Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm researching the best way to clean and treat the soft top of my Xkr convertible. I'm keen to hear real life experience of cleaning and sealing the roof to make it repel water as the body work does after a good cover of wax.

Please recommend products and how best to go about this process.

thanks
Ian

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
303 Convertible Top Cleaner, followed by 303 Fabric Guard, these worked brilliantly on my wife's old MX-5. Water would bead off the fabric just as you describe, as if it was very smooth, waxed metal.

Spray the cleaner on and agitate with a suitable brush, this will produce a foamy lather which should be rinsed off. Allow the hood to dry fully then spray the Fabric Guard product on liberally and work it into the fabric by hand (wear nitrile gloves or similar). Once fully dry, mist the hood with a hose, look for any areas where the water doesn't bead off - if you have any then allow to dry as before and apply more Fabric Guard to the relevant area.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
What if anything is between the canvas top and the interior? If no treatment is applied will it eventually just drip inside or is there more to it...?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I'm using Renovo Ultraproofer at present (same as I use on my boat) but it can't stop heavy rain soaking in. Short of clingfilm I can't think of anything that would!

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
I don't know the technical details of how these things work but certainly do try the 303 stuff, it worked very well for us in the past.

Edit to add: had a quick look on Youtube for videos, found this - we basically saw this sort of beading on the MX-5 and it lasted well:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.