Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999 XKR.
The rear impact absorbing bumper is held on with two large bolts accessible from underneath which have captive nuts on top of the plastic beam, but one of mine is loose and unable to tighten as the captive nut is no longer captive.
I visited my local Jag garage who happened to be working on a similar problem at the time. The mechanic worried me saying that he has heard about the whole bumper section flying off at speed due to corrosion of those steel bolts in the aluminium sleeve.
Anyone here have any tips about removing the bolt from the captive nut without having to break the funnel shaped plastic supports to get the impact absorbing bumper off?
Thank you

G

·
I think it is unlikely (impossible) for the bumper to "fly off" - if the bolt has seized itself into the "captive nut" there would have to be very serious corrosion in the car's rear bodywork for that to happen.

But .............. if that bolt won't come out, there's no simple solution. I seem to remember a few posts - certainly one from RaceDiagnostics - with photographs of his procedure, but it was basically the same as this

http://www.grantleydesign.com/fitting_instructions.htm

Ignore the product they are selling, but it shows what you are up against. New brackets are around £50.00 so not the end of the world financially !!

Once (if !!) you get the rear bumper off, make sure you put lots of grease (I use the copper stuff but other greases are available) on the bolt, insert, and pretty much everywhere else. Also - while it is off - have a really good look at the two metal brackets which support the front of the bumper. They are part of the car bodywork, and although repair sections are available, they can also rust badly. Expensive to fix as welding is involved, and a tin of waxoyl liberally spread around that whole area is a good investment for the future !!

This is what I'm talking about :

http://www.xk8-parts.com/2017/01/ja...ear-bumper-to-inner-structure-repair-bracket/

· Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Hi David, the OP's problem is that the captive nut is no longer captive and I assume the bolt and nut just spins. In this case the bumper should be OK as the only thing that can break is the bumper itself.
If you need to take the bumper off the only way I can think of is to remove the bolt head and then tackle the bolt and captive nut when the bumper is off. If that cannot be done then the only other answer is to hold the head with mole grips and drill the bolt out.

Roger

G

·
Roger - agreed - the bumper can't fly off. But - (and I wish I had taken a few phorographs) - the bolt goes through the bracket and into a "captive insert" in the top of the bumper. If that captive insert is spinning, then the only way to get the bumper off is to hack the bracket off as in the first couple of photos in the link I posted.
It's a long bolt (about 3 inches from memory) so even if the head is removed, the bumper still won't pull off.

In the diagram - the UK bumper mount is on the left - the bolt and spacer are on the other side but go into the bumper, then into the mount, then into the captive insert in the top of the bumper.
Cutting the mounting bracket is the only way to do it !

Once the bumper is off, then the "insert" can be re-epoxied back into the bumper which, if well greased, should make it possible to remove again in the future. A new bumper is a mortgage job, a new bracket is £50.00 !!

Attachments

· Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Thanks David, I did not know how the bolts went but now I know. It looks to me as though these should be loosened and tightened at regular intervals to stop that happening. Bad design if you ask me.

Roger

G

·
Agreed - any combination of aluminium, mild steel, a captive threaded insert into what is basically a lump of plastic, mud, and inaccessibility is not a good idea !

It takes about 5 minutes to undo those bolts, dunk them in grease, and to put them back again. Well worth doing every year or so.

The front mounting brackets are a bit more complicated - the only way to inspect them really is to remove the rear bumper.

· Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. Looks like I have a nice challenge ahead. I'll order up two new plastic brackets and cut off the old ones. My Indi breaks them off somehow.
I have a Milwaukee multi tool wth a saw blade that should do the job.
Jaguar service items should include removal and greasing of these bolts in the service programme!!!! If only..........
Thanks again chaps.

G

·
Your call Stagnite but if one comes out OK, one replacement may be enough. If you can get one of those bolts out OK, then it's worth waiting until the bumper is off before spending £50.00 when that's 10 bottles of rubbish wine from Tesco. Your possible problem will be removing the "insert" from the top of the bumper on the one that's not captive any more. You may have to resort to RaceDiagnostics solution for that. Once it's all in bits, the insert can be re-bonded - Araldite is your friend in this case !!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.