Poco's Car Care & Detailing

Poco

Reaction score
I've been showing older American cars for the last 35 years or so. The last show car I restored was a real bottom feeder type car that I felt could be a car that I could prove that it didn't have to be a Z28, G.T.O, or some popular muscle car. I chose a 1967 Rambler Rebel 550 with a 290c.i. 2v, and 3 speed on the column shifter. I spent 3 months blocking and sanding and more blocking. My painter decided to paint it black(2003) but the clear coat he cut and polished with a 3000 grit sand paper...new at the time. What I had a hard time with was I couldn't find a polish that was equivalent to the sand paper he used to cut the clear coat with. I ended up using Meguiars Tech Wax 2 and applied like a polish on a 12"x12" area, wipe until the liquid becomes transparent then remove it immediately, overlap and continue. I now use Black Pearl #4 Polish and have found the results are really good.
I believe German and English cars like Mercedes, Jaguar, Audi, and BMW have the very best paint jobs that are coming out of Europe. I wish U.S. manufactures would follow suit and provide that same quality but that will never happen.

Attachments

• DSCN1161.JPG
    DSCN1161.JPG
    308.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Rebel Three.jpg
    Rebel Three.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Ruby351

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
Poco, that is a stunning car!

Could I suggest you copy this and paste this information it into a new post to start off one of your own, as this post is very old and dare I say 'discontinued' and yours is on fire, flaming red hot and bang up to date - so let everyone else get a snifter - I feel lots would be very interested in what you have done and have to say. (y)

Poco

Reaction score
I wish I knew how to copy that Rubi. Here is my wifes Mercedes CLK 430 1999... Soon, I'll start doing paint corrections on my XK8 after the holidays. I'll post my step by step process.

Attachments

• DSCN1160.JPG
    DSCN1160.JPG
    450.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Ruby351

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
Hi Poco, lovely car your wife has there. Funny enough I had a CLK 230 Kompressor, lovely car and I bet hers goes like the clappers, well I must say I thoroughly enjoyed having my girl. ;)

28 DEC 08 (2).JPG

Looking forward to seeing how you go with your work on your XK8, but rest up first over the Christmas/new year time and make the most of the break to enjoy yourself and family, but do stay safe doing so, won't you?

I took on board what you said about not being able to copy the information you wrote, so rather than sending the information to you, I have scribbled some pointers together with some pictures and will get them put into a post on how to go about it. You will find it in General Chat under the heading:

PC BEGINNERS TIP 5: COPY & PASTE

As with all these things it looks confusing at first, but honestly, have a go and you will find it is really very easy to do and can end up saving you oodles of time. The info you have here is really good and would be great in a new post of your own like I said.

If your not sure how to start a new post let me know and I'll help you out with pleasure.