Jaguar Forum banner
681 - 685 of 685 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,834 Posts
Now we set off making our way to The Coombe Cellars, Combeinteignhead, Newton Abbot, Devon, TQ12 4RT, it's 25 miles from our place, down the M5 which changes name to the A38 then take the left fork towards Torquay on the A380 and head towards Newton Abbot, taking a left at the first large roundabout where it is at the end of a narrow twisty road which is just about 2.5 miles long.

View attachment 57909

View attachment 57910

View attachment 57912

View attachment 57913

Grand views, huge car park, few piccies taken and who says the XJ is too big to fit into a space ... just about everyone that has one or who has been in one, that's who and looky here, see what I mean ...

View attachment 57915

View attachment 57916

Lovely place inside, spacious and more grand views with decor pleasing aesthetically, menu interesting and Anita goes for the rib-eye which is usually the case and mine was the slow cooked belly pork, scallops, smoked haddock Florentine bonbon, potatoes in a truffle flavoured sauce with if I remember correctly pureed carrot and suede and a side of mac & cheese, which we shared - both meals tasted as good as they looked.

View attachment 57918

View attachment 57917

View attachment 57919

As we left the pub, and carefully made our way back up the narrow road, both of us nearly had a second helping, when a black VW Golf/Polo came haring round the bend and at some kind of crazy speed - I kid you not - why? I have no idea, but if we had taken the corner just a smidgeon wider, we would have been toast, Like I always say, it's not necessarily how you drive, but you have to be prepared for the unexpected in how other's drive and this male or female in my opinion seemed to have some sort of death wish or the like and was happy to not be going for it alone.

Anyway, popped into Newton Abbot Asda, Anita had seen something on the telly she wanted to get me towards Chrissy from Vienna, and I had wanted to buy some Gorilla Glue and detergent that was suitable for washing microfiber cloths as a result of a series of posts on 'JimC64's XJ X351 ownership thread' (link as below)... more to follow on that a little later.

Nice little drive back, covered up our gal and one thoroughly enjoyable afternoon had by all.

Oh yes, I did say I was up very, very early for me didn't, I, well it must have taken its toll, as I fell asleep in my chair with my laptop open in front of me and woke up at 5.40am ... ooops! :oops::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Wow, looks like a cracking day out Gina and I can almost taste that food, looks tasty!

As for your near miss. Yes, these days , you have to drive defensively as you never know the minute some twonk is going to come at you outta nowhere.

The car is looking on point as usual, but please don't blame me for the microfibre detergent, that wasn't me lol.

I've been at it again, seriously think I have a problem, some sort of ology I guess or something or other aniac :oops: Sorted myself out another didy sander and then Black Friday, saturday sund..... well you get the gist came along, no stopping me now.

I bought these last week and they are very useful heavy duty spring clamps, all be it they are a bit manly for my weedy grip - even two handed, I particularly went for these with the suede leather on the ends, being 'dual' purpose e.g., to help hold on beading/edging etc.

If you already have spring clamps, I got a tip from a YT woodworking gent, that cut pieces of bicycle innertube and fitted this over the ends of some of his spring clamps, to do the same sort of job ... great idea I thought.

View attachment 58318

I also got one of these last week, and what a little sweetie ...

Evolution 400w Electric Thin Belt Sander Power File 230v With Flat & Curved Surface Heads | Evolution Power Tools UK
View attachment 58317

View attachment 58316

More tools lol??

Jim

·
Premium Member
Jaguar XJ X351 Portfolio 3.0 V6 D Caviar
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #682 ·
Thanks Jim, now would I 'blame' you for anything as if???

'tis only pearls of wisdom come from your camp in my eyes and you know that ... still cogitating the microfibre bizz, busy, busy busy :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: JimC64

·
Premium Member
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #683 · (Edited)
Wow... You are on a roll :)
Sure am ;)

Suit trousers Sleeve Hat Gesture Collar

Roll up, roll up, for today's (now yesterday) Black Friday deal is 💥💥💥💥💥 wait a bit and I'll tell you :)

I have just sent for is this one, and yes it says a saving of 64% with a price drop from £70 to £25 all but a penny in each case, and I'm no fool, I realise that all may not be as it may seem, so looking further along the shelves on site, prices do indeed range from something like £30 to way over £80.

Anyway, I'm still smiling, the reviews with this and others seem pretty good, the running costs suit me and the deal is done - happy with that and happy with my little or big bargain, depending on how you want to look at it.

Much more importantly I think you know by now my workshop in actually my garage AND I am a very late riser which means that for me, by the time I come to, do the necessary chores it is early evening by the time I get in there to play, so you can guess that right now I am blooming freezing and trussed up like a chicken trying to retain heat do a little bit of woodworking and this just exacerbates the issues I have with my flipping feet and legs, which just ain't cricket, jimmy or not.

