Jaguar Forum banner
81 - 100 of 144 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Autobiography
2,387 Posts
Icarsoft v2 works for the cars Moses used to drive, then for facelift cars you need a £5000 scan tool. After 2018 just open the door.
I now have a £320 Autel MK808 and that does reset the newer XJ’s service indicator unlike the icarsoft.

I’m not sure id just be taking some oil out, if it’s increased in leve since changing the oil I’d imagine it’s some serious dilution issue?

·
Registered
7,417 Posts
So its now been a week and I've driven about 100 miles. I got the oil to about one or 2 marks away from max when replaced. Checking it now its showing at max. I'm a bit concerned about it and considering taking a bit out. I don't think its down to level of the ground as it's also showing max in the same parking space it was showing a little lower earlier in the week.
That sounds like a faulty sensor or the piston rings have failed.

·
Registered
XJ X351 Portfolio
660 Posts
That sounds like a faulty sensor or the piston rings have failed.
This. Oil dilution is measured in single digit percentage. I believe that max dilution allowed before oil change is needed is 8% which would be a tad over 0.5 litre. But even on the Euro 6 engines this would only occur after 000s of miles, not 100.
It is very easy to misread the oil level immediately after an oil change and my guess is that this has been the case here.

·
Registered
7,417 Posts
This. Oil dilution is measured in single digit percentage. I believe that max dilution allowed before oil change is needed is 8% which would be a tad over 0.5 litre. But even on the Euro 6 engines this would only occur after 000s of miles, not 100.
It is very easy to misread the oil level immediately after an oil change and my guess is that this has been the case here.
Good point, hopefully you're right!

·
Premium Member
2017 Autobiography
12,693 Posts
This is one of the reasons why my oil is changed by someone else. I value my engine too much to mess with it.

·
Premium Member
2017 Autobiography
12,693 Posts
That's actually the reason I do it myself and DON'T let some inexperienced junior (which is what you get for oil changes, even at a dealership) get anywhere near my engine oil and filter!
I use an indy, rather than a dealer.

... although, to be fair, I am likely to be a lot worse at it than even the greenest junior at a dealer!

·
Registered
86 Posts
It's actually very easy to change engine oil and filter on the Ingenium engines. The filter is mounted at the top of the engine and oil within its housing flows back into the sump as the top is unscrewed and the filter element removed - so there's no mess. It's then a matter of minutes to take off the old filter and clip in the new one. The engine oil can then be sucked out of the sump using a simle manually operated vacuum pump with its tube pushed down the dipstick tube. So there's no need to get under the car at all.
I can agree that other engines with filters underneath are harder to deal with, and ones without dipsticks are more difficult to get the oil level correct after the change. Why Jaguar (and indeed other manufacturers) have removed the simple and reliable dipstick on some of their engines and replaced it with a less reliable electronic gauge, I do not understand.
Still, I absolutely agree that an Indy will be much better at doing a good job than a Dealership or, worse, a quick-change outfit like Halfords.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Looks like mine is 2000 miles off from asking for an oil change (and will probably drop faster too at the rate its been going!) so starting to look for the kit needed. I may look tomorrow to see if there's anyone doing blaxk Friday offeres!

Is it just 5w30 oil I need?

·
Premium Member
17,834 Posts
Looks like mine is 2000 miles off from asking for an oil change (and will probably drop faster too at the rate its been going!) so starting to look for the kit needed. I may look tomorrow to see if there's anyone doing blaxk Friday offeres!

No Not "just" 5w30 Jimmy

Jim

·
Premium Member
17,834 Posts

Just checked for you, see here

SAE 05W-30 API SN/CF ACEA C1/C2
LAND ROVER/JAGUAR
ST JLR.03.5005
FORD WSS-M2C934-B
Capacity 6.5 litres

Get your buying done whilst the bargains are out there, save more than a few ££

Jim

·
Registered
218 Posts

LAND ROVER/JAGUAR
ST JLR.03.5005
FORD WSS-M2C934-B
Capacity 6.5 litres

Jim
Thanks Jim. I shall take a look, I did have the oil change page of your thread bookmarked with the various specs, but I had a new phone since!

I've found a 9L vaccum pump for £36. I'll see if I can get a diagnostic tool on offer tomorrow as well.

·
Premium Member
17,834 Posts

LAND ROVER/JAGUAR
ST JLR.03.5005
FORD WSS-M2C934-B
Capacity 6.5 litres

Jim
I use Mannol myself, in a 20 litre drum for about £75 - £85 depending on when you buy

Others use the same and also Westway or Smith and Allan......as long as it meets the spec STJLR.03.5005

Cheers
Jim

·
Premium Member
17,834 Posts
Blimey, 20L of it on Ebay is £200 now! Looking onpimez it's out if stock in quote a few places too.
See above for oil Jimmy

What diagnostic tool you going for?

Jim

81 - 100 of 144 Posts