Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took my newly-acquired X350 to MIJ in Walsall yesterday to have the rear boxes replaced, simply to enhance the sound.

I was amazed at how quiet things were after the silencers were removed! I was advised that regardless of what replacements are fitted, it'd sound pretty much the same so it'd be best to go for straight-through pipes.

This I did and 2 hours later I drove away with a smile :-D

The sound before:

The sound after:

I didn't want anything excessive and what I ended up with is subtle but noticeable. The ends also now fit the oval cutouts exactly, meaning it looks far better from the rear.

Happy!

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Nice Growler :-D looks good too.

Roger

·
Registered
672 Posts
That sounds really good. Do you mind me asking how much the upgrade was? Also, what does it sound like on the motorway cruising?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Yep, I'd be keen to know that too.

No plans yet, but at least I know not to be concerned by the 'agricultural' noise it might have generated.
That sounds really nice.

Phil.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sounds really good. Do you mind me asking how much the upgrade was? Also, what does it sound like on the motorway cruising?
Sure - it was £265 and took just under 2hrs. A little more than I expected as I was quoted just £20 more for 2 bespoke boxes.

Whilst on the motorway there's a little more noise from the rear as you'd expect, but the most noticeable difference is around town where there's a bit of a drone! It's not intrusive but there's a definite difference from before I had the boxes removed. Looking at your sound system though, I don't think you'd notice if the entire exhaust was taken off!

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, I'd be keen to know that too.

No plans yet, but at least I know not to be concerned by the 'agricultural' noise it might have generated. That sounds really nice.
Hi Phil,

As previously mentioned the noise is certainly not intrusive and FAR less than my 2.5 X-Type with 2 bespoke mid-sport boxes. I've yet to hear it whilst I'm outside & somebody else drives past - I'll let you know.

James

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Hi Phil,
As previously mentioned the noise is certainly not intrusive and FAR less than my 2.5 X-Type with 2 bespoke mid-sport boxes. I've yet to hear it whilst I'm outside & somebody else drives past - I'll let you know. James
I'm glad you brought that up James.

I always want to see and hear my own car being driven, but I don't like anyone actually driving it.
Yeah, I'm weird.....

Don't like Jaguar's for that reason - never anything to hear (except feint tyre noise).
Great to see though......:).

Phil.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I gave mine the boot coming out of a roundabout in Gloucester back in the summer, and with the sunroof open ... oooh ... it growled very nicely :-D

(Standard exhaust !)

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
The sound of yours is identical to my ST220 , Stevie Wonder wouldn't be able to tell the difference :)

Its a cracking engine that V6 , I don't imagine the gross weight is much more on the X350 either in comparison.

The twin turbo oil burner still makes sense for big miles , the V6 petrol is a no brainer though for >10k mileage users.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.