Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it requires charging, I plug my phone into the cigar lighter using a 2-way USB adaptor and USB cable. But when I do this and have the radio on I find I get a load of interference and hiss that makes it impossible to listen to the radio while charging the phone, which is a PITA especially on longer journeys.

Does anyone know why this should be and have any suggestions as to how I can eliminate this?

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Interesting one. I suppose it could happen either due to a disturbance in the power supply, or interference in the RF transmission.

Probably less likely that the phone could cause significant power supply interference due to the small current required to run the device.

That leaves radio frequency interference. The phone will have gone through strict RF tests to ensure RF is below limits, but the charging cable probably hasn't.

So I'd go for a cable change first. If it's not well shielded it could be leaking RF. The shorter the cable the better.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You see, I just knew someone would have a sensible suggestion! My knowledge on this stuff can be considered minimal to zero. Thanks Jag-Black, I will try swapping the charging cable and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
If you are using the supplied charger psu then these are high frequency 'buck/switched mode' type - like your PC psu.

These are noisy in themselves but the cable can also act as an antenna, which is why they are sometimes supplied with a ferrite bead clamped around the cable, my Nextbase dashcam has this.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
No worries. I'm guessing all the way and graham-r nailed it.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Graham, I happened to have a spare ferrite bead which I tried on the charging cable but it makes no difference. I reckon either the cable is the problem or possibly the USB plug in the cigar lighter. I will try swapping the cable first and then the plug.

Many thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will give it a go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.