Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
S TYPE V6 3ltr PETROL AUTO. Parking sensor has stoppedal working. Gives out the bleeps when in reverse but does not change when approaching obsticle. Where is the control unit ? It is not, repeat NOT in the spare wheel-well, which is where I expected it to be. Anyone give me some clues ??
Thanks

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
What year?

It's most likely a sensor fault, sometimes you can hear them not "ticking" but sometimes it will require a decent DIAG tool to tell which sensor.

TT

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK thanks for that. Year 2004 and owned for 3 months 58k genuine on clock. Really enjoying driving this. I have a mechanics stethoscope thingy, so should be able to listen for ticking from each sensor. Job for tomorrow with other half sitting in car. Any idea where control unit is ?

·
Registered
515 Posts
I thought they were all in the spare wheel well on the left hand side as you look in.

RC

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No definately not in my vehicle. There is wiring in the w-well nearest to rear on passenger side, but no unit connected. And before somebody say's anything, the rear sensors WERE WORKING when I fist had the car.
Opps sorry, did'nt mean to shout folks !!!

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi, No, I know the previous owner very well. However perhaps owner before that. I very much doubt if aftermarket unit is fitted, and as I said, the sensor system was working fine for the first couple of weeks of my ownership. Anyway thanks all for help. I will carry out further investigation tomorrow and report back.
Thanks.....

·
Registered
6,390 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
David, when you say the sensor gives out bleeps when in reverse is this a continual bleep? I only ask because, as you will know if the system was originally working normally, the sensors remain quiet until the vehicle approaches an obstacle at which point they bleep faster as you get closer. However, when one of the sensors fails then you get a higher pitched continual bleep during the whole reverse manouvre and there is no change in tone with proximity. The high pitched bleep simply warns you that the sensors are inoperative, usually one has failed. They're a bit of a pain to replace as you have to remove the rear bumper but new sensors are usually available on eBay and it is a DIY afternoon's job. You can detect a failed sensor by listening up close (your stethoscope is just right for this) and they should emit a ticking noise when the car has ignition on and reverse selected.

·
Premium Member
23,823 Posts
No need for the wife to be anywhere near the car. Turn the ignition on to position II and select reverse. If the sensors are working correctly they should emit a ticking sound. Check also that they are spotlessly clean.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK just checked rear sensors. Three from four are giving a little ticking sound. (I was expecting the sound to be louder. Maybe my hearing is giving up !) Anyway the offside one gives nothing. I believe this one can be reached through the light cluster aperture. I hope so. Do not fancy removing the rear bumper.
If I could locate the control unit, the first thing is probably to check wiring / connector, but still have not located it.
Am I on the right track ???

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.