Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 x type 2.5 petrol 4 door saloon, can anyone tell me how to remove the chrome strips from the rear bumper, tried removing with my plastic removing tools but only the ends come loose, not wanting to break any clips and wonder if you have to undo anything behind the bumper.

Thanks for any replies

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
There are some flat pegs that locate in slots in the chrome trim that have to be pushed out from behind the bumper. Only the very end clip is a push in type.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Seem to remember that you had to slide the trim sideways or something, but my memory's not too good nowadays.
The chrome on mine was pitted and blistered and looked awful so I enquired about the cost of having them re-plated. Once having recovered from the price quoted I looked on Ebay for secondhand ones thinking that anything would be better than mine even if they had a few dents and a bit of rust. When they arrived I was surprised to find how pristine they were but instead of metal they were plastic. I never thought I'd say anything good about plastic but in this case it's so much more durable than metal and looks every bit as good.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Britishparts do them new for £34 each, I bought a set as the stealership here in Norway quoted me £150 each! The money saved covered my airfare and hire car. I have since brought back everything for a major service inc brake discs, the oil I buy from Germany as its cheaper than oil in Norway our main product...! Also tyres are half price delivered from Dekkonline in Germany.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Chrome Vinyl Wrap is a cheap alternative to re-chroming trim, i had to do the door surround when i swapped the door for one without chrome, you cant tell the difference between the original chrome and the vinyl wrap. paid about £2 for 1.5m x 0.3m which would be enough to do the inserts. you wouldnt even need to take the pieces off, you can just heat the vinyl wrap and fold it round, then trim with a sharp knife.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.