Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I need answer to my question. I need to do a prelift engine into facelift car. I see that lift engine had different camshaft sensors and different connector to body. Is it enough to just swap ECU and cut wires and solder them by the colors?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
986 Posts
There are many differences between the early 3.0l and the later 2.5l. If you swap the ECU, there will be a lot of compatibility and communication issues with the rest of the car. I don't think that would work?

Reactions: MrKis

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
It would be possible to do the swap but you need the ECU and engine wiring loom from a 3.0l 2004 model as well or maybe its possible (and this would be the way i would go for) to re-use the 2.5l engine loom, sensors ect and ECU on the older 3.0l.

However you need SSD to tell the system that you have a 3.0l now if you re-use the 2.5 ecu or add the 3.0 ecu.

Reactions: MrKis

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
This is 3.0 from donor car, it doesn't had sensors in top-front part of valve cover.
On second photo is engine that was in 2004 car.

I really think to just cut wires from connector in 2004 car and connect them by the colors to a 2001 wiring and obviously swap ecu for 3.0 unit.

It would be possible to do the swap but you need the ECU and engine wiring loom from a 3.0l 2004 model as well or maybe its possible (and this would be the way i would go for) to re-use the 2.5l engine loom, sensors ect and ECU on the older 3.0l.

However you need SSD to tell the system that you have a 3.0l now if you re-use the 2.5 ecu or add the 3.0 ecu.
I would use 2.5 wiring loom and sensors to 3.0, but i would need to change heads for newer type 3.0. and i don't know if there will be compatible drivetrain

Attachments

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I really think to just cut wires from connector in 2004 car and connect them by the colors to a 2001 wiring and obviously swap ecu for 3.0 unit.

and i don't know if there will be compatible drivetrain
Some sensors like the coolant temp sensor are relocate so you need to change it. The ECU plug is completely different. Best thing to do is the reuse the engine loom from the main car and lengthen the wires for the coolant sensor.

The 6 speed gearbox will fit the 3.0L. Same bolt pattern. However I don't know if the stall speed of the convertor is the same. In the worst case the stall speed RPM will be a little higher.

Reactions: EndeBeats
1 - 8 of 8 Posts