Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening, currently running an X100 XKR convertible, but now need something more practical for 2000 miles a month on motorways. So, looking at the XE, 2.0 diesel auto, up-to £15k

What's confusing me is not so much the trim levels, but the load of options that some have - as standard or extras? And do some things actually exist?

Questions

Do any have blind spot warning in the wing mirrors? If so, what do Jag call it?
Do any have cross traffic alert in the rear sensors / camera? Again, if so, what's it called
Do any work with android auto? Can you mirror an android phone onto the display?
Electric tailgate - are some electric release, others power operated? If power operated, do they work handsfree? eg keys near rear quarter, wave foot underneath?
Do any have adaptive cruise control, where it keeps the same distance from the car in front, automatically slows and accelerates? (My XKR does, so I'm assuming a 12 year old younger car would?) Again, if so, what's it called?
Electric seats - are they all heated? Some are fully electric adjust, others a mix? I'm assuming the 10 way are the fully - is it an option or trim level specific?
Real life MPG - figures claim 50-80, yet both that I've seen so far are showing about the 38 mark - dunno when they were reset, but if it was on mileage the last one was 4000 miles ago, so I'm not impressed - unless that is all you get (along with a blocked dpf) if just wandering around town? But if so, how come there's 96k on the clock in 6 years?

Edit - LED headlights - trim level option or not available?

So many questions - if anyone is bored this evening and fancies answering a few, I'll check back later before going hunting again tomorrow 😁

Cheers

· Registered
8,161 Posts
Are you familiar with the issues some owners have had with pre 2019 ingenium diesels?
With any modern car, consider changing the oil ahead of schedule. Car companies have stretched the intervals to the max and in some cases too far for imperfect usage patterns.

Automatic cruise control will be an option I think.
Same with blind spot assist, which might be standard on higher models or with a pack.

Cross traffic alert might also be known as ‘Rear traffic monitor’.

· Registered
205 Posts
With a couple of exceptions, I think pretty much all the features you have listed were/are options that the buyer had to specifiy - and pay for - at the time the car was ordered.
The exceptions are: LED headlights and android auto - became availableon the XE only from MY 2020.
If you can get the VIN for an XE you have your eye on, you should be able to get the build sheet from JLR customer services - or the selling dealer maybe can get it for you.
I wouldn't expect a selling dealer (even a JLR dealership) to be fully clued up on the full list of options fitted to any vehicle they have for sale, so the only other way to be sure about the options fitted would be to sit in the car and test everything out - if you can concentrate on this while the salesman is sitting next to you telling you how wonderful the car is!
Given the issues some people have had with pre-2019 diesel Ingenium engines, I would also seriously consider the petrol version.

· Registered
2017 XE 180D
4 Posts
I agree with what Chrisjp says. I think you need to decide on needs and wants as there are so many variations. Popular on the forums is fold down rear seats. These were an option on earlier models. You might want to look out for an XE with the In control touch pro screen (No physical buttons and bigger screen) This is easier to update and map updates are available. (at a cost) I went for a heated screen on mine as I came from a Ford and won't have a car without one now!
Good luck in your search!

· Registered
584 Posts
You need to check any car you look at to confirm what it has - as mentioned they were optional extra's from new so many cars will have different sub-sets of your list and not so many have them all. Don't rely on garage adverts as they use a 'could have' list and not a specific list for the particular car they are selling. In your price range you are looking pre 2019 face lift models so .....................
1. Blind spot mirrors optional
2. Not seen this on an XE - only normal sensors
3. 10" screens either have or can be updated for Android and Apple Carplay (as far as I know its wired connection to your phone only - unless you add additional hardware) - 8" screens need extra hardware.
4. Electric tail gate is push button under lid and it opens/push button inside lid to close. There was an option for hand gesture but never seen one. Optional extra.
5. Adaptive cruise control is obvious by a rectangular plate on the front grill which protects the radar - if no plate then will have standard cruise control. Optional extra.
6. Full electric seats optional extra
7. No idea on actual MPG for a diesel as I drive a petrol model
8. also check things like folding mirrors, folding rear seats, heated windscreen, heated steering wheel, memory seats if any are important to you. Things like sunroof and HUD will be obvious.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys - seen 4 R Sports today and they were so different that I can't believe they were the same trim level tbh!

