Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 2L diesel just gone over 100k. This has just started, at full lock the steering wheel jumps a little and there is a knock from under the bonnet - my guess is its the pump relief valve operating. It's worse when cold and also some times when turning the wheel when manoeuvring the wheel jumps, bit like there is air in the system. The pump was replaced at about 15k under warranty. I checked the level and it was low so have topped up the reservoir but no improvement. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Low and/or lost viscosity of fluid. Time to renew - get a Power Steering Flush-Fill service.

·
Registered
200 Posts
One question is why was it low? Is it a leak from the pump? do you see any lost fluid beneath the pump?

One of the classic tests for seeing if you have a leak (which also lets air into the system) is to have a look in the reservoir after a journey and if it looks like cappuchino, then it's normally a leak.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Actually small amounts of fluid will need to be added over time due to vaporization. The power steering system is a high pressure hydraulic system that operates at high pressures and temps. It is normal for hydraulic fluid (power steering fluid) to vaporize in very small amounts under those operating conditions, High heat and high pressure. That's partially why the cap is vented. The crap you remove on the outside of the cap and around the reservoir are the remnants of fluid vapor and the dirt it has attracted over time. If all you have to do is add an ounce or two of fluid to a tight system over a long period of time, I'd say the system is working very well.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ta. I've flushed about 4L through the system but the problem remains. It only occurs when cold and the judder is accompanied by a slight squeal from the belt. The belt was changed at the last service (summer 17) but I'm wondering if it's worth putting another on in case it's slipping. Only other bits are the tensioner and the pump.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.