Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
2016 Autobiography
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m sure this has been covered, but I was wondering what rams to change to, so that when hitting the boot release on the key, the boot on my X350 opens fully instead of the few mil it does now.

· Registered
577 Posts
I could be wrong but I don't know if anyone has actually achieved this. I think with the design geometry determined by the position of the existing gas strut, the mechanical leverage required would not be achieved easily without a much larger diameter of gas strut or the strut placed in a different position. In its near-horizontal starting position it's a wonder it moves at all. When I fitted new (but non-Jaguar) struts a couple of years ago there was an improvement to initial opening but only by about a centimeter. Once it gets to about one third open it really takes off, which is of course the other end of the problem: with really strong struts would you be able to pull it down far enough to close it from fully open as this can already be a stretch to reach at times?

· Registered
2,042 Posts
I have spent a bit of time looking at this with a view to it fully opening,
doing anything with the existing gas strut arrangement looks to be sadly out of the question.
When the catch releases electrically , there is a small sprung pin that opens it a little,
i considored a spring return pneumatic cylinder in its place to push it a bit further and faster.
The cylinder would operate via a valve / regulator fed from the suspension air receiver.
One of many jobs on my to do list , not an urgent one though ..... :)

· Premium Member
2016 Autobiography
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The spring in the lock makes sense for the small movement you get, and I agree to put bigger struts would bring on its own problems.
I guess without some serious mod it’s not viable to do which is a pity but one I can live with.
I was hoping it may have been a simple thing to achieve but without the spring loaded rods like the earlier ones to re-tension and out of sight I can put my mind at rest now about trying it.
Cheers guys.

· Registered
640 Posts
Why not just add a small spring to the gas strut? most eye ends screw off, slide a small spring on, refit the eye end and try.

· Registered
984 Posts
I wonder whether it’s possible to retro fit some electric boot struts as used on lots of new cars to give fully motorised opening and closing....

· Registered
2,042 Posts
I wonder whether it's possible to retro fit some electric boot struts as used on lots of new cars to give fully motorised opening and closing....
I spent a bit of time pondering over linear actuators to do this , they are readily available.
They come with built in limit switches at the end of travel so can be utilised very easily.
Getting them to operate and hand shake with the existing locking mechanism isn't too difficult either.

My biggest concern and what stopped me doing this was access into the boot in the event of problems ......
If the back seats went down it wouldn't be a problem , but they don't and that would make it difficult !

Having looked in to the boot mechanism , I see a way in without to much damage and easily fixable,
With two screw jacks holding the boot shut and no other way in , access in the event of failure would be tough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.