertube and fitted this over the ends of some of his spring clamps, to do the same sort of job ... great idea I thought.

View attachment 58318

I also got one of these last week, and what a little sweetie ...

Evolution 400w Electric Thin Belt Sander Power File 230v With Flat & Curved Surface Heads | Evolution Power Tools UK
View attachment 58317

View attachment 58316

Wow... You are on a roll :)

661 - 680 of 685 Posts