Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As its getting near Christmas, I thought of treating the car to a private plate, was thinking of doing X400 then my initials, but was thinking most people wont know its model number or may think its a 2000 car instead of a 2008 X type.

Or not bother and buy something else :)

·
Premium Member
23,736 Posts
Purely a personal thing Phil, if it makes you happy then do it.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Personal to you then maybe

Personal to an X Type not so much because they probably won't be available when you replace it

·
Premium Member
23,736 Posts
The way money is going its likely to be for a while as she wants a new house as well lol
A couple of nice ones on this side of Long Lane Phil, or are you thinking further a field.

·
Premium Member
23,736 Posts
The further south, the higher the price and the smaller the property, that’s for sure.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Better than money in the Bank these days. I still own a Family plate which was issued on my Dads Austin A40 Somerset in Bristol in 1954 SHW 333 which is now worth £ 4 figures and my own plate again from 1954 RTM 1 £5 figures so a good investment which you can always pass on the kids. Go for it! If Labour ever managed to get in again they would tax them along with their politics of envy.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Don't make the mistake I did a few years back, I purchased K11 REG which looked great on my XJ or so I thought, but most people saw it as 'KILL REG' which was disappointing, so I left it on the car when I traded it in.
I now just have a random 3 letters and 3 numbers to hide the age of my 2007 XK.

·
Premium Member
17,795 Posts
Personally think they're great but each to their own.

X400 plus initials in going to be car specific, stay away from that its like M3 DAV etc.......great on an M3 but not as good off the car, or BMW 55 etc

If you're going for a personal plate go for a personal plate, personal to you, there are of course also cheap cover plates available but only really any good to hide the age of a car, can be had for around £250

I have X6 JYM for Jim funnily enough

Wife's name is Teresa but everyone calls her Tress so T15 ESS

Both were cheap enough really and had them for 15 years or so

Good luck

Jim

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Mine is on XK 06 followed by my initials. Works perfectly for me, giving the model, exact year, and my full initials.

It would of course be less perfect if I were to sell it (unless I find a buyer with the same initials!) but that doesn’t matter to me: I intend to keep the car long term, and the plate only cost me 400 pounds, so it was great value as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
..my X350 is undergoing extensive paintwork improvements plus I've had all five wheels refurbished. I've added an XJR plate as the icing on the cake. It'll look stunning when it comes back.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Just for info, the cheapest place for private reg plates is the DVLA site. I've bought quite a few from them over the years, mainly car specific.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Just for info, the cheapest place for private reg plates is the DVLA site. I've bought quite a few from them over the years, mainly car specific.
I agree: That's where I bought mine. All fees are included too, apart from the making of the plates themselves.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I agree: That's where I bought mine. All fees are included too, apart from the making of the plates themselves.
...on the plates themselves I've added "4.2 Supercharged V8R SPITFIRE"

The Spitfire is a nibble at all those that drive Beamers and Mercs, etc. During the war, Jaguar were turning out Spitfires whilst BMW were turning out Heinkel 1-11's.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.