Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have tried to change the rear anti roll bar bushes and the bolts on the d clamps are totally siezed and i have now rounded the heads off. Would it be possible to grind the heads off and try to get the bolts out with mole grips? also what size are the bolts, Any advise would be greatful.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,060 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
6,474 Posts
Can you make a cut in the nut with a "Dremel". They usually fall off after that. If the bolt is not welded to the car, you don't have to be so careful and can cut the nut and bolt with an angle grinder. Check if retaining the bolts is necessary :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
406 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,660 Posts
You don't need to worry, when I've encountered rusted solid nuts and bolts (happens a lot having Land Rovers lol) I use a penetrating oil/freeze spray. It freezes the fasteners down to -20 and the penetrating oil can get in to do its job, if you've already rounded the nuts or bolts off though you need to use cam sockets.
I use a set of Grip-Tite sockets or spanners, they are designed to bite into the head of the fastener and the more torque you apply the harder they bite, they have never failed yet.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,060 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,370 Posts
I don't know if the style of bolts varied over the production years, but mine were male Torx headed bolts and fixed, welded nuts. Access to the ones almost out of sight behind the ARB was limited! The job was straight away a miserable one!!

I bought a brand new Torx socket, but the bolt was already rusted so badly that the heads just rounded off. After more copious applications of Plus Gas the bolts were as tight as ever as I attacked them with mole grips. The final successful solution was heat. Lots of heat - heat up bolt, undo one turn, reheat again and again. And that was the easily accessible bolts!

For the ones behind the ARB, having loosened them a bit using heat as before, I attacked the rubber bushes with any sharp implement that would get near them. When they were eventually removed in pieces, this allowed the cap piece to be rotated to open up the access to the back bolts, but I had to undo the two ARB links at the ends as well. With more heat and molegrips, the back bolts too eventually gave up!

I cleaned the fixed nut threads by running a tap through.

Having fitted the new bushes I used stainless steel cap bolts and washers as I tend to do whenever I remove old original bolts. Next time it will be a doddle.

As ever, jam tomorrow, never today!!
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top