Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, it was time for my X to go to a home where someone could fix her up and get back sailing along the road as she should. She needed in excess of another grand spent on her for a new motor and to get her road worthy for the mot, the sills were knackered, and the big ends vibrating destroyed the engine mount. It needed new shock absorbers, driveshaft, track rods, an alternator, new tyres, she was beginning to crash about every single bump like a track day fiesta. I was also getting knocking noises from nearly every side of the car and the gearbox was begging to not feel to smooth either. There was other faults too, but you guys get the idea. She was a beautiful looking car with some nice modifications including the custom exhausts and all the mesh at the front, but I simply could not justify spending another grand on her.

So moving on to bigger and better things- my 1998 Jaguar XJ8- 3.2L V8 auto.

I came across an older bloke who had an XJ8 which he wanted to sell and I offered him my x type with some cash his way, letting him know that the problems with my former cat. He buys and sells cars, so he can obviously see a profit in mine, he claims he is a mechanic so he should have no problem fixing her up. He had agreed to phone me as soon as he has fixed the car before he sells it on, to see it I am interested in getting it back. She was my first love, and if I seen her running again I would probably be determined to get her back, but we will just wait and see.

The XJ8 is a very, very beautiful machine. I mean that low and long body is just genuinely intimidating. She's done 120K with full service history, grey car with creamish interior. A lot of wood! I was originally sceptical, as I have been driving a 3.0 manual, I wasn't sure how good my relationship would be with the auto box. But after a day of driving it.. My god it is just how driving should be. Toddling about in supreme comfort, it feels strange not having anything to do with my foot or left hand whilst driving as I have never drove an auto before. These things are seriously quick, I mean there is the 4.0 model and the XJR, but this 3.2 V8 really does go, especially when that sport button is pressed! I am a little intimidated by the corners, she is a big V8 rear wheel drive car so I imagine she would be a bit of a handful compared to my 60/40 AWD setup. I am scared that after driving this auto, I will never go back to a manual! I am only 19, what have jaguars done to me?! Well simply, they have improved the way I see life, why would you drive anything else when you can drive a jag? Especially for the price of these things. I feel that it is the perfect progression from my V6 X, it's true what they say.. You really need to own one of these things at one point of your life. For some reason I have always fancied one of these big bruisers. The way I see it, you may as well enjoy the big cars like this while you are young. Especially when they are cheaper to insure than a 1.6L civic!

I have a few small issues with it that I would be very appreciative with if you could help me with. I hope you don't mind me posting here! The XJ forums look lonely, not as lively as the X type bunch! And most of the guys I have spoke to on here seem to know their jags very well, so hopefully my XJ's small problems will be easy for you all to conquer.

Ps. Could I be the youngest XJ8 owner? ;)

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
I have one too. A long wheel base model one. I bought it for my daughters Prom, and kept it anyway. It's a car I mess about with sometimes when I'm bored, but I should really get shut. Premium sound, huge interior... I find having the windshield so close to the steering wheel rather strainge though after driving modern stuff with acres of plastic between you and the screen. The single wiper takes some getting used to as well. I'm currently chasing a "gearbox fault" intermittant message on mine.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Nice one gmann!! You've seen the light and got yourself a V8! Those things are pure thoroughbred through and through. You can imagine what I was like driving Andys XJR around for a while - people don't hesitate to get out of your way, people suddenly start giving you respect on the road and letting you through ect and the looks you will be getting at petty stations from more senior people is priceless! Not so much going from that to an S type now but at least I have the V8 to battle with helps a great deal! Going from an X Type to an XJ is a giant leap forward and if you got back to your X you will feel lost.

Enjoy it while you can mate because we both know it won't last and eventually we'll end up in a friggin electric car one day, but not if we can help it!!!

Ryan

G

·
Congrats, I have a 1999 XJR, called Starbug but ought to be called Stabbed Rat

Yes, the XJ forum is dead... long live the X Type forum!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice one gmann!! You've seen the light and got yourself a V8! Those things are pure thoroughbred through and through. You can imagine what I was like driving Andys XJR around for a while - people don't hesitate to get out of your way, people suddenly start giving you respect on the road and letting you through ect and the looks you will be getting at petty stations from more senior people is priceless! Not so much going from that to an S type now but at least I have the V8 to battle with helps a great deal! Going from an X Type to an XJ is a giant leap forward and if you got back to your X you will feel lost. Enjoy it while you can mate because we both know it won't last and eventually we'll end up in a friggin electric car one day, but not if we can help it!!! Ryan
Thanks mate, although I do very much miss my X-type, the roar of this V8 is just insane! I honestly feel like I am driving some sort of American muscle car(I know obviously I am not), but this thing is surely a bigger car than most of the American beasts (crown vics etc). First thing I am going to do to her is get the exact same stainless steel quad exhausts that I had on my X type @ £550 fitted. It made my 3.0 sound amazing, so let's see what it does to a V8! I want to make her my own and put my own touch on her, so when people see her, they know that she is mines, and not my dads or granddads. It is a very executive jag, obviously aimed at the more senior generation, so I aim to personalise/customise her. The looks I get at the petrol station are just crazy, some look absolutely mortified. This is now my second jag, and I have only ever owned cars which are both jags, so I consider myself as a bit of a rookie jag enthusiast;) I will start with the top and bottom mesh grills, and a new set of alloys. And we will go from there! It feels very strange driving an auto, after driving a manual for so long. You put the foot down, and she just sails effortlessly.

