Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to think putting premium fuel in my cars increased power and kept the internal parts of my engine cleaner but now have changed my mind and think it is just a rip off, and just a way of making more profit from motorists.
I have come to this conclusion after using premium petrol's in both my little Colt and my XK but has had no difference in performance or mpg in either car as the petrol companies claim, and expect no other benefits with the added detergents they are supposed to have.
I am not wasting any more money on these more expensive fuels and just keep to the regular petrol in future.

·
Registered
2.0D XF R Sport. 2018 240BHP Lots of toys and loving the ride
388 Posts
Great news, always believed they were a waste of money and have never bothered but to get someone who has obviously tried it and recorded the results even better!!!!

Thanks for sharing

·
Premium Member
23,812 Posts
Reggie, I have used nothing other than Tesco’s 95 or any other 95 unleaded for that matter and I have never had a problem with mine.:mrgreen:

·
Administrator
10,086 Posts
I just use regular shell petrol, with the drivers card you earn points and vouchers off petrol. So it's worth doing imo as at least you get something back which is the same price as other petrol stations in the area too.

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
I used to think putting premium fuel in my cars increased power and kept the internal parts of my engine cleaner but now have changed my mind and think it is just a rip off, and just a way of making more profit from motorists.
I have come to this conclusion after using premium petrol's in both my little Colt and my XK but has had no difference in performance or mpg in either car as the petrol companies claim, and expect no other benefits with the added detergents they are supposed to have.
I am not wasting any more money on these more expensive fuels and just keep to the regular petrol in future.
Ah but hold on Reggie...

Your engine adjusts to whatever fuel you put in, within reason, to keep the fuel mixture optimum, and shifts continually for best burn.

In.other words it masks out any differences by adjusting timing and fuel air ratio.

Now...

In my 1992 Toyota 1.8 Camry, it certainly does make a difference. Noticeably more power. Oodles, truly. She goes better.

We can get 95 and 98 octane here in Cyprus.

The difference in money is 120-122 cents for 95 octane and 126-128 cents for 98 octane.

The other aspect is that there are (fewer? More? I forget which) detergents in 98 octane so the fuel cleans the engine and fuel path to some degree and is less sooty.

I've often said RedEx fuel injector cleaner is a good idea from time to time.

I use it once per year, the first time in a car I just bought has always been noticeable in smoother idling, smoother pull away and a little more power.

BG44K is another I'm happy with.

There are 2 types, one for diesels and one for petrol engines. Be careful but I don't know if they are drastic.

I put it in at double strength for 2 tankfuls.

I've tried Wynne's but it didn't seem to do much to a Navarra with a fuel pump problem.

I could be wrong so I'll try it again.

Our pal Bluechem might have a good product for cleaning injectors too?

Richard that's 2 plugs in a single day! ;)

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
I tend to use it in my bike, it just seems to be a bit more perky. But as for the cars, I think once you have used a few tank fulls, any "benefits" there might be cleaning out the combustion chamber will have been achieved, so I use it as a 1 in 5 fill up these days. Usually Esso or Shell Nitro. I understand Shell Nitro is the only fuel that doesn't have Methanol in it?

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
Heheheh...

Wot, no pig? :)

That reminds me...

The UK can never meet EU emissions limits no matter what...

We make and eat far too much beautifully tasty bacon!?!! :mrgreen:

Get the Italians to stop polluting by stopping spaghetti and pasta!

Or the Germans to stop making and eating the best Würst!

Or the French to stop baguettes and croissants!

Go away, leave me alone! :)

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I saw a programme, Fifth Gear I think, where they tested different fuels. There was a slight increase in power at the wheels according to dyno tests using V-power but they couldn't establish on a short test the cleaning benefits although they pointed out that if a company says it cleans better, it should or they would be in trouble. They recommended every fourth tank would benefit performance. I found Total fuel to last longer but it's my no means scientific. I'm currently using V-power diesel and I can perceive a performance increase buy it's 12p a litre more than Asda's finest. Pays yer money....

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
If you care to look I believe you will find a few threads on this Forum that both extoll and explain the virtues of using the better grade fuels, both diesel and petrol.

However if it's a cost issue then clearly I can understand the preference for the less expensive product but some suggest that it could ultimately be false economy.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I have used BP premium / normal for a number of years in both of my ST's

With regular runs to North Wales on a weekly basis for 6 years , I had valid results.

The premium does achieve a few to the gallon extra , but doesn't pay for itself.

I now only do as Lost It does , use it every few tanks rather than fuel additives.

With enthusiastic driving , the 2.2 St Tdci , does nearly double the 3.0 V6 on fuel !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Now a days, everywhere in the internet world there is a premium service or premium membership. All the people are "used to" with this thing. So the fuel industry thought "why not we start to do the same thing". And there you go, people are paying more money for nothing better.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I always try and put shell nitro diesel in when i can otherwise regular shell, I don't think i get a great deal more in economy but i do think the car is quieter and smoother and my hearing is not the best in the world.

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Well. I used my 2.2 X type derv on Saturday last to get to London and home, average mpg was 42. I used my 3.0 X type V6 on Sunday, same journey, same speeds, 29.9mpg....

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Well. I used my 2.2 X type derv on saturday last to get to London and home, average mpg was 42. I used my 3.0 X type V6 on Sunday, same journey, same speeds, 29.9mpg....
If I drive my Ford versions of the X type conservatively , I get similar figures.
The ST 2.2d will return 44 all day long on long runs at good motorway speeds.
The ST220 will return 30 on cruise at 70 on an empty motorway.
The problem with the V6 and my exhausts is it sounds nice when active :)
This is when the 3.0 easily goes down to the low 20's but the diesel still returns 40
The 2.2 diesel lump is a cracker , proven so in so many different cars and vans for years.

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
Well. I used my 2.2 X type derv on saturday last to get to London and home, average mpg was 42. I used my 3.0 X type V6 on Sunday, same journey, same speeds, 29.9mpg....
Have you noticed fewer cars in the T Zone this past week Lost One?

I'm wondering if the Khan Ba(h)n is having any effect?

·
Registered
818 Posts
At least every other week I drive from Norfolk down to Chichester to see my girlfriend. I stick pretty much to the speed limits and use cruise all the time I tend to travel late evening and can pretty much sit at the speed limit for the entire length of the M11 & M25 on a good day,. Most of the drives tend to be pretty similar and I can hand on heart say that my 2.2d X Type does more mpg on the premium fuels as opposed to the normal fuels and have had similar results with the XFS

My girlfriend for the past 2 years in her astra has used normal tesco petrol the other week we did a 175m round trip in it to go look at a new car for her (nice little SLK) I put premium fuel in it for her for the drive up and there was enough to last her the rest of the week. When I went back down to see he she said " what you done to my car? its running a lot better" I asked in what way she responded pick up and seems to be running better. She had no idea I had used premium fuel so bit of a blind test

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Have you noticed fewer cars in the T Zone this past week Lost One?

I'm wondering if the Khan Ba(h)n is having any effect?
Nope. Noticed a lot less old Transits and the like though.

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
Nope. Noticed a lot less old Transits and the like though.
Good result if it's keeping Smokeys out?

I guessed it might stop the poorer drivers going in, and they are usually the ones with the old bangers?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.