Hair Head Human body Sleeve Rectangle

Without further ado, here we have my little giftie to myself, to help keep me from freezing and maybe extend my time in the cool box

Font Microphone Screenshot Parallel Audio equipment

Reactions: XJ1983

·
Premium Member
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #684 · (Edited)
You may not be aware, but we have been breeding British Shorthair cats for many years now, and it has come to the time where both of us are not able to look after them as we always have done, for one reason and another, two biggest obstacles being age and health. so over the past few months we have made the very sad and profound decision to stop breeding our beloved kitties and have had our girls and boys spayed/neutered.

This being so, we can now mix the girls and boys together in their purpose-built chalet, which means we can take down the large acrylic sheets between their runs, to open up the space and given them more room to share and move around in, which also means that we have a bit of storage space at one end. Consequently, this means some things can be taken out of the garage and put in there, giving me a bit more room for my bit and bobs in the garage. All seems to be coming together to be better for our cats and for us too.

The trouble is the acrylic is quite thick, something like 8mm I think, and I had to use the electric reciprocating saw to cut through it as the shelves (kitchen worktops) and partitions I made, all linked together holding each other up, without needing to secure by screwing through and into the tiles/masonry. As you can well imagine, this was some kind of messy job, awkward to say the least, put the wind up our kitties and left some pretty jagged edges.

Next job was to get the angle grinder with flap sanding discs to smooth them down a bit, now would you believe it, but the inner angler grinder (AG) flange nut was missing - how I ask myself? I have had that AG for donkey's years and it has been brilliant, talk about miffed. So, you guessed it, back on ye olde laptop, looking for a reasonably priced AG and as I'm looking, I see one at only £25, 'you're having a giraffe' to quote TheBoy, and a good make too, couldn't believe it. Kept looking to see if there was anything else near to this price but nope, certainly not well known make anyway.

Not only did I find this bargain AG, but I also found that you could get spare inner and outer AG flanges ... uh-oh, now I'm in trouble, why buy a whole new machine when all I need are the new flanges? The thing is, I have already sort of promised myself a new one :eek::eek::eek:

After a long battle of pros and cons I eventually convinced myself to get both, that way I would potentially have the 2 AGs, one ready for aggressive mobile/flexible 'hand sanding' of wood etc. the other for metal. Oh yes and by the way, none of the replacement flanges have very good reviews, so I don't think I am all that hopeful, probably why I ended up getting them and the AG in the end.

Should have bought 2 AGs at that price, as then I could put a masonry disc on ... still might, but how to hide it from Anita is the biggest problem I would face :oops::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Here we go, this is what I got in the end, and there does seem to be a bit of a hoo-ha about the switch in a few reviews, but in my opinion, it is not difficult, it's simply an added safety measure which is good, you just slide the button on the switch to the right then push the switch forward - how hard is that?

Automotive tire Bicycle part Font Vehicle brake Auto part

I bought these at the same time, plenty of purchasers and good reviews, great price and value given there are 10 in the bundle, but if you consider them too, be aware they are THIN, so don't expect heavy duty work or to be throwing them around if you get my gist ;)

One thing I found interesting from a Q&A and others have said similar is this:
"Are these cutting discs ok for 3mm thick aluminium bar? it says 'stainless' on them and i'd like to check that softer metal (aluminium) is ok.
Answer:
1) These discs are fantastic on steel and stainless steel, however aluminium is a difficult material to cut with discs like this as via their ‘grinding’ type of action the ‘soft’ aluminium quickly clogs up the disc (you get the same result when you try to file aluminium with the aluminium shavings clogging the file).
In short you will be able to cut Aluminium with these discs but will end up virtually burning through it and will find it difficult to keep to a marked line.

2) Do not attempt this! Aluminium sticks to the diak and, on the next rotation, the clog causes impact stress to the disk which will make it shatter. Huge potential for bodily injury. For 3mm thick Ally bar I recommend five seconds with a hacksaw, or a jigsaw if you've got hundreds of cuts to make."

Font Dvd Technology Data storage device Blank media

·
Premium Member
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #685 ·
Street light Sword Pole Metal Light fixture
Font Electric blue Magenta Brand Number

Little catch-up regarding the patio heater, it arrived yesterday, and I put it together today which was very easy as you might imagine. One tip though, remove the 4 screws in the base and replace them to secure the square plate on the end of the first section of the pole.

I was in the garage from 6.45 - 8.10 this evening, heater was on one bar as that was all that was needed, and I was warm as toast. I can't say it was freezing outside but inside the garage was very cold to begin with and I do wrap up well, nevertheless, I ended up taking my hat off and was almost sweating, the litmus test for me is if my nose gets cold and nope - not happening ... really chuffed with it, (y):giggle:

Reactions: XJ1983 and #steve
681 - 685 of 685 Posts