Quick question, there is a button next to the sport button on the auto box. But I can't work out what it does, can anyone shed some light as to what it does? I don't want to break the thing, as I imagine these auto gearboxes are not cheap to repair.

Is there any particular way to drive an auto to make sure it is getting treated nicely? Would it be best to just be smooth on the throttle at all times and not make that gearbox kick down? It is an older car, although it drives 100X better than my X. But that's because my X had a lot of problems. Also, the steering feels SO much lighter than my X type, I'm guessing that's because she was AWD, and this beast is RWD. I miss that secure, planted feel on the road that the X gave me. I also miss the 17MPG I was getting out of my 3.0, this thing is struggling to make 12/13MPG! Is that about average for a 3.2 V8?

there is a problem with my windows, the 2 front windows do not go all the way up, they are out of alignment. They just go 'click click click' rather loudly when you attempt to put them all the way up. Is this a easy fix?

Cruise control also seems not to work at all, any ideas as to why this is?

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
I bought the XKR during the summer with a gearbox fault. Haven't had it fixed yet but I've had to keep the X type as the XKR is useless for taking the dogs for a walk and equally useless on the 40 mile commute to work every day.

Incidently my Indy has diagnosed my gearbox fault as a dodgy connector somewhere between the TCM and the gearbox.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Hey G glad you are happy mate! That's the first thing I done when I bought my S - Chopped off the back boxes! Don't see the point in having a V8 unless you can hear it!! You'll have to stick up a vid because i want to hear what she sounds like too! The button next to the sport button is the cruise control on/off switch! Press that then set it on the wheel and she should be good to go! Steering is lighter because of no drive to the front wheels and I think you get a better lock too. Pimp her up mate, you know not silly but sweet and subtle mods �� I tend to be gentle on the pedal, not because am scared of breaking anything, because one small slip can send you flying forwards! Kick down though I like to think of as the party piece!! Like you this I my first auto of my 10 year driving career and to be honest I'm loving it! Yes I do miss a manual but I drive them all day long I work so there is nothing better than jumping into a V8 auto and just cruise on home! Not sure about mpg, but I'm getting around 24, 4 more mpg than I was getting out of my X! I put it down to not having to press the gas as much to get it going....plus on the motorway at 70 she sits a tad over 1500 rpm apposed to under 3k!!!

Enjoy her mate

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
Gman,

well done sir,

i knew you would get a v8!!!!

hope you look after her, as she sounds very nice.
as you said, make her yours, but subtle.
plenty of advice on here, especially from OC's mods

good luck pal

scoobs

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Sweet, i'd love to drive one of those XJ's, they look timeless so look after her, keep her clean and mod it how you like, keep it subtle though like Jagryan says, it's an awesome beast of a car!

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
That button isn't a button if I'm thinking about the same one. It's a cap that you can pull up and then use a screw driver to unlock the thing out of Park if the battery is flat.

G

·
I do have plans to mod my XJR, I've got the wiring schematics for 1999 MY so PM if you want a copy

But I have to say, the exhaust tone is fantastisch on mine, free flow cans and 4" finishers, size really does matter

@Willber - pop up for a drive this weekend mate

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Hi Andy, just seen this. Sorry, can't make it this weekend, I'll try to arrange some free time before you move.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gman, well done sir, i knew you would get a v8!!!! hope you look after her, as she sounds very nice. as you said, make her yours, but subtle. plenty of advice on here, especially from OC's mods good luck pal scoobs
I am very proud of my 'little' XJ;) I think I owe you an apology. I remember a while back making a bold claim that my 3.0 X type with the stainless steel quad exhausts , sounded almost like a V8. Well sir, after driving a roaring V8 I can safely say that it sounds NOTHING like a V6. It is a much deeper and powerful roar, that excites me in such a way that anything my girlfriend could do- would not even come close to the satisfaction that the big old V8 gives me! So I will admit, I was wrong and you were right! I have a lot to learn, you guys can help me along the way! Lol, These cars are a dying breed and in 20 years time I don't imagine that there will be many of the beats left!

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
*Cue comments from V12 owners*
;)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
no apology required bud....just glad you have seen the light and realised that 6 cylinders is not enough!! scoobs
When a female asks what car you drive, a simple response of a 'V8 jag' is enough to make her melt. But I have seen the light.. The amber fuel light that comes on after every journery!! But that's the price you pay to drive in style and class. However.. I'm not too sure which car is faster, my 3.0 manual X or this 3.2 auto V8! Not that it matters, just curiosity! I think the 3.0 would get it from a standstill, but on an open straight road, there is no comparison. I'm not sure about normal V6's, but my 3.0 always felt like it had adequate power! I never came across anything faster in that thing that would challenge me. But the auto gearbox in this XJ just encourages me to drive sensibly! Which is a good thing ;)

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
@willber.... you are probably right lol!!!

@Gman....a good 'V' makes you want to cruise, knowing you have the power.
a good 6 / 4 makes you want to thrash, to make yourself think you have the power. And you are right , in 20 years most will in the scrapheap in the sky, with very few good examples left running

G

·
Don't worry about the speed thing Gman, yes you are only 19 BUT you OWN an XJ V8 :-D
I've driven some really fast cars as I've said before, and I'll probably never be able to afford them. I only got to drive them because I was lucky enough to be in the right job at the right time, some were the bosses cars and the others were customers.
Just enjoy the XJ for what it is a nice comfortable cruiser that wafts you along effortlessly to a sublime soundtrack ;-)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.