Jaguar Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Very nice:)

I'm about to corrupt the X-Type Forum as well as I've just got home with my early Christmas Present / very early 50th Birthday Present to myself. Details to follow

Rick

·
Registered
826 Posts
I just wanted to chip in with a few random "like", "like", "like" s of my own, as a happy owner of another example of the dying breed of "cars that we can enjoy as well as drive from a to b".
V8 ="brrrrmmm". Supercharged = "wwwhhheeeeeeeee ��". V12 = "oh, alright, very nice, sir"
Good luck GMan. Really like those long, slender X308s.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I want a V8! Next year i'm buying one, maybe an XKR.

·
Registered
651 Posts
There's a bargain XJ8 on ebay ATM.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
I think the 3.2's have about 260 bhp? And weight as much as a house. So yeah, your probably right in saying your x would thrash it, it most probably would

But everything I just said above doesn't matter does it

You drive a V8 XJ!!

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
My experience has been that my X would take the V8 to the cleaners, I also tried it aganst a straight 6 XJR and mine comfortably showed that a pair of wheels as well. But that's not what they are about is it? The XJR seemed to spend some time with the traction light flashing, the X didn't it being AWD. It would never be a fair drag race in the wet would it?

But I feel like I'm driving an armchair when I'm in the SJ. It took a while to get used to the windscreen being so close, and the single wiper I can't get on with but it irons the road for you. That's what they do.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Well, either my 2.5 X is unwell or the 3.0 is far superior but my X would have trouble keeping up with my old I6 XJR and no chance against my XJ8 4.2. My auto box on the X is very sluggish so maybe that's it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
My experience has been that my X would take the V8 to the cleaners, I also tried it aganst a straight 6 XJR and mine comfortably showed that a pair of wheels as well. But that's not what they are about is it? The XJR seemed to spend some time with the traction light flashing, the X didn't it being AWD. It would never be a fair drag race in the wet would it? But I feel like I'm driving an armchair when I'm in the SJ. It took a while to get used to the windscreen being so close, and the single wiper I can't get on with but it irons the road for you. That's what they do.
Could not agree more, I am not a fan of the single wiper and it just feels so different to my X type, especially with the windscreen so close! I miss the 18 way adjustable seats in my X, and the fact that EVERYTHING worked in it, apart from the engine and clutch. Haha, I once had a chap in a XJ8 tailgate me and attempt to overtake me, when I was in cruise at 55 in a 50 zone, I was not to happy and I noticed that the road was straight with no dangerous obstructions in the way.. So I waited until he pulled out for the overtake, I put the 3.0 manual wildcat into 3rd and woooosh, he was just a memory. I can imagine he was very embarrassed pulling back into his correct lane, staring at my quad exhausts and thinking to himself that it was the wrong jag to overtake and it wasn't just one of those diesel mondeos with a jag badge on it huh ;) I found that most people wouldn't treat my X type like a 'real' jag, even though it most certainly was, any X type is a real jag. Where as this has a much more jaguar feel to it and a lot more wood in it also, I don't get anyone telling me that this brute is a ford. Even though I am sure ford owned jag at the time this thing was produced.

People seem to move out the way for me in this car and it genuinely feels like a more powerful presence on the roads, even though my x type would thrash it in almost every aspect. But the x type did not have the classy 'V8' chrome badge in between the doors, that is very much to my liking! I am pretty sure the x type 3.0 manual was one of the fastest accelerating cars in it's class? There was something about that manual gearbox that didn't feel very jaguarish though, I loved having a manual cat, but it just feels right wafting about in a big auto. Most of my friends do not understand why I have got a big gas guzzling auto v8 jag at 19.. Their eyes just do not see the beauty that I see when I look at a jaguar. After driving a jag, I don't think I will ever want to own another brand of car. By the time I am 30, I want to be able to say that I have not owned any other car apart from jags. But only the older ones, I am not a fan of the current styling of the bigger jags, I just can't see the current XJ looking very appealing in 15 years time, whereas the old XJ's still look beautiful to this day. The styling is just very unique and timeless. I am very much looking forward to modifying it, a black respray is on the cards for the future. Better get saving!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well, either my 2.5 X is unwell or the 3.0 is far superior but my X would have trouble keeping up with my old I6 XJR and no chance against my XJ8 4.2. My auto box on the X is very sluggish so maybe that's it.
I have been told that it is honestly a huge difference between the 2.5 and the 3.0, especially with the manual gearbox. There is faster cars out there, but the 3.0 manual is a very quick car for what it is and there is not a lot of big cars out there that are going to embarrass it. Even the big V8 XJ's! But I wouldn't fancy it's chances against a 390HP supercharged XJR, those things intimidate me!

·
Registered
651 Posts
I had quiet a few laughs in the XJR but as it only had Traction control (no such thing as CATS and DSC), which hardly ever worked most fun was to be had in the wet. The XJ8 is far better mannered (so far :)).

·
Registered
643 Posts
I test drove a 2.5 auto before I bought mine and immediately crossed it off my wanted list as it felt very, as you say, sluggish. There's a big difference with the 2.5 and 3.0.

·
Administrator
9,735 Posts
The V8 Jag club is a great place to be! I also stepped up from a 3.0L X-Type estate to the XK 4.2 and the power difference is nuts. I love Automatics, in fact this is my 3rd Jag and all have been autos, wouldn't have anything else now, especially with flappy paddles.

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
A while back there was a group of us Xbox players all bought Forza 4. I'm not a big fan of these games but we had a few giggles as I always insist on using the "sat in car" view, I've never ever managed to drive a car sat behind and about 8 foot above yet so when I set the races it was in car view only...

Well it got serious, some of us bought steering wheels, some bought seats, some went completely silly and bought a rocking car seat.

I went to a mate of mine and borrowed his steering wheel and pedals set up complete with "flappy paddles" to try out. First corner I came to I promtly fell off the chair into a heap leaning into the curve.....

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.