Jaguar Forum banner
61 - 80 of 145 Posts

· Premium Member
2016 Autobiography
2,420 Posts
Only recommendation I can suggest is make sure car is on the level. If at an incline (my drive on a slight incline for example) throws the reading out by miles.
I take mine to somewhere local that’s quiet to do my oil changes that is close enough to level for me. From empty to full I’m usually 6.2 litres to just over half way on the dash. I don’t think it starts registering until after 5.5 ish as anything lower would be way too little and keep it below the minimum.

Reactions: JimC64 and #steve

· Premium Member
2017 Autobiography
12,767 Posts
My understanding is that you don't want to be overfilling it.

... but listening to me for technical advice is the definition of futility.

· Registered
Black 2018 XJ Premium Luxury V6 D AUTO
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Now its all done.
My son did some research on resetting the service counter. He found a video and it worked. Here's the steps. I'm temped to make a new post with these instructions, but I think others may have tried it without success and thought safer to post here first. So that if anyone more knowledgeable is aware of any potential downside to trying this it can be included with the instruction

To reset service counter tried on 2018 Diesel XJ
Get in CLOSE DOOR
Turn on ignition without starting engine
Open Bonnet
Open Driver's door
Apply accelerator and brake pedals simultaneously for 20 seconds

· Registered
3,592 Posts
Now its all done.
My son did some research on resetting the service counter. He found a video and it worked. Here's the steps. I'm temped to make a new post with these instructions, but I think others may have tried it without success and thought safer to post here first. So that if anyone more knowledgeable is aware of any potential downside to trying this it can be included with the instruction

Get in CLOSE DOOR
Open Bonnet
Open Driver's door
If that worked for you, I'd post that procedure up in the Stickies section, and at least people can try it on theirs :)

If it does work for (probably only later) x351, that is a great find.

· Premium Member
17,932 Posts
If you are filling the diesel engine to the max limit with oil and changing it every 4-5000 miles then it should be OK.

I can see the problems starting when leaving it to the recommended intervals.
Bob on there Steve

That is certainly possible.
... but I am perfectly happy to pay for the extra 400 ml. I'm just a soft touch.
Lol, not the paying for it Mac, just saying they won't be filling up wth 7 litres as capacity is 6.6 to max.

My understanding is that you don't want to be overfilling it.
Absolutely...

Now its all done.

Get in CLOSE DOOR
Open Bonnet
Open Driver's door
Tony, seen that before some time ago, tried and didn't work on my 2016, so curious to know if it works on yours?

Jim

· Premium Member
2017 Autobiography
12,767 Posts
How does one open the bonnet when sat in the driver's seat with the door shut? I need to be in front of the car to do mine (having been in the passenger side first).

... maybe I am doing the bonnet thing wrong - it wouldn't surprise me!

· Premium Member
17,932 Posts
Lean over to the passenger side and pull the release lever.
Unless you have the lithe agility of a 12 yr old Russian dancer, that's never going to happen Tony, these are very big cars too.
Now a passenger already installed to assist maybe?

Jim

· Registered
7,444 Posts
Unless you have the lithe agility of a 12 yr old Russian dancer, that's never going to happen Tony, these are very big cars too.
Now a passenger already installed to assist maybe?

Jim
I just lay across both seats, there is no way I can reach from the drivers seat lol.

You would think by now I would know the lever is on the "wrong" side!

· Registered
953 Posts
I mentioned that I do very low mileage, probably less than 6,000 miles a year, mainly short journeys but with the occasional 100 to 200 mile journey, and so far seem to be getting away with 2 oil changes a year. I didn't mention one was by the main dealer (to get the stamp) and the other is DIY. I was very interested in the trick to reset the service indicator.
  • Get in CLOSE DOOR
  • Turn on ignition without starting engine
  • Open Bonnet (difficult!)
  • Open Driver's door
  • Apply accelerator and brake pedals simultaneously for 20 seconds
Has anyone else tried it yet? I couldn't reset mine with my iCarSoft v2.

Reactions: #steve and JimC64

· Premium Member
17,932 Posts
I mentioned that I do very low mileage, probably less than 6,000 miles a year, mainly short journeys but with the occasional 100 to 200 mile journey, and so far seem to be getting away with 2 oil changes a year. I didn't mention one was by the main dealer (to get the stamp) and the other is DIY. I was very interested in the trick to reset the service indicator.
  • Get in CLOSE DOOR
  • Turn on ignition without starting engine
  • Open Bonnet (difficult!)
  • Open Driver's door
  • Apply accelerator and brake pedals simultaneously for 20 seconds
Has anyone else tried it yet? I couldn't reset mine with my iCarSoft v2.
I tried it Bob and didn't work on my 2016 could be wrong but, I think Glenn may have tried too and didn't work on his.
Maybe he'll confirm that one way or the other?

Tony seems adamant though, so well worth giving it a shot.

Jim

· Registered
953 Posts
Here is my service history.
DATE
ODOMETER
MILEAGE
SERVICE
SERVICED BY
16/04/2019​
33​
33​
PDI​
Jaguar, Browns Lane, Coventry​
03/12/2019​
1,045​
1,012​
12 months​
JLR, Gaydon​
16/04/2021​
1,428​
383​
24 months​
C. Walton Ltd Jaguar, Bruntingthorpe​
28/12/2021​
4,576​
3,148​
Interim oil & filter​
Owner​
31/03/2022​
5,236​
660​
36 months​
Guy Salmon (Sytner)
Maidstone​
Must be due now, I'm up to 8,500 miles and I've just realised it's 8 months and nearly 3,300 miles since the previous service. Just ordered some Amazonian oil and filter.

· Registered
Black 2018 XJ Premium Luxury V6 D AUTO
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
So its now been a week and I've driven about 100 miles. I got the oil to about one or 2 marks away from max when replaced. Checking it now its showing at max. I'm a bit concerned about it and considering taking a bit out. I don't think its down to level of the ground as it's also showing max in the same parking space it was showing a little lower earlier in the week.

61 - 80 of 145 Posts