Needs - and I didn't see one today - is adaptive cruise control - going to see an XF on Sunday which has described as cruise control and Collision Warning System so might have it? - Where is the panel mounted on these as most dealers have nose-on shots, so as mentioned should be easy to spot. Also need is diesel auto - mainly because of claimed mpg. Currently run an XKR (22mpg) and VW T5 (35 mpg) but job role has changed and will be doing south Wales to the Midlands weekly for the next few months at least, so need something a lot more economical

Wants are, in some sort of order, sun roof, blind spot assist, rear cameras, folding rear seats, electric boot, smart phone interface but this could be done by up-grading head unit?

Oh, also didn't realise there's two styles of dashboard as well - physical and electronic gauge pods

I sold my 2019 Hyundai Tucson recently and prior to that had an Optima SW - the amount of "toys" on those top-of-range cars makes the XE look like something from the 90's unfortunately. Pity their mpg was shite ;)

· Registered
2017 XE 180D
4 Posts
Thanks guys - seen 4 R Sports today and they were so different that I can't believe they were the same trim level tbh!

Needs - and I didn't see one today - is adaptive cruise control - going to see an XF on Sunday which has described as cruise control and Collision Warning System so might have it? - Where is the panel mounted on these as most dealers have nose-on shots, so as mentioned should be easy to spot. Also need is diesel auto - mainly because of claimed mpg. Currently run an XKR (22mpg) and VW T5 (35 mpg) but job role has changed and will be doing south Wales to the Midlands weekly for the next few months at least, so need something a lot more economical

Wants are, in some sort of order, sun roof, blind spot assist, rear cameras, folding rear seats, electric boot, smart phone interface but this could be done by up-grading head unit?

Oh, also didn't realise there's two styles of dashboard as well - physical and electronic gauge pods

I sold my 2019 Hyundai Tucson recently and prior to that had an Optima SW - the amount of "toys" on those top-of-range cars makes the XE look like something from the 90's unfortunately. Pity their mpg was shite ;)
I have a 180D automatic and have found it really economical. I do 26 miles each way to work and back and have managed to get just over 73 mpg once. Normally though it's around about 58 - 64 mpg. Which is actually better than my previous car which was a 1.6D 6 speed manual. All figures are from the fuel computer, I have never bothered to do a pump to pump calculation.

· Registered
584 Posts

Hood Grille Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Vehicle Car Plant Steering wheel Gear shift

You can easily see the radar protector plate around the grill badge on the original models - there will also be extra buttons on right of steering wheel where you can choose between 3 different distances before braking starts. Most cars don’t seem to have ACC so you do need to hunt around.
Collision warning system is probably AEB (automatic emergency braking) which uses screen camera to warn you/start braking if any objects ahead.
R-Sport just signifies its the 'sportier' version with different body kit and stiffer suspension for a 'sportier' ride. The Portfolio has the softer suspension for those that prefer this and the Prestige was somewhere in between. The Portfolio had 'Meridian' audio as standard and different leather trim. (There was also a basic SE model which had cloth seats). Later models the range changed names. As previously stated the cars were sold in base form and the original buyer kitted them out with the options they wanted/could afford - thats why there are so many variations around.

Reactions: PetA and Rod9669

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, put a deposit down on one that ticks all the boxes

It has had an oil leak from the crankshaft seal repaired, but is leaking again. The timing chains have all been replaced at the same time. Is it a bad fitment of the seal, and needs another new one, or something worse do you think? Read somewhere about a plug with an o-ring seal in the same area which dries out?

Couple of other questions - it's a 2015, but I prefer the layout of the 2016 models onwards. Is this a software update that can be done, or is it a physical swap, and is this possible?

Secondly - it has the InControl software, do I use this or android auto?

Cheers

· Premium Member
2007 X350 Sovereign 2.7 diesel
6,701 Posts

It has had an oil leak from the crankshaft seal repaired, but is leaking again. The timing chains have all been replaced at the same time. Is it a bad fitment of the seal, and needs another new one, or something worse do you think? Read somewhere about a plug with an o-ring seal in the same area which dries out?

