Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 2.0d X-Type, and at some point today, probably half way up the M1, the big plastic cover/shield/tray (I don't know its proper name) became detached on one side, and was dragging along the ground as I discovered when I left the motorway.

Anyway, having established that only two screws were now holding it on, I removed it and drove the remaining 1.5 miles home, and then discovered that in fact the other screws and clips were missing. Don't know how/why, can only assume that when I had an oil change a couple of weeks ago they were less than careful putting it back on, or broke the clips maybe.

My question is, will it matter driving the car until I can get some replacement clips/screws and so get the cover back on? Is the cover for noise-reduction only, or does it have a more essential purpose like protecting the CAT etc? Also, does anyone know if the clips I'll need are jag-specific, or will any garage be able to whip it back on for me in 5mins on the way home from work, kinda thing?

Any help/advice appreciated, don't want to be driving around if there's a risk of damage by not having this cover present.

Many thanks,

Phil

·
Registered
377 Posts
Our Skoda Superb didn't have one fitted in the 18 mths we have owned it.

More risk of road debris, grit etc getting into the engine ancillaries, but apart from a bit more engine noise I don think it makes a massive difference

Picking up our first Jaguar, an 08 reg X Type, this coming Thursday!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Took mine 2.0D out for a quick drive today to test some work I'd just done. Much more noisy! But no, not essential.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hope you enjoy the X-Type Webby. This one's my first, have had it since last August and am LOVING it. Peteski, thanks for the reassurance!

·
Registered
17,905 Posts
Never had the engine undertay on mine since its oil change 2 yrs ago.Will show any leaks on the drive sooner rather than collecting in the underside of the tray should it ever spring a leak

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.