Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to pick up some 3 metre piping today so needed to fold down one of the rear seats. Opened the boot, pulled the yellow knob, opened the rear door to pull the seat back down....therein lies the problem. You have to hold the yellow knob out whilst pulling the seat back down and unless you have arms 6 ft long that's impossible.

Or am I missing something???

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I tend to find, once you pull the handle, whilst the seat doesn’t fall forward, it is unlatched. But yes, I tend to reach foremast and push the seat back forward.

·
Registered
453 Posts
My car was like that when I went to look at it at the garage that sold it to me. They said they would fit a new catch. I don't know if they did or not but they mended it anyway. The seats don't spring forward much when the catch is pulled and can easily be pushed back again accidentally as I try to pull them down.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
My car, not a Jag, has the latch release handles accessible from inside the car. Convenient but not as secure as the Jaguar method because, obviously, you can't have a valet mode that leaves boot and glove box inaccessible. I've only ever stayed in a couple of hotels with valet parking and on neither occasion did I have a car, so I'll happily forego the valet mode in exchange for convenience.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I noticed that on my XF as well. I’m sure I read a thread where you can fit a spring to the catch which throws the seat clear of the catch.
The Volvo V90 I’m currently driving has a far superior system where you have two well designed and accessible switches when activated each side of the seats springs forward all the way.
I have to say the entire boot area on the Volvo is way ahead of Jaguar which looks more like a regular eurobox rather the supposed quality car Jaguar allude to.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Its normal. I keep an umbrella in the boot to push them fwd while i pull the catch

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Yep, same on both my XFS and XFR, the RHS (bigger part) would fall forward when I pulled the catch but the LHS (smaller part) just sat there going nowhere unless I gave it a shove with something while pulling on the release handle (I had a piece of timber handy in the garage). I'm fairly sure that is normal operation, exactly why is anyone's guess, I can't comprehend why it would have been deliberately designed that way so I suspect it is a design fault.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Went to pick up some 3 metre piping today so needed to fold down one of the rear seats. Opened the boot, pulled the yellow knob, opened the rear door to pull the seat back down....therein lies the problem. You have to hold the yellow knob out whilst pulling the seat back down and unless you have arms 6 ft long that's impossible.

Or am I missing something???
Must be a case of "all cars are different" I have the Sportbrake and use the catch a lot in my car. I always make sure the seatbelt is out of the way first but then I open the boot, pull the black lever, in my case, and the seats drop down flat. It may be the case that it is because I use this procedure a lot that they, perhaps, work better.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I agree it's a poor design and have wondered about adding something to move the seat forward enough so it cannot relatch inadvertently. I find that being careful with the catch helps - pull it out then let it go back gently usually stops the seat latching again.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Sorry but I don't think it is poor design. It is however poor implementation of the design. The problem is that the seats are upholstered and the natural resistance of the upholstery pushes the seatbacks into their normal position. All that is required is for the squab to be seated slightly lower so that the squab isn't pressing against the back resisting the back from falling forwards.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I think its the sides of the rear back rest rubbing against each other which prevents them unlatching cleanly. I think it could be solved by putting a bit of sponge between the seat and bulkhead to push the seat fwd when the knob is pulled.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Apologies I am unable to upload a photo, although it is only 107Kb it tells me that I have exceeded my quota, whatever that means. Phil

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Ok, managed to upload eventually as promised, sometimes you don't need to undo the bracket the spring will just slip behind, if one's not enough slip another behind it. Phil

View attachment 25277

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.