Couple of other questions - it's a 2015, but I prefer the layout of the 2016 models onwards. Is this a software update that can be done, or is it a physical swap, and is this possible?

Cheers
Not sure of which boxes you wanted ticking but unless it's a private sale and a really good price I'd want the oil leak repaired before I bought it. If you're buying from a dealer then I'd question why they haven't fixed the leak before selling it regardless of the price. Sure someone who knows better than me can answer the layout question but why not just buy a 2016 onwards model?

Reactions: PetA and Rod9669

· Registered
584 Posts

Cheers
I would suggest a bad fit when the chains were replaced so needs a new seal.
What layout are you refering too ?
InControlTouch is the standard 8” Jaguar system - it won’t have Android Auto unless a previous owner has added it? (requires third party hardware to be fitted behind the head unit - seems to be about £600 fitted) Some people buy the Chinese 10” replacement screen which gives Android Auto. You cannot fit the later Jaguar Incontrol Touch Pro 10” display.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not sure of which boxes you wanted ticking but unless it's a private sale and a really good price I'd want the oil leak repaired before I bought it. If you're buying from a dealer then I'd question why they haven't fixed the leak before selling it regardless of the price. Sure someone who knows better than me can answer the layout question but why not just buy a 2016 onwards model?
The dealer is getting it fixed - with the condition that if it leaks again within 3 months I get my cash back - they hadn't noticed it had started leaking again until we had it up on the ramp

WRT the post 2016 - if I could find one with adaptive cruise control, sunroof, blind spot assist then I would - rarer than rocking horse shit these things. This one is a bit older, and therefore cheaper, than I wanted (£10k for a 15 plate, 104k miles)

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would suggest a bad fit when the chains were replaced so needs a new seal.
What layout are you refering too ?
InControlTouch is the standard 8” Jaguar system - it won’t have Android Auto unless a previous owner has added it? (requires third party hardware to be fitted behind the head unit - seems to be about £600 fitted) Some people buy the Chinese 10” replacement screen which gives Android Auto. You cannot fit the later Jaguar Incontrol Touch Pro 10” display.
Layout of the centre gauges in the dash - I like the two half curves etc

The young kid in the dealers mentioned the chinese ones - will they still show things like reversing camera, park assist, heated seats etc? or will I lose the standard Jaguar items?

· Registered
584 Posts
Layout of the centre gauges in the dash - I like the two half curves etc

The young kid in the dealers mentioned the chinese ones - will they still show things like reversing camera, park assist, heated seats etc? or will I lose the standard Jaguar items?
Ah ok - then ‘No‘ you cannot change it. The only options to change would be to have a digital display fitted - there is a company lr-retrofits.co.uk who fit them at £1000 last time i looked.

No personal experience of the chinese screens but as far as i have seen you do not lose anything. Look at aliexpress website.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ah ok - then ‘No‘ you cannot change it. The only options to change would be to have a digital display fitted - there is a company lr-retrofits.co.uk who fit them at £1000 last time i looked.

No personal experience of the chinese screens but as far as i have seen you do not lose anything. Look at aliexpress website.
Cheers - been looking on ebay and there's a box that fits into the AUX line that gives wireless android and keeps the original stuff as well - looks a nice easy option, about 250-300 quid

· Registered
52 Posts
Double check before purchasing because most of those boxes will only work if the car had the wired AA option originally.

Reactions: Rod9669

· Registered
584 Posts
Cheers - been looking on ebay and there's a box that fits into the AUX line that gives wireless android and keeps the original stuff as well - looks a nice easy option, about 250-300 quid
I agree with RalphieM - these tend to be an add on to an existing 'wired' version ..... so you need to get Android Auto wired first and then add on the wireless AUX hardware.
Be interesting if you have found something that works differently.

Have a look at this guy - https://www.facebook.com/groups/416341563108218/user/100063655476081/
He does wireless Android installed at £650
He travels around the country based on demand.

Reactions: Rod9669

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This was one of them

This guy seems to be bringing them in from somewhere like AliExpress, sounds like he knows what he's doing?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts