Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My 2.2d 2006 estate didn't pass the MOT this week. Lots of problems with the EGR, tyres not all matching, self-made repair on one driveshaft boot,... all things that worried me but at the end it didn't pass because... the middle seat belt of the rear seat is stuck... Cannot pull it out and therefore cannot attach it. Never noticed it because I never use that belt. At first I thought, no big deal, but it turns out to be more complicated than I first thought. I read here on the forum many posts reporting that this was a security feature, if the seat is not latched properly, to prevent people taking off with the rear seat in case of an accident. But in my case, I have folded the seat, slammed it back, gently, then a bit more firmly, then firmly, very hardly... I have kicked the back of the seat, and nothing would release it... :mad:
I also looked at the latch on the side of the seat, if it's a security feature, I would guess there is there a kind of button that needs to be pushed for releasing the belt, but I can't see anything fancy there, so I don't know how that security feature works.
I took out the plastic cover on the top edge of the seat, where the belt comes out, and it looks like the winder is just about 10cm from the top of the seat, but well protected by a solid metallic frame. So besides tearing my leather seat or sawing through the back of the seat, I don't know what to do... Any help much appreciated

· Registered
5,836 Posts
Have you tried inching the belt out slowly at different angles?
The retractor is bolted to the metalwork under the foam and trim. I can't recall if it bolts from the front or back though, but either way the metal pan needs to be de-trimmed.

· Registered
690 Posts
As Billy2Jags says, but also put the car on a level surface - happened with mine when my daughter wanted to give a lift to a friend - 5 yards to where it was flat and with gentle jiggling the belt came free...

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,
Just wanted to report about the above-mentionned issue with the middle seat-belt, it might be useful to someone else in the future. I took off the back seat (cushion + backrest), didn't have to tear the leather of the backrest to access the belt, because it is quite well conceived in fact, and the workshop manual clearly explains how to proceed. See picture.

Hand Hood Automotive exterior Automotive tire Finger

Once I had removed the leather, the fabric on the back of the backrest, and lifted the seat foam, I could see and access the belt. I could also see this famous security cable that prevents the belt from coming out when the backrest is not properly locked. See picture, where you can see the cable going from the belt winder on the right to the hinge on the left.
Product Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Wood

The problem in my case is that the little plastic part that connects the cable to a kind of nipple on the hinge was broken... and thus if the hinge rotates (when it closes), it doesn't entrain the cable anymore, which keep pushing on the belt and prevents it from unrolling. You can see the plastic and nipple on the next picture:
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Finger Motor vehicle

I didn't want to buy a new hinge, and the workaround I found was to disconnect the cable on the belt winder side, so that it stops pushing on the belt. It means that I shouldn't have an accident with someone seated in the middle (low probability) and the backrest not properly latched (even lower probability).
However, after having put everything back in place, I discovered that the cable is not only a security device, but it also locks the belt when I fold the backrest,. Now the belt winds a bit when I fold the backrest, and the belt is then slightly too short for letting the backrest comes back into place... I thus have to remember to fasten the seat belt before I want to fold the backrest (I leave it fasten all the time in fact)...

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.