Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always taken these mesages as a personal "not to be discussed" type of communication. Am I wrong thinking this?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Depends on the forum, some would ban the member disclosing it publicly

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I've always taken these mesages as a personal "not to be discussed" type of communication. Am I wrong thinking this?
You are right. In polite circles, a PM is private and many forums will ban someone for disclosing/discussing PM content.

Otherwise why bother sending a PM, just post it on the thread.

Tony

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
You are right. In polite circles, a PM is private and many forums will ban someone for disclosing/discussing PM content.

Otherwise why bother sending a PM, just post it on the thread.

Tony
P.S

The guilty party is part of a minority so go careful with him. We need opposing views. Probably just a temporary bit of insanity. We all get it.

Not sure what went wrong there as this should have been on the previous post

·
Registered
91 Posts
I tend to follow the maxim - as soon as I put it on the internet, it's in the public domain. Even the best forums can (and indeed many have) been hacked. Disgruntled community members can take backups of the forum database and gain access to all of the contents, and that's before the person who you think will respect your privacy may have an agenda or not think it's as important as you do.

When I was younger I was heavily involved with online gaming communities and there were a number of very distressing forum dumps and hacks where people had quite personal information disclosed. I didn't get caught up in the aftermath but it taught me to be very careful about what I say and generally reinforced my opinion that anything that I will write in private I should be prepared to write in public or even say in the pub to the person concerned. I work in IT and around once a year I'm in a position where I'm discussing with a client why they shouldn't be putting some things into an email or why it's not a good idea to use a work device for very personal or intimate use.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I tend to follow the maxim - as soon as I put it on the internet, it's in the public domain. .
Your missing the point here. It's not about what is public domain or not it's about discussing PMs which by their very title are "Private Messages"

Yes they can be accessed through various means, we all know that but this is about discussing with other members in the open what was sent to you in private. Why have PMs if there is no respect for privacy? It's called common decency.

Tony

·
Premium Member
17,880 Posts
I agree with pm's Tony, but that said.....

You must always remember that you're dealing with people and just as you do in "real life" there are some that are what they say they are , and some are not, some are trustworthy stand up guys, some are not.

Some show their hand pretty quickly, some don't......

It's up to you to decide who is who

Best
Jim

·
Registered
91 Posts
Your missing the point here. It's not about what is public domain or not it's about discussing PMs which by their very title are "Private Messages"

Yes they can be accessed through various means, we all know that but this is about discussing with other members in the open what was sent to you in private. Why have PMs if there is no respect for privacy? It's called common decency.

Tony
Hi Tony

I don't think I was missing the point. I was merely pointing out that expectation to privacy on the internet (whilst wholly understandable) will usually be down to systems or persons who outside of your control

I was debating with myself whilst writing the post whether to put something in about what I feel about the subject. JimC has probably phrased it better than I would have below. People let you down at times. I'd personally expect it to be private and I'd be frustrated and disappointed if something sent as part of a private conversation were released publicly, especially if this were in a disagreement or as some point scoring exercise.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Lost its original question was on "I've always taken these mesages as a personal "not to be discussed" type of communication. Am I wrong thinking this?"

In this case he is right. We are not saying that no one will blab out what was said, just that these messages are personal and should not be discussed, not cannot.

I agree with Lost It (the one time in a thousand that I do) and the guilty party knows who he is.

Tony

·
Registered
164 Posts
A PM should be private and remain so. What's the point of sending someone a Private/Personal Message if the contents are then broadcast to a wider audience? Unfortunately, other people's respect for confidentiality and what it means, is entirely unpredictable when you don't really know them.

How many times have you been embarrassed by someone repeating something that you had understood would remain confidential between the two of you.:roll:

Marco

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
I would hazard a wild guess that the member involved confuses 'your' with 'you're'....

:confused:

·
Banned
7,619 Posts
I think your right Tony they should be Personal and not for the consumption of others to post Likes or indeed Dislikes against .
I recently issued an Apology to a Member , I had no trouble doing this as I hadn't purposely set out to upset him and in any
case he is a Member whom I think a great deal of . The Member kindly accepted my Apology and Publicly thanked me for it
as well as quoting the Post above it which I presume he was most offended by , although I personally think there was slightly
more to it than that one post , I accept nonetheless this was what offended the Member and move on with Good Grace .
I think there are two distinct Scenarios at play here , one concerning Personal Messages and one Concerning Apologies ,
the Personal Message I believe should never be disclosed , the Apology I think is up to the Parties involved , clearly if the
Member is offended Publicly then why shouldn't he be Apologised to Publicly ?

·
Banned
7,619 Posts
I would hazard a wild guess that the member involved confuses 'your' with 'you're'....

:confused:
Do you mean me ? or is that I ? There are Members on this Forum with failing sight , dyslexia and varying standards of Education ,
some perhaps run Spellcheckers and such like where what they originally write is corrupted , I don't suppose you have given these
Scenarios much consideration before you embarked on your Better English Crusade ?

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
I think your right Tony they should be Personal and not for the consumption of others to post Likes or indeed Dislikes against .
I recently issued an Apology to a Member , I had no trouble doing this as I hadn't purposely set out to upset him and in any
case he is a Member whom I think a great deal of . The Member kindly accepted my Apology and Publicly thanked me for it
as well as quoting the Post above it which I presume he was most offended by , although I personally think there was slightly
more to it than that one post , I accept nonetheless this was what offended the Member and move on with Good Grace .
I think there are two distinct Scenarios at play here , one concerning Personal Messages and one Concerning Apologies ,
the Personal Message I believe should never be disclosed , the Apology I think is up to the Parties involved , clearly if the
Member is offended Publicly then why shouldn't he be Apologised to Publicly ?
Thank you for that, red, I'm truly proud of you.

For PMs in general yes they are Private and should not ordinarily be published on the forum they were sent.

I will only consider one exception, which is that a particularly venomous one should be exposed, with the writer.

Would you chaps agree?

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
Do you mean me ? or is that I ? There are Members on this Forum with failing sight , dyslexia and varying standards of Education ,
some perhaps run Spellcheckers and such like where what they originally write is corrupted , I don't suppose you have given these
Scenarios much consideration before you embarked on your Better English Crusade ?
My mobile screws up words with its predictive Americanised garbles and I have to repeat-edit for that as well as to clean my thoughts up for each long thread.

Then sometimes the post reply token times out and if I didn't copy the whole post it's lost when I submit it, and I have to rewrite it.

See how much I care about entertaining you chaps on a daily basis?! ;):)

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
I will only consider one exception, which is that a particularly venomous one should be exposed, with the writer.
Agree Jim if someone is being offensive via PM you should report it to Admin and let them deal with it as PMs can be turned off or if the message was vile enough receive a ban

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a laptop that occasionally doesn't pick up the signal from the space bar. So I regularly go back in to re-write wot eye rote.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.