Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 XK 5.0 My radio unit has developed a nasty habit of going on and off by itself. Use to be 3 times then would stay on. Today kept going on/off for about half an hour . Haven't any idea where or how to solve the problem. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
23,783 Posts
If you are sitting in the car without the engine running then this is normal, if it’s happening whilst driving then this is a different problem.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Interesting. Is it just the radio or does the problem occur when playing CD or using AUX or Satellite Radio as well? Also when you note "going on and off by itself, is the volume completely cutting out? I assume that's what you mean but may be misreading your comment. Confirming the behavior can be replicated (failing) while playing CD would help steer in a direction. The Radio is housed in the audio control module and embedded as part of the CD player. At first blush, you're describing the "head unit" failing, or perhaps the Amp.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting. Is it just the radio or does the problem occur when playing CD or using AUX or Satellite Radio as well? Also when you note "going on and off by itself, is the volume completely cutting out? I assume that's what you mean but may be misreading your comment. Confirming the behavior can be replicated (failing) while playing CD would help steer in a direction. The Radio is housed in the audio control module and embedded as part of the CD player. At first blush, you're describing the "head unit" failing, or perhaps the Amp.
The whole thing goes off. Say screen was on Navigation, the unit goes to the grey Jaguar screen, then back to home screen, then off again etc.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
The whole thing goes off. Say screen was on Navigation, the unit goes to the grey Jaguar screen, then back to home screen, then off again etc.
This can happen due to one of the components in the fibre optic loop failing, nav or Bluetooth module for instance. You would have to disconnect one at a time to find out which one. You would need a fibre optic link lead as the loop has to be complete for anything to work. Disconnect one module use link lead to complete the loop, repeat on each module until your radio stops going off, then replace which ever one is causing the problem

Reactions: swwags

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This can happen due to one of the components in the fibre optic loop failing, nav or Bluetooth module for instance. You would have to disconnect one at a time to find out which one. You would need a fibre optic link lead as the loop has to be complete for anything to work. Disconnect one module use link lead to complete the loop, repeat on each module until your radio stops going off, then replace which ever one is causing the problem
Thank you. Way out of my league, guess need to take to dealer, cringe at the likely cost of repair.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts